Hello folks!

While I'm taking a break from one build, I wanted to pull out a kit that I've been looking forward to for some time. Rodens 1/72 Sopwith Camel:

DSC05852.jpg

I would like to take this kit, and have some fun in making it to match our good ole Canadian Ace, William George Barkers B6313. I chose this kit as there had been many modifications made to his kite since first flying it - from paint schemes, to engine cowels, along with modifications to the top wing. This Roden kit gives you pretty much all the options available with previous Camels all in one (including 2 different cowels, 3 engines, 2 different styles of weaponry, bombs, upper forward fuselage pieces... etc. This would have been the kit which would have given me most flexibility as at the time I wasn't 100% sure at which point of the war I was going to depict his Camel:

DSC05853.jpg

I finally settled on this shot of his Camel:

BarkerB6313-139e.jpg

Its his Camel near the very end of the war - the most changes done to it. Some of the obvious things are the cut out on top of the wing for visibility, other minor things (visually) are the change in direction of the heart and arrow on the tail, the hand painted stipes (there's A LOT of argument whether the were B&W stripes, or white over the dark green paint underneath). I'm going with the dark green between the hand painted white stripes, and rather than the wood up near the cockpit, it's painted over in a semi-gloss black.

I'm still having a hard time finding whether he had the updated engine or not put on his Camel. IF this was done, the refit would have been done by the time this picture was taken. Either way - 4 openings in the cowel.

For me, this is going to be unique in that I seriously cannot remember when (or even if) I last worked on a 1/72 kit - let alone something tiny like this.. doesn't take up nearly as much space on the work bench as the 1/48 Fort does.

Anywho, onto the work - Rodens cockpit was fairly good, but I didn't like what I was looking at:

DSC05854.jpg

So, I shaved down the details, and started playin with some plastic:

DSC05858.jpg

Edited by Kostucha

As for the seat - it was fairly blan. So, using the seat I made an impression on a thin piece of balsa wood (this section will double as both the "seat bottom" as well as the mount for all the brass formers:

DSC05876.jpg

Next 3/4 inch pieces the thinnest brass rod I had were cut, with 1/4 inch being pushed into the balsa:

DSC05877.jpg

Using the thin copper wire from a toys burnt out electric motor:

DSC05875.jpg

I started to make the seat by weaving it between brass formers:

DSC05878.jpg

DSC05880.jpg

DSC05882.jpg

DSC05883.jpg

Is it an exact scale replica? Heck no. But I figure this is closer to the real woven seat than the kit seat:

DSC05885.jpg

I then started to work on the rest of the cockpit, building up some of the wooden pieces, the two tanks behind the seat, rudder pedals, an a tiny little throttle quadrand (all except for the wooden pieces were kit parts):

DSC05889.jpg

DSC05892.jpg

DSC05893.jpg

Well folks, that's it for me for tonight. Thanks again for letting me participate in your Group Build!

Cheers!

Mark.

I then started to work on the rest of the cockpit, building up some of the wooden pieces, the two tanks behind the seat, rudder pedals, an a tiny little throttle quadrand (all except for the wooden pieces were kit parts):

DSC05889.jpg

DSC05892.jpg

DSC05893.jpg

Well folks, that's it for me for tonight. Thanks again for letting me participate in your Group Build!

Cheers!

Mark.

Wow Mark, I can only imagine how small that is to work with. Amazing work on that wicker seat.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Thank you guys! This one I think is going to be quick and fun. Especially as I'll be brush painting the large majority of it, including those stripes on the fuselage. What I'm not looking forward to completely is making all the rigging...

Cheers,

Mark.

Thank you very much!

So far it's a little here and a little there. This one will be completed soon I hope. I had to get away from the unfortunate distraction of building in order to write an exam and take care of a few very pressing matters at work, but now that I'm back to building, before working on the Fort tonight, I'll be finishing up a few things with the lower end of the fuselage, etc. I'll hopefully be able to show off some pictures tonight.

Till then!

Mark.

Well, now that my friggin laptop is cooperating, here's an update.

Work went on with the instrument panel and upper fuselage pieces. Heres the parts stock:

DSC05903.jpg

What I did with them:

DSC05906.jpg

And some shots of the fuselage completed. Thankfully some of the detail from the interior will still be seen:

DSC05909.jpg

DSC05915.jpg

DSC05913.jpg

DSC05911.jpg

DSC05910.jpg

DSC05907.jpg

Hoping that soon I'll have the lower portion of the exterior of the fuselage painted, and then work on assembling everything can continue.

Cheers!

Mark.

Hahaha, thanks Alf!

I decided I'd finish this one off before carrying on with work on LMM. I'd rather have the work bench dedicated to one thing only at a time right now.

I'm thinking tonight I'll paint up the main parts - top wing, bottom wing/fuselage, and horizontal stab. Maybe even the wood on the struts.

Plan is to paint the fuselage, then the black, then the silver, but at some point paint the white stripes too, and add depth to the paint job by painting it light (so rather than Sand and the Brownish Green, it'll be Olive Drab for the green and Aircraft Grey (with a slight bit of sand added), then using chalk pastels, add the proper darker colour, as well as the effect of ribbing/material). My only conundrum is whether or not there were black stripes between the white lines (as almost EVER model and profile shows) or if it was like his Snipe where there was just the fuselage green between the stripes. I in fact may decide to go with the black. We'll see. I've found a few other pictures, and as nerdy as it sounds, there is a much more noticeable difference between the b&w pictures gray pixels between the stripes than there is on known black colours up further on the fuselage. They match fairly close with the actual brown/green right forward of it...

I've learned to stear clear of any profile shots - as they've either got this aircraft depicted wrong (wood on the side, and not black as the actual image shows), they show the wrong type of cut out on the upper wing (something else I need to do), and I'll focus more on that later, or the wrong shape of the devil on the front MG.

Somedays I grow sick and tired of researching things... one day I'll just grab a camera, find a friggin plane, snap pictures going all the way around and inside, run home and build that very one. Stinkin research...

Anywho, combine that riddle, with how I'm going to get the rigging done right, and we've got a fun filled night.

More to some soon!

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

With the wing, the later model of Barkers Camel had the top portion cut out for visibility. Though some shots show a rounded frame of the trailing edge, the reference picture I'm using shows it without, so that's what I decided to go with:

DSC05918.jpg

DSC05919.jpg

And a shot of everything painted with the main colours:

DSC05920.jpg

And the lower piece after some pastel work, with the untouched top wing there for contrast:

DSC05922.jpg

That's it for tonight - long day tomorrow ahead of me.

Cheers!

Mark.

Thank you very much.

I've grown a new love for these tiny 1/72 biplanes. Maybe I'll go on a rant of them at some point - I've got the Eduard 1/72 Nieuport Ni 17 (2 kits in one) that I want to do Bishops mount with. Only problem is the decals - though I'm sure it wont be too hard to have the tail codes done up. I plan on doing it as per what the B&W picture of him standing with it shows... or rather, what isn't shown - No "C 5" or maple leaf shown. So, should be fairly easy to do. I'll try it out after this one - looking through it, and comparing the two kits (this Roden Sopwith Camel vs. the Eduard Nieuport), the Eduard kit is leaps and bounds ahead, in ever single aspect expect for engine detail - Rodens got that one beat upright.

After that, maybe the 1/72 Tiger Moth, which I would do with the enlarged plexiglass covering closed as the cockpit there is bare bones. As much as I enjoy the work I can do and fun I can have with the cockpits, I'm not even going to attempt a full scratch built tigermoth cockpit... it's a friggin ugly plane anyway. Somewhat typically Canadian... (speaking with respects to the level of "ugly" to begin with when it comes to the dainty little moth, but then add the oversized pumpkin head with that clear canopy, and ya, it takes on a whole new level).

There were some amazingly gorgeous aircraft during the years between the wars, so who knows, maybe that... maybe the 1/48 Swordfish... or maybe... just maybe... I'll make a jet for the first time in a... well... ever, I think.

Oh, the possibilities... but before I digress too much, the reason for the delay is my son is just not doing 100%. Between work during the day, and then dealing with the sick little poop factory, well, models have been yet again put on hold. Soon though... soon.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

Outstanding work so far. I have to echo ALF's comment. If this is fun and quick... You've certainly added a good amount of detail. That 'wicker' seat is the bee's knees.

Keep it up. I look forward to your updates.

I hope the little man is feeling better. No fun being sick, no matter what your age.

Mike

Thanks!

The little man is doing well today, MUCH better.

I meant to post up last night that I'm at a stand still - I want to paint the white stripes, with my airbrush... with... my... airbrush... I swear I put that thing here somewhere... (my pump is AWOL right now... so, nuts!).

After an exhausting search yesterday afternoon, I gave up. Until I find it, I wont be putting any white stripes on, unless I find an extra bit of white decal paper, and then I'll just cut the stripes appropriately. I'm worried I may have misplaced it in the move... but that doesn't make any sense. I'm sure it's still in one of the 3 or 4 boxes left to unpack.

Anywho, I did have some fun though - managed to actually jump the gun a bit and get some work on Bishops Nieuport done up!

I'm posting as we speak!

Cheers!

Mark.

Mark: You make a few nasty comments about the Tiger Moth and its pumpkin head canopy...but unless you have flown one in the winter here in the Great White North, you really should keep your thoughts to yourself. I've owned and flown a Tiger Moth and without that canopy, there would not have been the vast numbers of pilots trained during WW2 because all of them would have been frozen before Lesson Plan 1 was completed.

Many types of aircraft had to be modified for use during the winter months just to get the job done...and some times the Canadianization of a Brit aircraft turned out looking like my ex-wife but it was functional when needed.

Barney

TigerByTheTail-1.jpg