Nice work

I cant believing that a 140$+ kit requires so much fixing.... kinda expected something better made

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Neo

This is just assembly stuff. I'm not really getting into shape issues, crispness of detail.... Lots of this could be me, i really dislike using filler and i will fuss with joints until i get the best fit i can. All kits need some work on seams, it seems that Trumpeter kits need much more than Tamiya/Hasegawa/Academy/etc. I do find though that after cleaning everything up, the fit is very good. You are right, for the price......... but that's for another post in a different forum. :rofl:

Don

[wow continue to monitor your processes .. Greetings

Welcome to ARC, julio cesar!! Long time between updates!! I battled away at the cockpit, painting it as best i could. 'Pits always cause me headaches, this one was no different. The seats i had in the resin stash. I don't remember when i got these or why. They are SJU/17 seats but didn't have belts or the canopy breakers. I cut the breakers off thekit seats, thinned them and glued them on the seats. The belts.....i tried using the PE sets with the kit, but after a few FRUSTRATING hours, i gave up. I ended up using Jammy Dog masking tape for the headrest belts, cutting off the buckles from the kit belts and installing these on the tape. The lap belts were from the kit, they didn't fight me too badly :salute::wave: .

IMG_0492.jpg

While thinking of a solution to the belts, i cleaned up one of the vertical fin halves. Can't figure out what Trumpeter was doing here( seem to say that a lot, lately) where the formation lights go they have a raised area on all four halves. All references show nothing of the sort, so they had to go. Right fin shows stock part, middle shows tape applied and blade used and masking tape applied to protect detail, left shows end result after scraping of the raised area and finish sanding. Get to do this 3x more times :bandhead2:

IMG_0499a.jpg

Will do the forward lower fuselage next. This should go smoothly :pray: .

Don

Excellent progress Don. I haven't checked back recently - but looking now it looks like you've been doing good with this kit! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tutorial on eliminating gaps that will definitely come in handy down the road. :)

Looking forward to more progress~

-Awan

loooong time between updates!! I installed the torward lower fuselage halves. This was a straight forward install needing a slight cleaning of mating surfaces at the end of the parts where they join to the rear lower part, and some scraping and sanding between the upper fuselage to lower parts on the top of the nose, right behind the Pizza box. I have to say, the fit of the refueling doors really sukked. I didn't get this area cleaned up and fitted that great. I would like to add fill and rescribe but my experience scribing fills have resulted in poor results. I have to decide if i'll chance filling and scribing or leave it the way it is. Assembled the vertical fins, straight forward work, and installed them. Will need a bit of fill on the inner surface front as there is a bit of a gap, see pic.

IMG_0510.jpg

Overall view where it stands now. Horizontals are dryfitted in place. This is a big aircraft, slightly smaller than the F-14 it replaced.

IMG_0509.jpg

I'm going to start on the front and rear flaps next. Doing some dryfitting i can see the front flaps are going to be a small fight. They have the same fault as the Academy Bug, if installed as stock, there will be a gap between the flat and upper wing surface. The flap should fit tight to the wing both top and bottom. The fix is the same, but i am thinking of installing the front flaps up and the rear down. There are a few pics showing this configuration, most all show the flaps down, though. Guess i'm getting lazy in my old age. Think i'll post in the jet forum for ideas and configurations. Awan, when are you going to start your Super Hornet?

Don

Looks awesome, if you can wait Darren Roberts is coming out with a ACS and cockpit update set that I made for the Trump kit. Erick

Been waiting for the updated parts. What i am going to do is complete the build, tacking the rear cockpit parts in place with either a small amount of glue or blu-tac. That way when i get the parts, i can just swap them in. They look good from what i've seen in your thread in the jet forum. Not much of a update today, the weather was so nice i spent most of it away from home. Fighting the refueling door, and it's an ugly battle. After that will be small assemblies, flaps, then maybe some paint!!

Don

Hay great work on the plane. I am just preparing my vfa-103 trump superhornet for priming tomorrow. This is my secound superhornet in 1/32, i scratch built the cockpits and modified the dash bourds then made molds for them. if have 3 more F"S, 2 E"S just been waiting for aries of blackbox or someone to bring out some resin, the aircraft has a lot of little fit probs and gaps at the rear underneather and the air intakes to spray and not have feathering inside is painful. but One you have sanded rescribes and riveted and filled in manufactures mistakes, this aircraft is amazing. I have a true appresiation for anyone who builds this one. It has its challanges but worth whiled. I just love the hi vis so that is why i have done 2. 1 for a catapult dio and the other for a armerment and towing dio. Will post both over the next month or 2. PS ANYONE WHO WANTS TO TACKLE THE AIRINTAKES AND PAINT THEM. Cut the lenth of the intakes in half, and built the side wall and intakes (painted too) before attaching to aircraft. Get a fantastic result. SANDING AND CRAPPING WILL BE REQUIRED.

Anyway great work with the assembly, PS: FUEL RAIL UNDER THE BELLY WILL NEED A LOT OF SANDING AND SCRAPING, dry fitting, then when you are sit of doing that you will minims the gap and then fill and sribe. that is a real painful part to do.

CAN WAIT TO SEE MORE.

from a empethetic builder (EMTOM) OH IT IT IS NOT TOO LATE, PUT A LLLLLLLLOT OF WEIGHT IN THE NOSE, SHE WILL BE VERY BUMB HEAVY IF YOU DONT ( DEPENDING ON THE WEPONS YOU USE)

Hay great work on the plane. I am just preparing my vfa-103 trump superhornet for priming tomorrow. This is my secound superhornet in 1/32, i scratch built the cockpits and modified the dash bourds then made molds for them. if have 3 more F"S, 2 E"S just been waiting for aries of blackbox or someone to bring out some resin, the aircraft has a lot of little fit probs and gaps at the rear underneather and the air intakes to spray and not have feathering inside is painful. but One you have sanded rescribes and riveted and filled in manufactures mistakes, this aircraft is amazing. I have a true appresiation for anyone who builds this one. It has its challanges but worth whiled. I just love the hi vis so that is why i have done 2. 1 for a catapult dio and the other for a armerment and towing dio. Will post both over the next month or 2. PS ANYONE WHO WANTS TO TACKLE THE AIRINTAKES AND PAINT THEM. Cut the lenth of the intakes in half, and built the side wall and intakes (painted too) before attaching to aircraft. Get a fantastic result. SANDING AND CRAPPING WILL BE REQUIRED.

Anyway great work with the assembly, PS: FUEL RAIL UNDER THE BELLY WILL NEED A LOT OF SANDING AND SCRAPING, dry fitting, then when you are sit of doing that you will minims the gap and then fill and sribe. that is a real painful part to do.

CAN WAIT TO SEE MORE.

from a empethetic builder (EMTOM) OH IT IT IS NOT TOO LATE, PUT A LLLLLLLLOT OF WEIGHT IN THE NOSE, SHE WILL BE VERY BUMB HEAVY IF YOU DONT ( DEPENDING ON THE WEPONS YOU USE)

You know, this kit takes a LOT of work to get the fit right. If that was the only fault i would be ok with it. The lack of detail, simplified parts... i don't think i'll be doing another one of these. For the price and what you get...no. I don't hate Trumpeter, i've built 5 of their kits and been OK with them. Wish they would be more consistent with stuff. The intake tubes are an example. They have sink marks inside, none on the outside. The seam on the outside is tight and even, on the inside they are uneven with lots of gaps. Anyway, i'm still plugging away at it, most of the stuff is straightforward assembly work. hopefully it should be ready for paint this weekend.

Don

Well, been slugging away at this thing. Most all of what i did is just straightforward assembly the wing flaps were straight assemble and hang. Undercarriage is assembled as are the drop tanks and pylons. When i was dry fitting the pylons, i found an issue with the outer pylons. When mounted as intended, one pylon is 1.5/2 mm further inboard than the opposite side.

This pic shows one pylon at a distance of18.5 mm from wing parting line.

IMG_0518.jpg

This pic shows opposite in 16.5mm from parting line

IMG_0520.jpg

The reason they are like this is Trumpeters fault. When they made the molds, they put the pylons on a sprue that was duplicated in the kit to give left and right side similar parts, pylons and drop tanks. The way the pylons are mounted is with a slot in the wing bottom and a tang on the pylon, offset to one side. Doing it this way ensures one of the pylons will be incorrect in its position.

IMG_0521.jpg

Don't know why they did it this way, the other pylons use two pins, just like almost every other kit in the world does. I'll figure out something to do, but i shouldn't have to. Maybe it was beginners day at the Trumpeter factory when they did these pylons :thumbsup::bandhead2:

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since the last update. I've got a base coat of FS36320 on everything and flat black for some preshading. I prime anything i preshade now with the color coat, that way there is no chance of lack of coverage. Anyway, will be doing the color coats now along with some weathering colors. One pic for the night.

IMG_0531.jpg

Hi This is emtom. I have been making my blast sheld (1/32) I was to spray my vfa -103 last week. Now that it is easter i can do some spraying preshading also. I was reading some of the messages of the trump assembly. AND YES IT SUCKS and the lack of detail is obvisous. However. IT IS A 1/32 SUPERHORNET. A little time, love and a hell of sanding pudding. Then you will look back after the first one. and then it is all worth the pain. When you have 7 of these. You need to learn to love the problems. I spend yesterday putting together the 1/48 hasagawa vfa-103. I have assembled 90% of the parts assembled and attached as much as possible. I was amazed how well and easy it was to assemble and how quickly it is going. I did this to see what the qualitie and assemble is compared to my trump superhornet. I wish hasa made it in 32 the same way. Trump needs to spend more time on qualitie and assembly rather than punching out kits. (like tamiya) I feel all your frustration but we should be really happy. It is a big bird with a fantastic look to it. This and the 102 50% annervs are just a show stopper in this size. 5 years ago we allllll would of taken all the problems of this kit just to have on. 1/48 looks great but nothing beats the look of this aircraft in 1/32.

Cant wait to see more picts.

EMTOM

Hmmm. Stll don't think i'll do another one even though Afterburner decals is coming out with some really nice sheets. It would be great if Hasegawa, Tamiya or Academy had done some of the Trumpeter offerings. It will look impressive when done, would still like to see a better basic kit. A what-if in Canadian markings would look OK. Went to paint it tonight. Found 9(!!!!) bottles of FS36320, but no FS36375. Used the last of it on the base coat and ASSumed i had more in stock. Will go to the hobby shop tomorrow for resupply, should be able to post some pics then. I was going to do this as a color bird, but now i'm not sure.Better figure it out soon.

Okay, got all the color coats down today. Did all of them today, gun muzzle, exhaust areas, wheelwells, trailing edges, etc. Had something happen thats never happened before. I used Model Master Acryl to do the color coats, masked areas, then sprayed. Problem is the tape peeled off some paint, not a lot and i will be able to use a brush to touch-up. Read a lot on this happening but the first time this has happened to me. Some more weathering will be next, then clear coat and decals. Couple of pics for the nite.

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Will be doing a grey tail scheme, still need to pick a specific bird.

Don

Okay, managed to get the decals down. Using the Fightertown sheets 32016 ACFT 202 BUNO 166622 May 2007. Decals fitted and settled down fine using the Microscale system.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Don

I love the color of your tail !!

Can you tell me what it is ??

Cheers

Neo

Sorry for not keeping up to date on my build. The tails are FS 36081. I have managed to gloss coat and do a panel line wash, will do a flat coat tonight or tomorrow. Problem that has arisin is the build won't fit in my display case :angry: I would have to build it with folded tips, but that is an impossibility now. Don't have anywhere else to display it either. Man, this build is putting up so much resistance...a hornet wall dart is a little tempting right now.

Don

Just doing some small stuff tonight to the Bug, dry-fitted the gear and put it down on all three.... problem is one of the three is the TAIL!!! This thing is a TAIL SITTER!!! Nowhere in the instructions was there anything about adding weight, i did get a heads up earlier from Tomcatemtom, forgot about it. Cripes!! I've just about had it!! Anyway, some pics. Bug doing a wheelie is first.

IMG_0538.jpg

Next are just overall general pics.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

I might walk away from this for a while before it crashes and burns.

Don

Looks good

for the tail sitting there are a couple of option

lead sheet in the bottom of the pit

but tack under the nose gear (one of mine is like that the nose weight was not enough)

Or a take off dio (just have to stretch the so suspension)

Dont give up she looks soo great

Cheers

Neo

Okay!! I have to take back what i said about this kit being a tailsitter. After hanging all the small stuff it behaved itself and settled down on the nose gear. Sorry for overreacting, guys. Anyways, i've almost finished the build, all i have to do is add the canopy, exhaust cans, and pitot tubes. I could finish it tonight, but the hockey game is on. I'll try to "git 'er done" tomorrow. Just a few pics for the night.

IMG_0545a.jpg

IMG_0544a.jpg

IMG_0543a.jpg

IMG_0542a.jpg

Don

The GBU-38s came from Wolfpack. The have two types, one for USAF, the other for US Navy. The Navy ones have the ablative coating, both have 3 different fuses.

Don

Managed to finish the build yesterday. I have to say, this was a frustrating build, some of it the kits fault and some was self inflicted. I am happy it's done and i'm OK with the results. Not really tempted to do another unless a unique set of markings come along. This is the first build i've done in Jolly Rogers markings, might do a F-4J in full color markings in the distant future. Some pics below.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg