My F-14A project:

F-14_Monogram_Tomcat.jpg

Detailing the cockpit consoles and bulkheads. Still adding more detail to the circuit breaker panels for the rear cockpit. Seats will be resin.

F-14_Monogram_Tomcat_cockpit.jpg

F-14_Monogram_Tomcat_cockpit2.jpg

I rescribed the entire kit, using a new steel sewing needle cut to size to fit a pin vise and a number 11 X-Acto blade. I also tried out the UMM-USA scribing tool which looks weird but really is a nice tool! Much better than previous scribers I've used, such as the ones that belong in a dentist's office...

F-14_scribing_closeup.jpg

I think this kit needs a nose job! Or better yet, rob an old kit for parts. :)

F-14_Monogram_nosecone.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons
OK i have a stock pile of these kits can wait to see how yous turns out

I know what you mean, I went looking in the stash. Even though have not built for a few years had kept collecting kits. Got an all Monogram Tomcat line-up in 1/48 of 4 -As, 1 -B, and 3 -Ds. Somebody stop me. :monkeydance:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Got some work done on my Tomcat the past few days and took these new pics for my update:

The later reissues of the kit omitted the stiffener plates so I added those back in with styrene sheet. I used the original Monogram F-14A kit to make templates!

airframe_stiffenersjpg.jpg

rescribing_engines.jpg

Reworked the intake parts.

intakes_reprofiled.jpg

F-14_Monogram_Tomcat_underside.jpg

F-14_intake_close_up.jpg

I'm not a fan of intake covers. I'm taking the road less traveled, besides that landing gear brace bump on the inside of the intakes looks out of place so I simply hid it with sheet styrene.

intakes_fix1.jpg

intakes_fix_lowerfuselage.jpg

Discarded the initial scratchbuilt circuit breaker panels that I did in my first update and replaced them with slightly more accurate and improved ones. I made the panels with laminated Evergreen styrene sheet and hard-to-find Plastruct 0.8mm styrene angle (part #90500) which my LHS didn't stock so I was forced to purchase it direct from Plastruct. (Note: Beware of their minimum order policy as well as the shipping. I suggest you stock up on scratch building material if you do place an order with them!) A better option to make the panels (my first choice) would have been to use a Plastruct architectural plastic staircase but the plastic was thick and difficult to cut. I think it was made of high impact plastic so I chose the alternative...

RIO_circuitbreakers.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Holy cow man! Those circuit breakers are amazing. Were you born with that talent or do you have a ton of free time?

I use basic modeling skills and I'm currently on vacation, LOL. BTW, I think I put the 30 amp and 15 amp fuses in the right places (according to a former A-6 buddy of mine). It's not totally accurate but looks the part. That one left panel took all day to do. The fuses are made with stretched sprue cut in equal lengths, possibly cut over 60 of them and probably lost 1/3 when they flew off the tweezers... :rolleyes: Oh and I am not going to re-do the panel again and will leave it as it stands now. :wacko:

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Thanks for a great thread with a very useful SBS on improving/correcting the old R/M Tomcat.

I built this kit from the original Monogram offering (with the hideous early VF-142 markings on the boxart :whistle:) but that was nearly 20 years ago.

This thread makes me want to have another go at this classic.

• 1 month later...

A small update, slow progress. I decided to use a previously used F-14A kit cockpit (I got lazy but hey, the details are accurate), stripped off the paint and added on the completed circuit breaker panels to it. I also added a scratch built map case for the pilot and a spare resin Black Box F-15E throttle quadrant. Just need to add a few more details such as air ducting and wires. To save even more time, I'll use spare Black Box F-14A resin pilot and RIO instrument coamings instead of scratch building those details...

Tomcat11.jpg

As for the lower fuselage, I managed to get the moveable intake ramps cleaned up and added some detail before I re-attach them to the intakes. I used styrene sheet to make short tubes at the aft end of the trunking to allow the fan blades to be glued in once the painting is done (and all the putty is sanded and seams are filled).

Tomcat10.jpg

Added the fuel dump intake scoop with sheet styrene, half round rod, and blended together with cyanoacrylate.

MonogramF-14A_FV.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons
  • 1 month later...

Still plugging away at this build. :lol:

I made the decision to have four AIM-9s mounted on the shoulder weapons pylons instead of the two AIM-9 and two AIM-7 weapons fit most Tomcat builds have displayed. Guided by reference photos, I was able to cut away the Sparrow pylons to allow extra AIM-9 carriage. I still need to do a little re-shaping and sanding on the bottom of the pylon. I also need to scratch build the AIM-9 adapter that allows mounting of the Sidewinder rail to the pylon itself. ;)

Here's the port side pylon work-in-progress (below the crappy Tomcat pylon I built as a teen).

MonogramF-14A_portPylon.jpg

Test mounted on my Monogram F-14A VF-102 build completed in 1988. :whistle:

MonogramF-14A_portPylon2.jpg

Edited by PlasticWeapons
  • 1 year later...