1/48 Hasegawa F-16C 176th FS Wisconsin ANG Viper

Hello All!

I thought I'd share with you my latest project. This is Hasegawa's 1/48 F-16C Arctic Aggressor done up as a Viper from the 176th FS, Wisconsin ANG based out of Madison, WI. I work in the Madison area frequently and get to see these flying around all the time. I thought it would be a good project to make one. So after figuring out which model and block they fly (F-16C Block 30's with the exception of their D model two seater) thanks for F-16.net, I was able to find a good starting point with the Arctic Aggressor offering. I also purchased TwoBob's Dairyland Vipers decal set. The decals look great and went down very easy, with just a bit of cracking on the tail fin flash that needed to be touched up slightly, but I think they look awesome.

Shortly after seeing the bases that 3WireDesign offered, I knew I HAD to have one. About 90% of the way through construction, I contacted Justin at 3WireDesign and sent him the file for the 176th patch that I wanted on the base. As you can see from the photos, it turned out really well and Justin is a pleasure to deal with. If you get the chance, I recommend getting one of his bases.

Before the base arrived, I decided to add a few extra items to the model and base to make it stand out a little more. I decided to add some delineator posts, some taxiway lights, and an airport runway/taxiway sign. All of these items were scratchbuilt. The delineator post bases are small nuts bought at the hardware store and painted black. The posts themselves are Evergreen 3/32" sprue tubes cut to length. A small strip of masking tape around the tube, spray orange, remove the masking tape and you have an orange cone with a reflective white stripe. Glue that into the black base, and you have a convincing delineator post. The runway sign is made from sheet styrene with small signs printed on a laser jet color printer. I know they're probably not 100% accurate, but they look the part to me. The taxiway lights are flourescent blue styrene rod from Plastruct on top of a stretched sprue stem and sheet styrene cut out from a leather punch. The grass is from Woodland Scenics and comes as a pre-made sheet that you can cut to shape. Couldn't be easier to work with.

So...without further delay.....enjoy.

Top view with 3WireDesgin custom base:

F-16C176thFSTopII.jpg

Bottom view

F-16C176thFSBottom.jpg

Tail

F-16C176thFSTail.jpg

Left front view

F-16C176thFSLeftFront.jpg

Left side missiles

F-16C176thFSLeftSideMissiles.jpg

Left rear view

F-16C176thFSLeftRear.jpg

Right rear view

F-16C176thFSRightRear.jpg

Right side view

F-16C176thFSRightSide.jpg

View of extras

F-16C176thFSRightSideTaxiwayLightsandSignII.jpg

More extras

F-16C176thFSRestrictedAreaSign.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed seeing this as much as I enjoyed building it. I think it turned out pretty well. I welcome any comments you might have.

(P.S. The tail isn't glued on yet so that I can remove it and store it in a cabinet until I get some better display space set up, so please ignore the large gap between the tail and fuselage.)

Happy Modelling!

:coolio:

Justin

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

Azza, to answer your question, I do preshading with flat black, spray the base colors, then do post shading with a little bit lighter color in the center of the panels. Future coat, decal, Future coat, and then hit it with ProModeller wash. Then I'll use graphite powder from a pencil lead applied with an old paintbrush to highlight certain areas for stains, etc. After that's all done, hit it with a flat clear coat.

Thanks, again to everyone for their praise.

Justin

Thanks, everybody.

Ken, thanks for pointing that out regarding the AMRAAM, I'll add another stripe to it. When you do build up the blue tailed jet, be sure to share, I'd like to see it.

Justin