According to F-4 Phantom II Production and Operational Data, ISBN 1 85780 190 3, by William R. Peake, F-4J-27-MC 153088, was retired on 27 August 1985 and used as a ground instructional airframe at Naval Air Technical Training Center Millington, NAS Memphis, TN. First flight was 16 November 1966.

That is one of my all time favorite schemes. What model is that a J I can't remember?
I think it was a J.

Aaron

It had an F-4B/N nose cone on it ... I'm not sure if that was a normal outfit for that particular Phantom or if it was put on just for that paint scheme so the mouth of the Eagle would look better ...

Gregg

You mean this one?

Phantom002b.jpg

phantom002a.jpg

I just started sorting my slide collection and these were among the first I scanned. I couldn't find any notes about when or where the photos were taken, unfortunately.

About a month ago I found the ESCI kit with these markings. Needless to say, it's now in the garage o' kits!

Edited by braincells37

As far as we were told, it was a "J" airframe, with a "B" nose, and "S" slatted outer wing sections. Roodecals did beautiful sets of decals in 1/48 & 1/32 (not sure about 1/72.)

Edgar

My guess would be sometime in 1977, the jet got a standard VX-4 repaint ...

I saw her at Selfridge in August of '77 and she was still in all her bicentennial glory. I *so* wish I'd had more than two 24 exposure rolls of Kodacolor II print film and my dad's Argus C3 at that show! How I yearn for a time machine where I could take my digital SLR with an 8 gb SD card to some of those old airshows. I'd run out of film before I got around to Vandy 76 (and the Michigan Six Pack F-106s and T-33s...).

Sigh...

J

According to F-4 Phantom II Production and Operational Data, ISBN 1 85780 190 3, by William R. Peake, F-4J-27-MC 153088, was retired on 27 August 1985 and used as a ground instructional airframe at Naval Air Technical Training Center Millington, NAS Memphis, TN. First flight was 16 November 1966.

Thats TOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! 8/27 is my birthday!

Now the question is, WHY hasn't someone done decent (note I said "decent") decals and some resin/PE to allow this unique birdie to be done properly in 1/48?? I'd be all over a set like that like stink on poo-poo.

Now the question is, WHY hasn't someone done decent (note I said "decent") decals and some resin/PE to allow this unique birdie to be done properly in 1/48?? I'd be all over a set like that like stink on poo-poo.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH RRAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

• 10 months later...

VANDY 76 was an F-4J, but also an F-4S prototype. It had the GE-J79-10 (Smokeless) engines, fuselage/tail strip formation lights and the LE slats were fixed (Non-movable) and made of wood. Also some avionics enhancements. I believe it was in 1978/79 she came back to VX-4 as a full conversion F-4S and was dubbed VANDY 7. I reported to VX-4 in June 1976, and spent a lot of time on this bird along with the famous VANDY 1 "Black Bird".

I'll do some digging to confirm, but I believe 153088 made it's way to a drone conversion (QF-4S) and returned as a Full Scale Ariel Target (FSAT) at Point Mugu Ca. where I also worked after the Navy.

Cool forum!!!

Dave

what happened to the bicentennial chicken ?

my father was maintenance chief in vx-4 at pt. mugu during the mid seventies so I got to see this bird and vandy 1 all the time when I was a kid.

Who was (is) your father? I might remember him?

I was there June 1976 - Aug 1979.

Dave

As far as we were told, it was a "J" airframe, with a "B" nose, and "S" slatted outer wing sections. Roodecals did beautiful sets of decals in 1/48 & 1/32 (not sure about 1/72.)

Edgar

I don't think the slats had any actuators or actuator fairings. Somewhere a long time ago I saw closeups of the slats, and they looked quite a bit different from the production versions but I surely don't recall enough to be able to describe the differences, sorry...

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Actually it had prototype leading edge slats that were fixed in place in the extended position. I don't think the slats had any actuators or actuator fairings. Somewhere a long time ago I saw closeups of the slats, and they looked quite a bit different from the production versions but I surely don't recall enough to be able to describe the differences, sorry...

Scott, you're correct, they were fixed in the extended position and they were made of wood & epoxy coated. Resulted in lower T/O & landing speeds and tighter turn radius.