3 x F-16 (A Group Build in my Garage/Car Hole)

Apologies to Qian, I'm not trying to up the ante, just want to clear out the stash.

This is what I'm building:

Start1.jpg

Attempting to build three F-16 kits simultaneously OOB: 1 x Hasegawa and 2 X Academy. Only AM will be decals.

All three will be built undercarriage up, so they'll be in-flight.

Got a lot done today but I'm sure the enthusiasm will wear off when I get to the intakes :banana:

Start2.jpg

Now a question. What should I build these as? I was thinking 3 Arctic Bandits or a pack of aggressors.

I'm not really up on F-16s so I'm open to suggestions as to how to build these. Cheers!

AWWWW, it's too bad your not building the Academy kit with the ANG Flying Razorbacks. GOOOOO PIG SUIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! Arctic Bandits sounds pretty cool though! Can't wait to see more!

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving this build. A little bit of progress but these are great kits.

I'm not a train spotter on kits and who re-packages who, but the kits seem very similar with a few variations. But overall what I have done so far is very easy.

Here are the three builds as they are:

Progress1_1.jpg

Hasegawa

Progress1_2hasegawa.jpg

Academy

Progress1_4Academy2.jpg

Progress1_3Academy1.jpg

And here are the boys:

Progress1_5TheBoys.jpg

Progress1_7TheBoys3.jpg

I'm still tossing up the scheme I'll do. I was considering the Bentwater Aggressors http://www.smartcart.com/AfterburnerDecals...item_num=48-060 but the fact they were disbanded after 18 months http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/2004...ors/aggress.htm there's very little history to associate with, mind you a What If with Bentwater Aggressors in a Flanker scheme could be a goer .... hmmmm.... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The build continues with nothing too much exciting happening apart from some filling and sanding as the kits come together. Mind you not too much filling and sanding for the Hasegawa kit. Academy however, ........ <_<

For the intakes I used the latex paint pour method which has resulted in some good results. Well at least better than my first F-16 attempt of 10 years ago which was excruciatingly painful.

Intake.jpg

I don't know whether it was the right paint but it was a Taubmans water based enamel for skirts and trim in the house. I had some left over after some renos in the house. Beautiful finish if I do say so myself. Colour is Tahira White. Still needs to have a soapy bath to clean all the dust out.

I have decided to do these as Arctic bandits and just waiting on the Two-Bob decals from Hannants.

How to display these in-flight ... still figuring that out.

• 3 months later...

I have been making slow progress on this in between work and landscaping the backyard. Oh and my air compressor decided to die which meant no painting until I got a new one. Tailplane and horizontal stabs are painted as well as the jugs. Ready for decals. Apologies for photo quality (from the iphone :bandhead2: ).

214.jpg

213.jpg

211.jpg

210.jpg

Cockpits and pilots done.

208.jpg

207.jpg

206.jpg

The fuselages are together, sanded and some practice pre-shading. Hopefully start masking and painting this week.

218.jpg

215.jpg

217.jpg

Hopefully update soon. :pray:

Pretty IMPRESSIVE work so far Unang..

Where as some us take years to build ONE model you seems to be able to build 3 in ONE GO.. :woot.gif::woot.gif:

WAY TO GO... Keep updating as this is simply quite a feat on your part...AMAZING....

HOLMES :worship:

• 1 month later...

Been a while since an update so why not. :woot.gif:

First update is the finished tails with decals. Decals are TwoBobs Arctic Bandits. An absolute pleasure to apply. :thumbsup:

DSC_0206.jpg

Then comes a complete white F-16 :unsure:

DSC_0214.jpg

Masked and grey applied. :blink:

DSC_6.jpg

DSC_01.jpg

And finally another mask and the black. :wacko:

DSC_4.jpg

DSC_3.jpg

DSC_2.jpg

Just need to paint the nose cone and pull it all together. Hopefully update in the near future. :wave:

Very nice! Keep 'em coming.

A small pointer, if I may - the fins on the wing tanks are molded as featured initially on The Real Thing, but since them these have been clipped from their original triangular shape - pic here:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-16c_86-0222-2/images/f-16c_86-0222-2_19_of_34.jpg

HTH,

Andre

Apologies to Qian, I'm not trying to up the ante, just want to clear out the stash.

This is what I'm building:

Start1.jpg

Attempting to build three F-16 kits simultaneously OOB: 1 x Hasegawa and 2 X Academy. Only AM will be decals.

All three will be built undercarriage up, so they'll be in-flight.

Got a lot done today but I'm sure the enthusiasm will wear off when I get to the intakes :banana:

Start2.jpg

Now a question. What should I build these as? I was thinking 3 Arctic Bandits or a pack of aggressors.

I'm not really up on F-16s so I'm open to suggestions as to how to build these. Cheers!

Yup, with you there!

I've just spent a month looking at a pic of two of the same aircraft you're modelling courtesy of the calendar above my desk at work. It's one of the cooler F-16 schemes.

Very nice! Keep 'em coming.

A small pointer, if I may - the fins on the wing tanks are molded as featured initially on The Real Thing, but since them these have been clipped from their original triangular shape - pic here:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-16c_86-0222-2/images/f-16c_86-0222-2_19_of_34.jpg

HTH,

Andre

Thanks for the tip on the tanks. Not much of a change. I'll have a go.

Try to include PavePenny - a laser energy receiver for targeting. I spent a lot of time on the design.

JustEd

JustEd

Had a quick look as to what a Pave Penny is. Do F-16 Aggressors have these fitted? Seems to be an Air to Ground capability rather than something used for air to air.

BTW, does anybody make Pave Penny in 1/48?

Rgds,

Sean

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while. Took me some time to get the cam to a stage that I thought was at least acceptable. :rolleyes:

A couple of coats of future and ready for decals. Actually quite happy with where they are at. :)

cam2.jpg

cam7.jpg

cam8.jpg

cam9.jpg

cam12.jpg

cam13.jpg

Until next time :wave:

• 1 month later...

OK, it has been a while. Jets are all decaled and sealed. Canopies polished :rolleyes: Just a few more detailes to take care of and we should be able to move this to the Display Cabinet.

F16_3.jpg

F16_2.jpg

F16_1.jpg

This is only a temporary stand just to get ideas for how to display the three of them with everything hanging off them.

Next up is attaching the load out.

Loadout.jpg

Jugs.jpg

BTW, the TwoBob decals are outstanding! :thumbsup:

As they were looking a bit naked I've started to load them up. Fuel tanks, CATM and AMT pods. Starboard side is still to loaded out with an ACMI pod, an inert AIM-9 (just to fill it out). After that two of them will be getting ALQ-188 pods. This is the best part of a build when it starts looking like what you imagined it would several months beforehand. :crying2:

F16_6.jpg

F16_5.jpg

F16_4.jpg

Thanks for looking. :salute: