Sd.Kfz.182 PzKpfw VI Ausf. B mit Porsche türm (Tamiya 1:35)

This build is 'bout three years old. I did participate with it in a groupbuild over at ACG n' it was my first experience with resin, Friuls, aluminium barrel... In short I took a normal Tamiya kit n' added a lot of aftermarket n' made it my first multimedia kit ever. I did most of the paintin' with handbrushes as I didn't own an airbrush back then.

Here's what I started with, a tad more than you get by just gettin' a Tamiya kit n' the best part of it all is that I got everything really cheap second hand. It cost me roughly just what the Tamiya kit should've cost in a store. In the end I also added Aber PE fenders that I had to get online but I don't remember from where...

groupbuildtigerii.jpg

I also added Tamiya's nice engine along the way, just because I could do it...

engine.jpg

aircleaner.jpg

The nice resin radiators before I glued 'em in place.

radiator.jpg

fan.jpg

The resin zimmerit from Cavallier in place.

zimmerit.jpg

Everything in place n' ready to be hidden.

radiator2.jpg

What can be seen through the engine hatch.

engine2.jpg

McCoy,

Geez !!! You are turning out models right, left and centre ...

I know you said that you made this some years back but it is, MY goodness, it is AWESOME

and NO airbrush ..The painting is OUTSTANDING and super...

Love the weathering and the colors are Simply FANTASTICALLY NEAT...FLAWLESS..

and love the figure too.....BEST ever I have seen

HOLMES :thumbsup::woot.gif::cheers::yahoo:

Thanks mate! You should know that I'm a really slow builder with a total of 20 completed builds over the last six years since I returned to the hobby. The paintin', nah, it's the power of Humbrol. n' as for the figure, well, it's not at all a good figure. It's my best n' also my last figure so far.

I'm not gonna post all my non birdie builds here n' get you bored with me. I'm postin' a few select ones but all my future birds will be posted here at ARC as I'm here for the birds.

McCoy,

This is an awesome build - especially since you did it by brush.

I also have this kit in my stash. It is good to see what aftermarket stuff you added. I generally don't use aftermarket stuff, but some of these I may go with.

Thanks mate! I agree on that you won't need all of that for your build. But a tip, if you ever get your hands on a set of Moskit exhaust pipes regardless of what kit they're for, grab 'em n' get the right kit for 'em later. They're really that good but they're also quite hard to get. The zimmerit is great but it's cheaper to use Milliput/Magic Sculp for the zimmerit if you're up to it. Friuls is allways a good but expensive buy, just avoid the old typ that I was forced to use for this build as it's a PiA to clamp 'em together, much better to use pins. Some PE is also great. You really don't need the turned aluminium barrel but I use 'em if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

McCoy if this is what you can do without an AB then I can't wait to see where you will go with one.

I really like the tracks. Can you share your painting and weathing process? I am wraping up my Tiger I and feel that my tracks are too shiney and would like to dull them up a bit.

Denis

McCoy if this is what you can do without an AB then I can't wait to see where you will go with one.

I really like the tracks. Can you share your painting and weathing process? I am wraping up my Tiger I and feel that my tracks are too shiney and would like to dull them up a bit.

Denis

Thanks mate!

I can post a lot of photos from the build for you tonight when I get home again if you like.

Thanks mate!

I can post a lot of photos from the build for you tonight when I get home again if you like.

Yes please, that would be great. I am still trying to perfect the way my tracks look and would be very much interested to see how you did yours.

Denis

looks nice, I bought this kit 1 year ago, I paint it by airbrush, but the camo not good like you, you painted this by brush or airbrush? thanks!

Thanks mate! This kit is painted by hand with brushes as I didn't own an airbrush back then.

Yes please, that would be great. I am still trying to perfect the way my tracks look and would be very much interested to see how you did yours.

Denis

I started of with the roadwheels by paintin' 'em on the sprues.

roadwheels.jpg

As you can see I made the mistake of painting the camouflage on the wrong side of the roadwheels n' had to repaint 'em. Bummer!

hull.jpg

hull2.jpg

size.jpg

Here I've painted the basecolour of the hull by sprayin' Tamiya TS-3 Dark Yellow direct from the rattlecan n' then mounted the repainted wheels.

commander.jpg

commander2.jpg

My not so good handiwork on the commander with Tamiya XF colours with a brush

camo11.jpg

camo12.jpg

camo13.jpg

camo14.jpg

Here I've brushpainted the brown part of the camouflage with Humbrol #160

camo21.jpg

camo22.jpg

camo23.jpg

camo24.jpg

Then it was time to paint the dark green. Once again by brush but this time with Model Master Enamel. I don't recall the colour number at the moment.

tracks.jpg

Here's a closeup on the tracks. They're painted dark gun metal n' then the rest is done with pigments. Since it was Friuls I could run a sandin' stick along the ice cleats. One other method is to use graphite powder on a finger, that's allways better than paint. I don't have any progress photos but just wait n' I'll post some from another build later on describing the pigment technique I use.

camo31.jpg

decals.jpg

front.jpg

turned.jpg

Here's the tracks plus the decals in place.

Here's the same procedure but with the difference that I've used it on a set of rubberband tracks belongin' to a Tamiya Cromwell (work in progress n' halted 'bout 1½ year ago) but the principle is the same.

First I primed 'em with GWS Chaos Black n' gave 'em a mild overspray with Tamiya X-10. Then it was time for the pigments that I put on with a dry stiff brush with a base of rust pigments with light n' dark rust pigments on top of that in order to break it up. Then I applyed a fair amount of Mig's Thinner for washes with a flat brush. I did put on more pigments while it was wet 'til I was happy n' then I wiped my finger over the tracks in order to remove pigments from the portrudin' areas. When it was dry n' I was sure on that I was satisfied with the result I did put a new wet coat on the tracks with Mig's Pigment Fixer n' let it cure over the night. The day after it was time for some action with my graphite pencil. I swiped it over the tracks on the surfaces that get regular contact with the ground n' the drive sprockets plus the roadwheels on the inside as rust don't build up in those areas.

Here's the pictures of the whole procedure.

rustpigments.jpg

tracks1.jpg

tracks2.jpg

tracks3.jpg

tracks4.jpg

tracks5.jpg

tracks6.jpg

Here's the roadwheels n' drive sprockets showin' the possibillity's with the graphite powder.

roadwheelsdone.jpg

drivesprocketsdone.jpg

If you mind a sugestion... Dont paint the white of the eyes. More often than not it gives the figures that dreaded hypnotic gaze. In this scale a single black spot, is enough to do the trick. If you insist in painting the white, make sure the black spot starts and ends on the flesh colour, with no white above or bellow. That will surely improve the overall look. Painting eyes is a real and ungratefull PITA, since it is such a small detail, but our brains are hardwired by millenia of evolution to focus on them...

A superb build.

I like this version of the King Tiger more than the safer Henschel turm version.

The Porsche term had that nasty shot trap under the gun mantlet.

As it is, I have this kit and the Cavalier Zim in my small 1:35 armour stash.

If you mind a sugestion... Dont paint the white of the eyes. More often than not it gives the figures that dreaded hypnotic gaze. In this scale a single black spot, is enough to do the trick. If you insist in painting the white, make sure the black spot starts and ends on the flesh colour, with no white above or bellow. That will surely improve the overall look. Painting eyes is a real and ungratefull PITA, since it is such a small detail, but our brains are hardwired by millenia of evolution to focus on them...

Yeah, I've got that comment a couple of times regardin' this figure n' it has it's merits. But this really is my last figure so far as I don't feel comfortable with 'em. Some day I'll try my brush on a figure again n' then I know that the eyes is less important as they're all important due to the overall effect they've got on the figure. Thanks for the encouragement mate!

A superb build.

I like this version of the King Tiger more than the safer Henschel turm version.

The Porsche term had that nasty shot trap under the gun mantlet.

As it is, I have this kit and the Cavalier Zim in my small 1:35 armour stash.

Thanks mate! I'm sure that your kit will be a stunner.