1:35 Revell Unimog

Hi Guys,

I've had this project going in the background for a few months and thought I'd post what I've got done so far here.

We Have a Unimog at work to tow one of our rescue boats and came across the kit so thought I'd have a go at it. It is a really bad kit, the plastic is extremely thin and covered in flashing everywhere and is just generally hard to work with. I've had to do a bit of scratch building so far, converting it from left hand drive to right and building an exhaust stack behind the drivers door. most of the work is going to be the rear tray as the canopy is molded onto it so I'll have to cut that off and add some plastic card before attaching it to the chassis.

The plan in the end will be to attempt to scratch build the trailer and the whole boat itself but that'll be a long way away.

Here's a link to pics of the real truck: http://111emergency.co.nz/J-M/MY6441.htm

And pics of how she looks so far:

SDC10627.jpg

SDC10499.jpg

SDC10631.jpg

SDC10565.jpg

SDC10630.jpg

I got the rear tray together and painted today. I've left it for months because I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it turned out pretty good. I had to cut the canopy off lower than the side of the tray so I built it back up to the right height and added some rods to give it some detail to match the rest of it. The real truck is lined with plywood on the floor so I'll get some balsa to replicate that once the paint dries.

SDC10017.jpg

SDC10020.jpg

SDC10021.jpg

Tray is finished, with the balsa in place

SDC10025.jpg

And I touched up some areas on the cab in green and added the indicators, red beacons on the grill and bits and pieces under the tray,

SDC10033.jpg

SDC10036.jpg

SDC10038.jpg

SDC10035.jpg

SDC10032.jpg

All I need to do now is finish off the rear end and find someone who can make the decals for me and I'll be ready to move onto building a trailer.

• 2 weeks later...