F-16SFW - drawing of the wing?

Hi,

are known any official F-16 SFW drawing? I found a two wind-tunel model photos. The first model looks like YF-16 or FSD F-16 with the new swept forward wing. Second is with the canards:

http://www.456fis.org/GRUMMAN_X-29.htm

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19361.0.html

NASA: http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Additio..._Tunnels_2#F-16

I think there must be known a projected wing shape, i want convert an Academy YF-16 kit to the SFW F-16.

Thank you.

L.

I don't think the FSW F-16 was ever anything more than an artist's concept. I'm not aware that they ever actually tested even a wind tunnel model of it. There may have been a desk model, but unless there was some engineering done on it, I doubt you're going to find more than tiny little general arrangement type drawings of it.

J

I don't think the FSW F-16 was ever anything more than an artist's concept. I'm not aware that they ever actually tested even a wind tunnel model of it. There may have been a desk model, but unless there was some engineering done on it, I doubt you're going to find more than tiny little general arrangement type drawings of it.

J

The links above show that there was an F-16 FSW configuration model made for the Wind Tunnel.

Other than that I don't think it went any further HTH

Edited by Felix Lucius
I'm not aware that they ever actually tested even a wind tunnel model of it.

From the first link given: "General Dynamics proposed an FSW version of the F-16 as a candidate design for the DARPA competition. Exploratory static wind-tunnel data had already been generated by cooperative tests led by Langley researcher Sue B. Grafton in the Langley 12-Foot Low-Speed Tunnel in 1978. Final tests of the General Dynamics design occurred in the Full-Scale Tunnel in April 1980."

Pic here.

From the second link.

And but one of several from the third link.

At least 172flogger knows of what he speaks...

Edited by LanceB
i found some photos, but not the wing shape. I also found completed what-if builds of the F-16SFWwith scratchbuld wings but i don't know what sources modellers used.

I think those photos may be all you'll find. If I were attempting this, I'd print the photos out and start taking measurements off of them. The F-16FSW design supposedly had a stretched fuselage, so I would start by measuring rudder chord (as that should be the same on the standard and FSW) to get the "scale" of the pics, and then using that scale and the actual measured fuselage length of the plane in the pic to get the length of the fuselage you'll need to model. Do this across a couple of images, you will likely find the numbers vary a bit due to photos being at different angles etc. but try to sort out what looks good to you and go with that.

Then figure out the wing root chord based on the "scale" you've calculated the images to be.

A couple of those NASA pics look like they could be used to measure the wing LE and TE angles (based on a straight line drawn at the wingroot), so draw the wing planform on a sheet of paper. If you know the wingroot chord and the LE and TE angles, all that is left is to figure out how much of the "tip" of the triangle you've created needs to be removed. I'd use a wingtip rail from the F-16 kit and a 'winder and pose them on the tip so they are parallel to the root and look to join the wing at the same point as they are fixed on the models in the pics. Mark that position, then double-check wing LE and TE lengths against what they "should" be based on calculating the "scale" of the pics of the models.

A little basic math, some careful measuring, and I think you can whip this out based on what you've already found.

• 1 month later...