Carro Armato M13/40 (Tamiya 1:35)

Another of my 'ol builds, I did this one 2½-3 years ago, still no airbrush.

This is the 'ol release from '74 that I mated with Friuls, PE n' some resin in order to make a half-fender M13/40 instead of the full fender variant that Tamiya makes. This also means that I backdated the kit as Tamiya's kit is an M14/41. It was just a matter of puttin the saw to the kit n' hope for the best as this was the first time I did any major alterations to a kit.

shortbuildstart.jpg

This build started out with a complete mess as my chaotic build style progressed.

m13_1.jpg

The kits fenders have been sawed off n' thinned in the back (not visible here), plus I've drilled out two holes in the front of the fenders n' started a little with the PE.

m13_2.jpg

The radiators is in place n' the 'ol M14/41 (yes it's the wrong grills in the kit for an M13/40) grills in the kit is removed.

m13_3.jpg

m13_4.jpg

m13_5.jpg

The guns have been drilled out to scale.

m13_6.jpg

I'm jumpin' from the hull n' doin' some tedious work on those Friul links. I would be happyer if they were just more than a little tad bigger, say like a Tiger II tracklink or so...

A word of advice though. Don't push the pin in place with yer thumb 'cos that's really dumb n' messy...

m13_7.jpg

15 links done n' there's plenty left n' then that's just for one side...

Thanks mate! I like the Italian tincans, they've a certain flair that speaks to me. This was in fact my second M13/40 as I've built the same kit OOtB as well 1½ year before I did this one plus that I've built the Semovente that uses the same chassie. I'll probably build 'em again but then I'll use the new boxings from Tamiya as those are updated...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice especially for no AB!!

I have the Italian M40 75/18 SP Gun Tank by Zvesda in my stash. It was given to me by a fellow modeller in my club at my previous city so I could practice and improve my skills. I will probably get to it soon to work on my weathering techniques, conceltrating on rust.

Denis