All,

In a moment of whimsy I bought a Revell Voyager kit (mainly as my SO watches the series while I game.) It does look impressive in the box - enough to contemplate lighting it. Unknown territory!

I've still got a copy of the Art of Electronics somewhere and a pile of (dusty) 555's that could be used, but wonder what normal people do. So can I ask here, who sells good lighting kits, who should I avoid, any tips you feel like sharing?

MTIA - Patrick

hi there

you could try www.madmanlighting.com as well - he seems to do pretty good basic lighting kits for most sci-fi subjects and includes good, clear instructions.

Also, if there isn't enough fiber optic for you, you can buy more from www.thefiberopticstore.com and go to town!

There is plenty of information available out here on how to use and wire up LED's etc effectively - Google could be your best mate here...

This fiber optic how-to link may be of some more help to you: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=82731&sid=5f7e97821e9d5d06f4df2be695f5e38e

There is also some 'debate' about whether or not to wire on a resistor to each LED you use. I personally take the time to solder on a resistor to each one as there is nothing more frustrating that having to take apart a finished piece to change an LED that has blown.

I hope this is of some help to you

Have fun lighting your kit bro! :cheers:

Edited by The Madhatter

a year or so ago, I did a series of lighting tutorial videos on my youtube channel, starting with the very basics of setting up simple circuits, to slightly more complex circuits right up to installing a system in a model. I have it all set up as a playlist, which you can watch here