1/48 Hasegawa RF-4E

Ok, at least I try to post the plan and stuff for my RF project. Hasegawa RF-4B will be converted into a RF-4E with some goodies.

* TD F-4 C/D/E/F/G wheels

* Aires RF-4B super-dooper set

* Eduard PE set zoom RF-4E

* Eduard Big ED for RF-4B

* DMold Intake set

* Lead foil from Dornfelder red wine bottle :thumbsup:

imgp1777s.jpg

Edited by tobiK

Here are the decal options:

I m pending if it will be a HAF RF-4E (retirement scheme), a Luftwaffe RF-4E (from Tiger meet 1991 - the one with the tiger rudder) or a spanish RF-4C (Titanes forever). Lets see... actually I prefer a Norm 83 camo.

imgp1779.jpg

Edited by tobiK

Interesting project!

H.A.F. RF-4E Phantoms have the S.E.A. and Norm 83 cammo with some "touch ups" on the black green with matt black. This makes the whole painting seem extreme weathered, great opportunity for lots of dirt and weathering on your model's cammo!

Are these "Three Star Decals"? If yes, they are very difficult to handle , cause they are homemade as you already know. Lots of future use, is the key of success...

Wish you a good start! :thumbsup:

You are right! They are "3***" decals, and this is what I m thinking...they are not that easy to use when I look at the sheet. I m worried about the fuselage colored background printed on...I m quite sure that the decal color will not match my sprayed color. So I have to try to cut as most as possible the single stencils/signs/numbers...accurately from the paper. Next, Giannis has not supplied stencils, or very less stencils. But even in Greece I can imagine there are still stencils left from Luftwaffe or maybe repainted (hehe, a big "maybe" about that). Thanks for the hint about future! And of course Mr. Mark softer. What about a sealing before putting them into water? Mr. metal primer? Or nothing required?

Info: Norm 83A: RAL 6003 Olivgrün, RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau and Waldgrün FS 34079.

FS 34079 = Gunze aqueous H309

RAL 7021 = Revell 09

RAL 6003 = Revell 61

Hmmm...I see, maybe I should start a poll? I guess the favorite will be the HAF phantom!

I searched for some pics inbetween, and there are a lot!!! Cool!

Unlike the GAF RF's the HAF birds are equipped with sidewinders (looks like a "J" type AIM-9) on grey rails -oh just a question to the greek-geeks! What colors are the rails?? Some grey!? -and the TACAN pod!! That' s indeed a kind of special load for a RF!

Dear friend tobiK.

The HAF RF-4E's are repainted by H.A.I. after their 3rd stage maintenance. Common fact is that every aircraft inserted for maintenance, painted after that, with it's current cammo again.

For instance, if a "Lizard" (Norm 83A) cammo inserted for maintenance, after it will be painted again with the Norm 83A one. Stencils are painted again (in english!) with light gray colour,

Here is a photo of the ex-luftwaffe t/n "7495" "fresh"-painted by Hellenic Aerospace Industry.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Ai...fc1f948ed0dfae6

I m worried about the fuselage colored background printed on...I m quite sure that the decal color will not match my sprayed color

Yeap, i worried also for the same reason to apply the decals on my HAF F-4E Anniversary.

Thanks for the hint about future! And of course Mr. Mark softer. What about a sealing before putting them into water? Mr. metal primer? Or nothing required?

No need to thank me man! Giannis says that his decals are not vanurable to any kind of decal "softer" or "primer", but last time i used them, with simple water and future, i had some little problems. So...be careful!

Giannis did a great artwork job, but as "home made decals", have their issues... :thumbsup:

Unlike the GAF RF's the HAF birds are equipped with sidewinders (looks like a "J" type AIM-9) on grey rails -oh just a question to the greek-geeks! What colors are the rails?? Some grey!? -and the TACAN pod!! That' s indeed a kind of special load for a RF!

About loadout:

-The AIM-9's are not "-J" ones but AIM-9P 4 ones ("Papa-4") and they are kind different on their colours.

-There are variety of launcher's colours. Most of them are gray as you see them in the photo, and it is around the "medium gray" (Humbrol 140 is very good i thing, i'll come up with more info's later)

-Also the pod is the ASTAC (French ELINT pod) that HAF RF-4E are using as a recconsaince/ELINT platform.

Cheers

Panos

Edited by F-16rhs
* Lead foil from Dornfelder red wine bottle :)

imgp1777s.jpg

So hum if you only need the foil from the wine bottle i voluntere to drink the content :rolleyes:

as for the scheme i really like the green tail from the box art

Edited by Neo

Ok, guys, now you got me doing the cheek greek geek!

I will not put all the AM inside because the model should not be overloaded with detail. The colorful painting has to attract the eyes.

Nevertheless will make a mix of Eduard PE and Resin parts in the pit, Exhaust cans, pylons, intakes and wheel bays. The ASTAC pod will come from a Hasegawa RF-4EJ KAI (left over).

Sidewinder P4 is not so easy, even in the Hasegawa weapons set C there are only 4 "J" types (looking the most closest to P types). But they are already set aside for my F-16B TNI-AU ... so I m out of J/P4 winders.

Maybe you have a hint which kit contains good J/P winders? Maybe some F-4E boxings?

@Neo: Hey!! lol...What about that? You are invited to drink the red juice with me...drinking alone is not funny!

Maybe you have a hint which kit contains good J/P winders? Maybe some F-4E boxings?
I think you can found some 1/48 AIM-9P in monogram/revell F-5E/F or in AFV Club F-5E/F kit. SO what are you waiting for? please do a sprue cutting ceremony for this Greek bird! :thumbsup:

I totally agree. I thing they are the best Papa Winders, -in 1/48 scale!

Italeri F-16C has good Papa's also. Try them!

Yep, I checked Mono F-5 and AFV F-5 (best winders, but only 2 in the box!). I found some in the left over parts from the RF-4EJ...her you can see! They are the same as in many F-4E boxings. I already puttied them.

I want to make inert missiles: with a blue body and white fins and head, with a yellow seaker cover on.

I started now with the two tanks and the TACER / ASTAC pod (very nice part, perfectly molded, much better than the rest of the F-4 parts).

tankss.jpg

Edited by tobiK

Here you can see the WSO cockpit of a RF-4E...take note to the right side console and the sidewall:

rf4ewsopit.jpg

(source of the pic: model art profile, JASDF F-4 Phantoms)

and now compare it with the instruction on the Eduard PE set for the RF-4E! (see next post)

Edited by tobiK

What is Eduard doing here? You see the WSO pit - look at the right sidewall! For the "E" version you should add the wall panel that s built in the RF-4B because of the Navy style IFR probe on the right forward fuse side...hey, dudes...I am really confused now!!

rf4epeeduard0001.jpg

Building a simple RF-E seams more difficult than one can think about, uh!?

Edited by tobiK
Here is a pic I found of the 7487, with a TACER pod on the centerline. Just a link:

http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/show.php?id=934369

I m not sure about how to handle the copyright and I want to avoid a violation of the copyright of Kampitoglou Dimitrios.

Are you going to reproduce them and sell them using the Company name???

Then there is no copyright infringement......

If you are building a RF-4E then you need to build it to "E" standards, E's did not have the side mounted IFRP so the cockpit should not be configured that way, you have the reference book with photo's of the actual a/c so why think that Eduard got it right in their instructions......Also you have the RF-4B zoom set, did you mix it with the E set you have and just get them confused....???

I don't really care for the ED stuff, a bit overrated and about 50% of it is useless, colors are generally off too.

If you are building inert 9P's then you can strip off that poor excuse of a rolleron on the tails, easy conversion.

Wish you luck on your build, great subject, love the paint scheme.

Curt

that poor excuse of a rolleron on the tails

:P

hehe, guess what will I do???

Hi curt,

mainly I agree with you about eduard stuff (colors, sometimes the printquality is more "foggy" than clear, ...).

So what I ve posted was the instruction for the "E" zoom set and I ve compared with the "B" set. It s the same about the right sidewall of the WSO ....for B and E! Yep, and due to my refs there s the big difference from B to E.

I will solve this problem taking resin sidewalls from an E/C/or D pit and don t glue in the Navy sidewall.

What I wanted to say / show: if you have no other refs and relay on the Instruction, so will go wrong!

about copyright: I asked a friend too, and the way I did posting the link was all right! thanks anyway to you too!

• 2 weeks later...