YF-23 model kits?

What scale are you asking about?

I'm a 1/72 guy. There was the Italeri/Testors kit and the DML/Dragon kit. Both are long out of production but can be found on eBay from time to time. Occasionally the bidding can get a little silly though.

I'm not too familiar with any 1/48 offerings of the YF-23, if any, are available.

In 1/32, Zactomodels, which can be found in the manufacturers forums on this site, is working on a pattern to produce a multi media kit of the YF-23. Check out the Zactomodels forum on ARC for more info.

Collect Aire made a 1/48th scale kit of the YF-23. It is not in their current catalog. This is a pic from the IPMS Nats in Orange County, CA a few years back. This is not my model, wish it was. Don M.

IPMSNATS2007182.jpg

IPMSNATS2007187.jpg

Edited by viper50
Collect Aire made a 1/48th scale kit of the YF-23. It is not in their current catalog. This is a pic from the IPMS Nats in Orange County, CA a few years back. This is not my model, wish it was. Don M.

IPMSNATS2007182.jpg

Wonder if is the same one that was at Scale Fest in the Dallas area a few years ago?

Of the two...Italeri and DML, the Italeri has the reputation of being the better. I have one in my stash that I got off of ebay. I checked regularly for months before one popped up. I had to spend a good bit to get it.

Isn't the Tamiya repop of the Italeri still available at some of the far-east internet shops?

Yes, Tamiya/Italeri/Testors are the same kit, which is the most accurate kit of YF-23 in that scale.

In 1/48 we only have Collect Aire, which looks somewhat inaccurate to me.

Here is a thread where i was building my YF-23:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=181769&hl=

DSC02948.jpg

About the only kit I could find is the testors quick build

Testors YF-23

No idea what these are like.

I think that Zactoman's 1/32nd kit will be worth waiting for.

That is the Testors quick build die cast kit. Horribly detailed, but about the only thing readily available in 1/72.
For those that have not seen the Testors/Italeri, I took these sprue shots. Don M.

Jan282011051.jpg

Black plastic, interesting. Is it the from the Testors box?

Revell issued a 1/144 scale version, here's my build report.

Rob

yf23-01.jpg

Nice one. Those little buggers go for 20 dollars on ebay. I have seen the Italeri one go up to around 55 bucks tho. Good i have a stash of those thanks to a frenchman. :rolleyes:

Interesting to note that Revell and Italeri both have the mesh on top of the engines represented as round "holes".

was/is the Revell version the same as the Trumpeter one by chance?

I am pretty sure they are different toolings.

Also, in 1/72 scale there was Revell kit as well. Italeri/Testrors rebox.

IPMSNATS2007182.jpg

IPMSNATS2007187.jpg

I recognize that style of base - that one was almost certainly made by "Bondo" Phil Brandt.

The YF-23 is one of the sexiest planes ever built, in my book, at least!

Any chance someone has scale drawings, including cross sections? This may to be a project well worth spending time TRYING to scratchbuilt in 1/48 scale.

The YF-23 is one of the sexiest planes ever built, in my book, at least!

Any chance someone has scale drawings, including cross sections? This may to be a project well worth spending time TRYING to scratchbuilt in 1/48 scale.

There is nice drawings of F-23. Yes, it is not a typo. F-23.

I have yet to see good drawings of YF-23. That is however one of projects i have been thinking about...

Since I'm at it, I have an ignorant question...

Say, one can't find scale drawings with cross section of a plane. If you use a 1/72 scale plane, you cut the model so you have the sections, transfer them on paper, scan 'em, what program should one use to 'blow' it up to the desired scale, as accurate as possible? :D Hmmmm, this sound awfully complicated, now that I look at the question, but at least for my own knowledge.

Cheers!

Emil

There is nice drawings of F-23. Yes, it is not a typo. F-23.

I have yet to see good drawings of YF-23. That is however one of projects i have been thinking about...

Hey, Berkut!

I asked 'bout the drawings because I'm certain I've seen unclassified blueprints of the YF-23 containing all the cross sections for sale, somewhere on the web, but for the love of God, I can't find them anymore!

Hey, Berkut!

I asked 'bout the drawings because I'm certain I've seen unclassified blueprints of the YF-23 containing all the cross sections for sale, somewhere on the web, but for the love of God, I can't find them anymore!

Try here:

http://www.up-ship.com/drawndoc/drawndocair.htm

Scroll down a bit. there is a set for sale and includes some cross sections.

Of the two...Italeri and DML, the Italeri has the reputation of being the better. I have one in my stash that I got off of ebay. I checked regularly for months before one popped up. I had to spend a good bit to get it.

Could I know what is wrong with the Dragon/DML kit? I have one somewhere in my stash but I never really examined it. Bought it on a whim. Thanks in advance :cheers:

THANK YOU, Jason! :crying2:

That's exactly what I need! Much appreciated!

Emil

And that is exactly those drawings i was talking about. They are NOT YF-23 drawings. As i have previously stated, they are F-23 drawings. Either way, they are beautiful and interesting insight in what F-23 would have looked like. There is numerous differences between YF-23 and F-23.

PS: Thank you for the info Viper. I have so far only the Italeri kit. (several of them).

Edited by Berkut