YF-23 model kits?

And that is exactly those drawings i was talking about. They are NOT YF-23 drawings. As i have previously stated, they are F-23 drawings. Either way, they are beautiful and interesting insight in what F-23 would have looked like. There is numerous differences between YF-23 and F-23.
Could you please elaborate on all the differences for us?
Could you please elaborate on all the differences for us?

Well, they are rather obvious in the drawings tbh. However, here is a short version:

- Pelikan tails are larger in size.

- The engine bulges are rounded.

- TWO engine bays.

- Intakes with different shape and cones (ala F-111).

- Nozzles are different, and doesn't have the *insert name here* design.

- Engines sits closer together.

PS: Alright, i feel pretty stupid. :jaw-dropping: I didn't take a close enough look, and now i i realize that Scott have YF-23 drawings on his site. These are F-23 drawings (they also come from Scott):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/YF-23%204%20View.gif

:jaw-dropping:

So, sorry for jumping the gun.

Edited by Berkut
Well, they are rather obvious in the drawings tbh. However, here is a short version:

- Pelikan tails are larger in size.

- The engine bulges are rounded.

- TWO engine bays.

- Intakes with different shape and cones (ala F-111).

- Nozzles are different, and doesn't have the *insert name here* design.

- Engines sits closer together.

PS: Alright, i feel pretty stupid. :whistle: I didn't take a close enough look, and now i i realize that Scott have YF-23 drawings on his site. These are F-23 drawings (they also come from Scott):

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/YF-23%204%20View.gif

:doh:

So, sorry for jumping the gun.

It's okay, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as I had bought and downloaded Scott's YF-23 drawings and couldn't see any major differences between them and the Italeri kit.
Could I know what is wrong with the Dragon/DML kit? I have one somewhere in my stash but I never really examined it. Bought it on a whim. Thanks in advance :whistle:

I think Italeri captured the shape of the spine better.

Cheers,

Andre

I think Italeri captured the shape of the spine better.

Cheers,

Andre

Well, it is long time since i have done comparing, but i remember that Italeri is much more correct. The nose, canopy, spine, intakes looks very odd in the dragon kit. The Dragon kit goes for a decent amount of money on Ebay as well, so i would recommend selling it, and getting the Italeri/Revell/Testors instead.

" If you're looking for something "SMALL", Trumpeter makes one in 1/144 scale "

Well, so there is an light at end of the tunnel ... I believe Trumpeter/HB will release

a 1/48 YF-23 soon, mainly if They see much interest in this very "awesome" aircraft,

the YF-23 SHOULD BE the aircraft for the 21st Century.

Good Luck

SouthViper

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more info on the Italeri/Testors/Tamiya version:

The kit's decal sheet is incomplete, as it only has one pair of each serial number. On the YF-23, the serial numbers were painted on both sides of the tails, not just the outside. Suggested remedy: get two kits at the same time and build both airframes. :-)

Second, the engine exhaust section is accurate only for one of the airframes - to build the other correctly, you need to fill and re-scribe some of the paneling. This has to do with the engines being different on each prototype. I can't remember off hand which of the airframes it's good for, though.

There were some other issues mentioned where I found the above, but fixing those would be a pro job. (It involved the shape and/or position of the intakes...)

Finally, there's the issue of weapons - you're definitely going to want replacement missiles, the ones in the kit suck. Rob some from Revell's F-22 or F-16, that's the easiest place to find AIM-120Cs...

Cheers,

SP

The kit's decal sheet is incomplete, as it only has one pair of each serial number. On the YF-23, the serial numbers were painted on both sides of the tails, not just the outside. Suggested remedy: get two kits at the same time and build both airframes.

That's not entirely accurate. My Testors boxing includes two pairs of each tail number (800 and 801). I'm not sure if the same is true for the Italeri and Tamiya issues.

Italeri definitely didn't have more than two of each number (out of the four needed), and from what I remember the Tamiya versions are straight reboxes with the same decal sheets as Italeri. (Italeri is about the only manufacturer you can find on shelves here nowadays, the importers for everything elses suck rocks).

SP

Sorry to bump the thread...

A bit more info on the Italeri/Testors/Tamiya version:

The kit's decal sheet is incomplete, as it only has one pair of each serial number. On the YF-23, the serial numbers were painted on both sides of the tails, not just the outside. Suggested remedy: get two kits at the same time and build both airframes. :-)

Cheers,

SP

Correct. There is also two versions of Italeri sheet. The colors vary on those:

DSC02438.jpg

Second, the engine exhaust section is accurate only for one of the airframes - to build the other correctly, you need to fill and re-scribe some of the paneling. This has to do with the engines being different on each prototype. I can't remember off hand which of the airframes it's good for, though.

Cheers,

SP

Yes. PAV-1 (Black WidowII) had PW YF119 engines (YF-22 also flew with these, and was elected and is used on F-22) while PAV-2 (Gray Ghost) had GE YF120 engines. Apparently PAV-2 was a rocket with YF120 engines...How fast it really was is interesting, but a lot point to that it was a lot faster than YF-22/F-22.

PAV-2 exhaust is a bit wider, and the Italeri kit is correct for PAV-1. If you want to build PAV-2, you need to modify the exhaust to make them broader. Just how much, i don't remember atm. Besides, you have rescribe some "tooths" and the "flap" above the engine is out of one part and is fixed on PAV-2. The weaponbay is not correct for PAV-2 either OOB.

There were some other issues mentioned where I found the above, but fixing those would be a pro job. (It involved the shape and/or position of the intakes...)

Intakes are the biggest accuracy issue in the Italeri kit. There is however a few other "bugs", but they are very easy to fix. Tbh, fixing the intake problem is not a huge issue either. You can do it in 10 min. How to fix them, and the other bugs are all mentioned in my build, linked to earlier.

Outstanding little YF-23 guy! It is deserving of the first place you got in the 1/144 scale division. I have one in my stash along with the YF-22. These little Revell guys are gems and I am keeping them. ;)

Thanks for the compliments! About the companion Revell 1/144 YF-22: I started that model too, but I stalled when I noted that the fuselage and the cockpit looks rather flat. It's difficult to point out the exact error, but it doesn't look like the real thing in my mind. I don't mind correcting a shape with some plastic card and Milliput, but I don't know how to approach it.

Rob