have blue xst project fuselage shells complete

Hi I am looking for parts for a model i am scratchbuilding, making masters. I need 1/48 f-5e or f-5 instrumentationand an ejection seat.. i also need 1/48 a-10 warthoig landing gear w/wheels. Can anyone help me please with some details.

Edited by Erik Bultz
nice start Erik!

it's an interresting project.

(sadly for you, i ain't got any of the requested parts, as i'm mostly builds soviet/russian subjects)

i hope you'll do a WIP thread with it.

where you aware that there was a resin model of Have Blue, by Attic Aircraft?

Yes i am aware of it, and it is a piece of crap from what i've herd. ill do a work in progress thread. I have gotton more done on it. the top part of the fuselage is done, execept for the canopy which is going to be a difficult herdle has i think myu best bet would be carving the master for it out of balsa or bass wood. then get someone to vacuform it as a clear canopy. I have to make another trip to the hobby shop tomarrow to get the wood.

Eric....I just bought the AFV Club F-5E and the Aires pit, so I won't be needing the kit instruments or ejection seat. I also can scrounge up a set of A-10 wheels from an Italeri or HB A-10. I have a few of each and bought Royal Resin's wheels to use with them so the kit wheels aren't being used. PM me if you are interested.

Eric....I just bought the AFV Club F-5E and the Aires pit, so I won't be needing the kit instruments or ejection seat. I also can scrounge up a set of A-10 wheels from an Italeri or HB A-10. I have a few of each and bought Royal Resin's wheels to use with them so the kit wheels aren't being used. PM me if you are interested.

How are the royal resins wheels compared to the kits wheels?

Yes i am aware of it, and it is a piece of crap from what i've herd. ill do a work in progress thread. I have gotton more done on it. the top part of the fuselage is done, execept for the canopy which is going to be a difficult herdle has i think myu best bet would be carving the master for it out of balsa or bass wood. then get someone to vacuform it as a clear canopy. I have to make another trip to the hobby shop tomarrow to get the wood.

maybe, i'd didn't go that deep in my search... (it was only intended to help a little)

but effectivly, that kit seems, a first glance, rather simplistic, to the least...

and, from the pic i've seen of your work, it looks "crisp/sharp" edges.

isnt the canopy diamond-shaped? souldn't be that hard (i think so)with clear plastic sheet...

I have most of the 48th scale geometry in Master Cam, also have the junk-which-poses-as-a-kit from Attic and it is not 48th scale. Interestingly, according to my measurements, the vac canopy from the Attic kit is exactly the right size for 48th scale and it seems to me to be the only useful part from the kit. You want it? I can mail it.

Erik, I got your message, could not reply, says your mailbox is full. I will get the canopy into the mail to you Tuesday.

Mingwin, as for the Attic kit, referencing is as "crap" is insulting to crap. It may resemble Have Blue, but nothing except the canopy area is 1/48th and it varies from there to 1/56th. Wing sweep is wrong, castings are pitted and the two fuselage halves are big blobs of resin that the resin gear provided could not support. And that's the good news. IMHO, the only usable part of the kit is the canopy. Unfortunately for my pocketbook, the Attic kit is not the only "gotta have" kit I've bought that is so bad that the best use would be the joy of tossing it into the big swirl.

Erik, I got your message, could not reply, says your mailbox is full. I will get the canopy into the mail to you Tuesday.

Mingwin, as for the Attic kit, referencing is as "crap" is insulting to crap. It may resemble Have Blue, but nothing except the canopy area is 1/48th and it varies from there to 1/56th. Wing sweep is wrong, castings are pitted and the two fuselage halves are big blobs of resin that the resin gear provided could not support. And that's the good news. IMHO, the only usable part of the kit is the canopy. Unfortunately for my pocketbook, the Attic kit is not the only "gotta have" kit I've bought that is so bad that the best use would be the joy of tossing it into the big swirl.

Sweet I appreciate it. There is an updated photograph of my build coming up today. the top half of the fuselage is 99% completed.

Here is an update on my build. Picture showing the bottom of the Lockheed have blue master bottom half, not yet finished.

So far I am quite pleased with the build, being my first I have ever done from scratch and the first model that i have built in 13yrs. im 23yrs, going to be 24yrs old on Feb 2nd.

s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa409/stealthx51/?action=view&current=havebluebottom75compleated.jpg

Edited by Erik Bultz

I was going to do the casting. There is a question, would you scribe the details after you made the first cast, then use that cast you scribed the details on, as the master for the final mold which would produce the kit? I have smaller stuff that I am casting before i do this. I have a vaccume pump. all i need to get is a vaccume chamber.

I was going to do the casting. There is a question, would you scribe the details after you made the first cast, then use that cast you scribed the details on, as the master for the final mold which would produce the kit? I have smaller stuff that I am casting before i do this. I have a vaccume pump. all i need to get is a vaccume chamber.

I would do the scribing on the first or so castings. The resin will be even and not different hardnesses.

Great that you are doing them....

Edited by Harold

Once these are done, i have plans to start on a 1/48 Boeing Bird of Prey. Drawings are ready to go to start making the patterns for those. I have a few guys supplyingg me good info.

I am going back to college to brush up on my autocad skills in the summer. I already took a plastics class, and I keep my books and all my homework i did.

Edited by Erik Bultz
  • 1 month later...
This is looking very nice so far!

I have kinda post poned work on the project, trying to find a job has been taking up some of my time. I did recieve the canopy, and will be able to use it. It is the right fit, and size. I have been working on whenever i have time to spare the bird of prey, which is almost ready to be vacuformed so i can work on the interior, (landing gear bays, and cockpit). THe Rq-3a Darkstar is going to be the first model i cast. I still have some figuring out to do, I am putting alot of effort into maximizing amount of detail into these.

Here is what I have been making progress on.

Sinally taking shape.

DSC00704.jpg

Here is some work I have been doing on hte exhaust port, i'm not finished with it yet. Alot of sanding with a dremel, and sanding sponges, alpha abrasives sanding sticks.

DSC00705.jpg

Here is one of the wings, which will be casted resin.

DSC00706.jpg

Edited by Erik Bultz