Need advice on Orlando as a holiday destination.

Hi all,

Planning on going to the big mouse town for a family once-a-lifetime type of holiday this May. Just looking for some advice from those who have been there.

We (myself, SWMBO and our 8 year old son) plan to do the Disney parks, Universal, and day trips to Sea World, Kennedy Space Centre and a full day trip to the everglades. Just wondering, would it be better to stay in one of the Disney resort hotels, or one of the non-affiliated (and significantly cheaper) hotels and just buy the tickets for the parks? We plan on doing a day at a park, followed by a day of rest, followed by another day of activity and another day of rest, and so on. We'll be there for 2 weeks, and plan on hiring a car as well. Will be booking it through a package tour operator, but the choice of options are bewildering to say the least. So I was just hoping to get an insight from those who may have done it, before I listen to the sales pitch.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Roy, please feel free to PM me. I am a 15 year veteran cast member(thats what they call the employees...LOL) of the Diseny Park. I live on a hill overlooking the parks and the fireworks echo through our backyard every night....

Now, I wish I could be this experienced about building scale models!!!

anywho, I love the place.

This year Disney has introduced and all in one hotel/meals/ and parks admission that is the best ever! You want to stay AT THE PARK! It is much easier! They are providing transport, if you need it. They give you the meal plans, and the parks admission is greatly reduced when you stay and use the "Length of Stay" program from the resorts..

If you plan on eating at some of the nice restaurants instead of the roof shingled hamburger places they have,chicken is nasty too, they have made it VERY HARD to just make reservations, unless you are staying in the hotels. The resorts have booked the restaurants up for their guests, and that makes it very limited to day parks guest. I mean it is a nightmare.....

Please send me a PM and I will send you my email so that if you would like me to do some leg work, I can talk to my buddies in the parks and at the resorts to help you out!

Glad to hear you are coming to Florida....our economy is waiting!! LOL!!!

-Jim

Need advice on Orlando as a holiday destination.

Do you *really* want my advice? Okay...

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Orlando and Disney in particular are not of this earth. They are certainly not of the United States. They are a 100% fabricated fantasyland. If that's what you're seeking, then by all means. But if you're looking for a relaxing way to see America, then stay as far from Orlando as you can get. If you really want to see Florida, spend some time in the Keys.

That's my advice, but others will obviously disagree...

J

Do you *really* want my advice? Okay...

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Orlando and Disney in particular are not of this earth. They are certainly not of the United States. They are a 100% fabricated fantasyland. If that's what you're seeking, then by all means. But if you're looking for a relaxing way to see America, then stay as far from Orlando as you can get. If you really want to see Florida, spend some time in the Keys.

That's my advice, but others will obviously disagree...

J

Now, that is real experience!! LOL!! Shhhhhhh, we need his, I mean THE money down here....LOL!!!!!!

I went last week when it rained and there was NO ONE in the park...yet they were still ignorant, brain-dead, and rude as always. Got hit with someone's stroller, cause she wasn't watching what we were doin, then sat beside a group of people that yelled in a different language at all the effects in the philharmagic show......

Dont forget...IPMS NATS 2012...at Disney!!!!!

-Jim

Well I have been there twice in the last ten years and agree with Jim. The meal plan especially is a great deal. This time when we go we got a great deal outside the park. Only plan on 2 or 3 days at Disney itself so I'm not sure if we can get any "deals".

If not for the great deal we have on accomadation I would have stayed at a "value resort" like Pop century again. Course if not for the great outside accomadation deal we would not have been able to afford to go this year anyway.

roym,,

I have not yet been there although I have been to USA many times to see MY family back home..

I am sure your 8 year old son will enjoy the FANTASY side of the DISNEYLAND. And I hope you have a great time too...

You ONLY live ONCE ..So I hope you have a lovely holiday......Going to a beach resort, coconut filled beaches and tree lined huts is as same as this..ALL FANTASY !!!

GO WILD !!!! ENJOY ... ;) :taunt::jaw-dropping::bandhead2:

HOLMES

Disney World is wonderful! Yes, it's complete fantasy, but that's the whole point. I've been there on three occassions and have very fond memories of each.

Since you'll be there with a car, I strongly encourage you to make the hour drive east to the Kennedy Space Center and take the tour of the launch pads. For us aerospace geeks, you won't find a better way to spend a day!

I've been to Disneyworld 5 times, twice as a kid myself, once in my 20s, and twice now with my own family (along with my parents and my sister's family).

The last trip we made was just this past August. Me, my wife, and our 11 year-old traveled with my parents and my sister, her husband, and their three kids (10, 7, and 4).

We packed all three theme parks, a rest day, and another day where we split up (my Dad and I went to the Space Center and the rest went to Harry Potter land or whatever the heck it's called). All in about a week. We did it 6 years ago too.

AND WE LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT! :jaw-dropping:

And we even got to "experience" Hurricane Charlie....have some fun pics of our son and nephew climbing on downed palms in what was then MGM Studios.

Although reservations for the restaurants do fill up fast with the new system, this past August we simply made them the moment we arrived at the park in the morning (for both lunch and dinner). Even with our huge group of 10, we always got in. For lunch, we often didn't even need reservations, but we did follow the advice in the book, which can guide you to restaurants that are less-busy.

This is the book you want...it's the Bible of Disney with kids...

http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Walt-Disney-W.../ref=pd_sim_b_7

Use the fast-passes!

And finally, plan everything, even down to where you'll likely eat lunch and dinner, AHEAD OF TIME. That means, have your days planned even before you leave home on the trip.

If you follow the book, and plan ahead, you'll save a tremendous amount of time, and you won't be one of the silly Dads that blows thousands of dollars in order to wander aimlessly, having a loud, public, argument with his wife while dragging screaming kids around. Believe me, most families who plan poorly or not at all do not have a good time there...I've seen it.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Edited by mlicari

I forgot to say that in our last two trips, we stayed outside the park. Previously, we had stayed in the park (twice at the Contemporary, once in the Polynesian).

Traffic control in/out of the parks and parking itself is well-planned and simple, so if you do stay outside the park, don't worry about hassles. Just get there early in the morning, and plan on taking some time to leave at the end of the day. If you, mentally, have that built in, it won't be a problem.

If you, on the other hand, think you might have a situation where you'd like to go back and forth between the park and your room, then you'd better stay in a Disney resort. That flexibility is about the only real advantage they offer.

Mike

We go to Orlando a lot and have stayed outside the park and in. We like staying on the resort property a lot better. Even the 'budget' level resort hotels are nice, and getting around using the buses or boat is easy. Depending on what you're used to, driving in Orlando traffic may or may not be quite a shock. Also, I find it interesting mingling with people from all over the world at the shops and restaurants.

-Mike

Thanks so far all.

What we are looking for is as follows

Me; Sun, sand, heat, Kennedy Space Centre, sun, days out in fantasyland, sun, sand, Everglades, some shopping, sun and sun.

OH; Sun, sand, shopping, sun, Everglades, shopping, sand, shopping, days out in fantasyland, sun, shopping, sand, Kennedy Space Centre, sun, shopping and sun.

Son; Disney, food, universal, disney, Space Centre, disney, universal, swimming in warm water.

(This is for Jennings....) Been to EuroDisney myself many years ago, so have an idea what to expect. Also spent a few months in West Virginia about 6 years ago, so under no illusions as to what USA is actually like and whether Orlando bears any relation to reality, which -like I did with WV- hope it doesn't.

Oh yes, one thing we found. Souvenirs....... at Disney itself big bucks. At a Walmart just outside the theme parks, same stuff for way less.

Just be careful about trafiic. Last time some woman jumped in front of the car we were following, got hit and flew right in front of mine. She died on route to the hospital despite the time I spent waiting for the local cops to show up as I attempted to hold her skull together.

Having lived in Orlando / Cocoa Beach for 12 years, my opinion is that, yes, it is expensive - but what tourist destination isn't??? Ever been to New York? I just got back from four days in Las Vegas - anything but cheap.

The point is that Disney - especially for an 8 year old - is a fantastic display of imagination. My first trip to Disneyland in California was around when I was 8 - and it left an incredible impression on me.

I think the key is to realize that; Yes, it will be hot, humid, crowded, expensive and the weather unpredictable at best. Even with all that - there is an amazing amount of things to do within a 2 hour drive of Orlando center. Prepare ahead of time, plan on things taking longer, and being a little more expensive than you thought. If you go with reasonable expectations, you and your family will have a great time. If you're expecting some sort of magical nirvanna - you'll be sorely disappointed. Depending on your time available - out of Port Canaveral, Disney runs their Cruise Ships - which I haven't been on, but my friends have multiple times -and loved it.

Along with the not to be missed Kennedy Space Center, there's the Valiant Air Command museum "across the street" at the Space Coast Regional airport, and near that; the "Astronaut Hall of Fame". Kermit Weeks "Fantasy of Flight" is in Lakeland (about an hour out of Orlando heading towards Tampa). And, if you head over to Tampa, Busch Gardens is a lot of fun as well. If you like roller coasters and more high energy rides - "Islands of Adventure" at Universal is my favorite.

Despite some negative comments, Orlando is the number one tourist destination on Planet Earth. So, it must be something worthwile to draw so many people. And that can be a problem if you're not prepared. Do your research - plenty of books on the subject - and you'll be rewarded with an extemely memorable family vacation.

Hitch

Hmmm....are you going during what is innocently called Spring Break, when millions of college students and other drunks head to Florida?

My wife and all her family went to Harry Potter World during Christmas week when it was cold and absolutely jam packed with people. My daughter tweeted that it was like the most crowded airshow times 1000. Me and the dog wisely stayed home and endured the hardship of eating pizza, drinking beer and watching old movies on Dish that week. Anyway, they stayed onsite and had some kind of pass (my MIL is a big Potter fan and paid for everything) that got them in without having to stand in line with the other 10,000 people, which were, and I'm not making this up, formed up well before 9am.

Anyway have a good time and remember, we mostly drive on the right, except for rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.

bob

sierrascale

Here is the best advice you will find in this thread. I have a vacation planned this summer, I am renting a Mickey themed house for less than $80.00 a day. It is not a time share or anything like that. It is an owner who rents out the home through a site called call alwaysonvacation.com

Here is the link:

http://www.alwaysonvacation.com/advancedsearchresults.html

The home is three years old, there are no meetings to attend, it is all paid for. Each home owner has reviews you can read. The house is fully furnished, has a pool, games room, and a fully stocked kitchen and a bbq as well.

I could not find any Disney deals that could touch it, I could not find any budget hotels who could beat it. Take a look at the site and be your own judge. The economy is hurting so the renters are willing to give you deals, such as a free day every 5 days that you stay and bigger benefits for longer stays.

The home I am staying at is 5 miles from the gates of Disney World.

Edited by Scooby

Another accomadation option is to rent a house. I have a close friend with a vacation home 10 minutes from the park that he rents out. Newish 3 bedroom house fully furished even has a PS2 game system and it's own private inground pool and hot tub and free wireless and the cost is a bit over $100 per night.

Here's a link to the site I designed for him.....warning site has music......I've also included a few pics of the place.

http://www.mgmvacationhome.com/

house-index-page.jpg

02.jpg

04.JPG

21.jpg

And finally, plan everything, even down to where you'll likely eat lunch and dinner, AHEAD OF TIME. That means, have your days planned even before you leave home on the trip.

Mike

This is great advice too, I alway set up a schedule of where we are going to be on each day. I even pick the restaraunts at this time and I book them well in advance. They do take reservations far in advance. There is a 1-800 number to book everything.

I take the kids every 3-4 years. Tried saving money by staying in town on the main drag (International drive "I-drive") but the last few trips have settled on staying at Disney. They handle everything for you including picking you up at the airport. Much more conveinent, you can take the mono-rail / shuttle buses everywhere. They run every 10-15 minutes and are the best way to get around the park. If you are going off-park, either rent a car or sign up for a tour bus. I much prefer renting a car and doing my own thing, at my own pace however, if you are coming from Ireland and are used to driving on the "wrong" side of the street, you may have some issues. The local roads and highway system are very easy to navigate and all the tourist areas are safe. I'd try to obtain a GPS unit if you plan on doing extensive driving.

As far as the hotels at Disney, I look at a hotel at a place like this as nothing more than a pit stop to get cleaned up and sleep in. So I tend to go with the cheap option and stay at one of the All-Star resorts. They all have nice big pools, cafeteria-style restaurants, game rooms, etc. If you want to dine upscale, all of the wonderful restaurants at Disney are still available. The more upscale resorts are really nice but the costs start adding up quick. Your call based on personal preferences and budget. Definitely get the meal plan.

Try to avoid going to the parks over holiday weekends and other prime times, the wait for rides can be outrageous. I tried to hit the parks on weekdays, usually got there very early, came back to the hotel around 3PM to rest / swim and then went back out around 7PM and stayed till last call. On the weekends, we went to the space center, Cocoa Beach, etc.

Regarding the space center, put some time before hand into deciding what you want to see. I haven't been there in a few years but they used to offer two tours. The first primarily focused on the shuttle assembly building and launch areas while the second went out the old sites that launched Mercury, Gemini, etc. Those are the ones that I was really interested in but they were never offered the days I was going there. Also, they tend to get booked early, so figure out which one you want to go on and try to reserve in advance.

If the weather is nice, spending a day at Cocoa Beach is a nice way to relax. The beach is beautiful and you can see all the launch towers at Kennedy / Cape Canaveral Air Force Station off in the distance. Very scenic, plus the water is usually very warm and there is nice surf.

If you get a rental car, check out the B-52D on display near the airport (ex-McCoy AFB). Can't tell you how to get there but you should be able to google it or just navigate on your own. With regard to MCO, it is one of the nicest airports in the US. Plenty off windows to check out the airplanes, never overly congested and has that modern, disney-ish look to it.

If you are up for a longer ride, head west to Tampa and check out Busch Gardens. It's a 2 hour + drive but (IMHO) worth it.

Hope you and your family enjoy the trip!

John

Edited by 11bee

My wife and I go several times a year. Best time we ever had was recently when we stayed at a resort. Nothing beats not having to drive into and out of the parks. When you are dead tired from walking all day, the last thing you want to do is get in the car and drive an hour to kissimmee. The resorts are wonderful for days off too.

Cheers and enjoy our beautiful Central Florida.

Ilive outside Orlando and once every few years we go to Disney. My wife, bieng retired military, (I'm not but that's a long story), we stay on park property at Shades Of Green, a military run hotel. We'll be there sometime this year and for the nationals. Staying on property makes it easier as if you wear out, as my wife is prone to do, we can return to the hotel so she can rest a while and then go back in.

The name escapes me, but there was an excellent aviation museum near KSC. Mostly US Navy aviation, most displays were in a hanger, you could walk right up to the aircraft which were in perfect condition. Outside, there was a MiG-21 and F-8 undergoing restoration and again, walk right up to both. Def worth checking out.