P-51D aka F-6D Dragon 1/32

Some nice work going on here. Dry-brushing is perfect.

If I may make a suggestion on your build.....your chipping is a little too strong. You may want to use a smaller brush.

Nice work.

Oliver

Thank you Oliver.

That's a huge compliment coming from a true master.

I will absolutely use a smaller brush in future.

As Tourist mentioned, the fuel cell is rubber so I'm in the process of repainting it, so that will eliminate at least some of the excess chips.

Thanks again Oliver, I look forward to seeing more tips as your huey progresses.

Cheers

Keith

This is the part that I heard was a problem. When I dry-fitted the cockpit floor into the fuselage, I did indeed discover it was far too narrow. I had some Evergreeen styrene shapes lying around from a failed scratch build, so I tried it an lo and beholed it was just the right width. The probelm was that if I glued it flush to the top of the floor, the cockpit wouldn't key into the location lugs properly so I just thought I'd live with it being visible from the top and tell people it's airframe "structure". This is how it first looked:

71.jpg

73.jpg

Another view of the main gear well and the start of the fuselage:

72.jpg

I've started repainting the fuel bladder as Tourist suggested earlier. More to come.

Cheers

Keith

Repainted the fuel bladder with Chaos Black:

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

Then followed a coat of darkened brown 2XChaos Black and 4XScorched Brown. Washed with Badab Black and drybrushed with straight Scorched Brown.

In the pictures I'm not sure if it looks like rubber but it looks better on the workbench. Must be the lighting. Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

86.jpg

Cheers

Keith

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow ARCers.

I've been away for awhile but I'm back home and ready to get back to the project when I can.

As you may have noticed in last the photo above. I accidentally broke the control stick off.

I found a piece of piano wire that is just the right diameter, so I started the repair.

As soon as I have some more progress, I'll post some pictures. In the meantime, if you haven't seen Oliver's spectacular Huey, do yourself a favour and go over to the Helicopters thread and treat yourself to some masterful modelling.

See you soon.

Cheers

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Holmes!!

I did a minor repair to the control stick, but I just have to photograph it now. Replaced the kit stick (which I broke off) with a piece of guitar string.

Cheers

Zoomer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holmes, F4DPhantomII, Shawn & David,

Thanks so much for the kind words. The project is on hold at this time. I've started a new aviation consulting business(I should also post this in the "HELICOPTERS" forum LOL)so...I've been SO busy I've had zero time or energy to put into the Mustang. But fear not, I DO plan on working this long Thanksgiving weekend on her, so I will have at least a few photos to post.

I thank you all for your most kind comments. I have a couple of new projects in my mind that I hope I can do even better than the F-6D. Stay tuned!

Cheers

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Holmes, F4DPhantomII, Shawn & David,

Thanks so much for the kind words. The project is on hold at this time. I've started a new aviation consulting business(I should also post this in the "HELICOPTERS" forum LOL)so...I've been SO busy I've had zero time or energy to put into the Mustang. But fear not, I DO plan on working this long Thanksgiving weekend on her, so I will have at least a few photos to post.

I thank you all for your most kind comments. I have a couple of new projects in my mind that I hope I can do even better than the F-6D. Stay tuned!

Cheers

Keith

I will eagerly await the next instalment!

Thanks all.

Unfortunately I didn't have the time I thought I would over the turkey weekend. The heliport business that I've started with my associate has taken off (no pun intended) so I'm spending a LOT of time at the hangar. I would love to get this thing finished before Christmas. Merry Christmas to me, I wish. I did manage to repair the control stick, so I'll get a photo and post it either tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers fellow ARCers.

Keith

: ZOOMER

Nice to see you back with updates{ of sorts !}good to know that the Helcopter bisiness has taken off .Impressed by that ..WELL DONE :worship: :worship:

What you have done has been incredible so far and I ma sure ohnce you get back to it then it will be a stunner..

Looking forawrd to the other projects too.. :yahoo:

See you later

HOLMES :wave: