Hello there!

I want to modify some scale drawings so I can print 'em out in 1/48 scale. The drawing's format is GIF image and I have AutoCAD 2010 version, but I not yet familiar with this program, instead I'm pretty sure I could follow a clear set of instructions to do it.

If there is someone familiar with this design program and is willing to take some time explaining how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Emil

Paste the image into model space (I'm not sure if a gif will work, never tried that format before myself). By default the aspect ratio will be locked. Unlock it by right clicking on the image and select properties, scroll down and select no for aspect ratio locked. Whilst in properties set the x-y dimensions to the correct image size. Escape from properties right click on the image and use the scale tool to convert the image so that the drawing is 1:1 i.e. full size in model space. It is best to do this by picking a point on the model and typing in a percentage in the command line, so you will need a known dimension on the drawing that can be measured in model space in order to re-scale it. Once the drawing is full size you can select a layout tab and open up a viewport, then set your scale. You can pre-set scales in the options dialogue, type op in the command line and hit enter. Select user preferences/edit scale list/add.

If this is all clear as mud, post up again and I'll try to clarify.

peebeep

Just remember that a GIF file is a raster image and AutoCAD is a vector editing program. You will need to trace your modifications over the GIF image which will add all sorts of scaling and dimension inaccuracy issues.

I have tried many times doing this and have never had much success at it.

If Hawkins only wants to plot in another scale it shouldn't be a problem. If I wanted to edit the drawing I would copy the whole lot in vectors (a pain!) and delete the raster file. You can get software to convert a bitmap into vectors, but the results have never been much cop in my experience.

peebeep

If Hawkins only wants to plot in another scale it shouldn't be a problem. If I wanted to edit the drawing I would copy the whole lot in vectors (a pain!) and delete the raster file. You can get software to convert a bitmap into vectors, but the results have never been much cop in my experience.

peebeep

Yes, my experience also.

Thank you for such fast replies!

Gents, I tried what Peebeep suggested, but I do not have such options under properties as aspect ratio locked or not, nor x-y dimension setting.

All the steps I took: paste image into model space, select image, right click, select properties but no such options.

Am I doing something wrong?

Again, thank you!

Emil

Thank you for such fast replies!

Gents, I tried what Peebeep suggested, but I do not have such options under properties as aspect ratio locked or not, nor x-y dimension setting.

All the steps I took: paste image into model space, select image, right click, select properties but no such options.

Am I doing something wrong?

Again, thank you!

Emil

Which version of Autocad are you using?

And I echo what Madmike and Peebeep have said regarding raster images in Autocad.

Which version of Autocad are you using?

And I echo what Madmike and Peebeep have said regarding raster images in Autocad.

I have Autocad 2010 ( this one: http://www.jtbworld.com/autocad2010.htm ).

I used IMG2CAD to convert GIF image, but my computer rebooted twice when trying to work with the converted files.

Do you, or anyone else know of a converter that works better in this case?

Also, is it possible to work on a new layer, on top of the raster image and basically, copy the image in Autocad? I'm just thinking out loud here, but I reckon it'd be easier to modify a new drawing created, if what I said is doable.

Since the drawing I have is in scale, the proportions are kept and just 'blow' the new drawing to the desired dimensions?????? Not sure how much of this make sense, it's just the way I see it as long as the program allows you to do all this!

Edited by Hawkins

You can trace the inserted/attached image easily enough but do not expect any dimensional accuracies. Create a trace layer and ensure the image is sent to background using the draworder command. This will ensure your tracework can be seen.

I have Autocad 2010 ( this one: http://www.jtbworld.com/autocad2010.htm ).

I used IMG2CAD to convert GIF image, but my computer rebooted twice when trying to work with the converted files.

Do you, or anyone else know of a converter that works better in this case?

Also, is it possible to work on a new layer, on top of the raster image and basically, copy the image in Autocad? I'm just thinking out loud here, but I reckon it'd be easier to modify a new drawing created, if what I said is doable.

Since the drawing I have is in scale, the proportions are kept and just 'blow' the new drawing to the desired dimensions?????? Not sure how much of this make sense, it's just the way I see it as long as the program allows you to do all this!

Autodesk has a product called RasterDesign, that works on top of Autocad and *can* allow you to change raster objects to vector objects, depending on the file format. However, doing the conversion, whatever the software, is prone to inaccuracy.

I don't have Autocad 2010, so I would like to see a screen shot of the properties dialogue. I'd be amazed if they have changed the properties editing to that extent.

The problem with trace copying raster files is that line thicknesses on a bitmap within model space give rise to considerable inaccuracy, you're better off scaling the raster.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep
Hello there!

I want to modify some scale drawings so I can print 'em out in 1/48 scale. The drawing's format is GIF image and I have AutoCAD 2010 version, but I not yet familiar with this program, instead I'm pretty sure I could follow a clear set of instructions to do it.

If there is someone familiar with this design program and is willing to take some time explaining how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Emil

Hi Hawkins,

Pretty much as stated in the PeeBeep's initial post.

Unless you intend to trace the image, or as I like to do, mark out for camouflage masks, you can avoid my tracing routine which is to set some layers.

Insert in the Classic toolbar is a drop down which will let you chose what to import.

Import Raster Image.

Find your image location, select, Place the image at the default point, mine usually go in at 0,0

A prompt will come up for scale. I usually select 100. Press enter, zoom extents.

You should have a plan of your subject.

Select either the Dimension Tool or make a Distance query. Measure out length, height and width of the image on the plan.

You'll have a good calculator handy. A scalebar on the image is always a good starting point. So divide the real size of the subject by the dimension you have just measured. That will be the current scale. Typically, mine usually come out at 100~19000 of the real thing.

Scale tool, pick your image, press enter, You will get a prompt, input the ratio you calculated. Press enter.

Repeat for finer adjustments until you are completely disillusioned by the lack of fidelity old hand drawn plans render.

Go to Paper Space, The tabs will take you there, they have numbers and you can add them for different scales.

You will see a picture of the Image you have just left behind in a window. Click on the frame of that window and find its scale. If you are able through Properties, input the scale you require. 1/48, 1:350 whatever. You will then lose sight of the whole image.

Now you need to do a Page Setup Manager routine. Set a printer, (CutePDF is a good one because all formats are available without the usual song'n'dance which does occur.)If you're outputting to A3 or Folio Landscape, Portrait etc, pick that. You will now need to resize the Viewport Window to fit the output size.

Double click in the window to open up the model space and Zoom Extents. Everything should be visible now. Return to Paper Space and re-do the scale. Right click in the Viewport and click on Yes the Lock Window option. Now click on the Viewport and using the handles, frame the part of most interest. Move it around and copy for other views.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

126402779.jpg

You're in good hands here. Best wishes.

G

It is POSSIBLE to get fairly accurate line trace drawings off of .gif files if you have enough of the right information and the patience to tweak your drawings once you've traced them. One of the keys I've found that works for me is to NOT blow up the original .gif image so much to where your line weights are too thick and uneven. I find if you scale it up to where the line thickness appears for the most part to be of a uniform thickness and then just trace your autocad lines as close to the middle of the edges then you should be pretty close to the shape. Then once you have the overall gif traced, scale up the autocad lines to full size. When you get it to that state, just work around the drawing with whatever known dimensions you have and adjust the line work accordingly. It won't be perfect but it can be pretty darn close. Obviously the higher resolution you start with the better, but I've seen some pretty cruddy looking raster .gif images converted to pretty accurate line drawings.

Bill

Edited by niart17

The WA Department of Planning and Infrastructure did that a few years back with cadastre throughout Perth metro. The minimum error was 400mm and I did see a 1m error. Thankfully more up to date cadastre information is far more accurate, but in those days, you did not rely on digitised reserve/lot boundary ACAD drawings.

The WA Department of Planning and Infrastructure did that a few years back with cadastre throughout Perth metro. The minimum error was 400mm and I did see a 1m error. Thankfully more up to date cadastre information is far more accurate, but in those days, you did not rely on digitised reserve/lot boundary ACAD drawings.

Hence the need for accurate numbers as well. :thumbsup:

The better your beginning image the better your out come. I did some acad tracings of the shuttle plans off of NASA's site (which thankfully had a grid on them) and I was able to get some fairly accurate cad drawings. Not perfect mind you, but good enough for me.

Bill

There'll be the same degree of error in Hawkin's model, but he's dealing with an aeroplane, not an engineered landscape.

I think all of us agree there will be some degree of inaccuracy inherent in the scan to raster, insert to vector program. However, i have yet to measure a scanned plan of an aircraft, by anyone which matches views. My belief is; printers 'make' things fit their page.

But most famous plan makers sell diagrams which differ in length, height and wingspan between elevations and plan, all on the one beautifully illuminated sheet. Sad to say, my wallet is the best judge of that.

For modelling purposes, what we have described is amply sufficient for making a rescribing plan or plotting a colour scheme. It's now up to us to coach our tyro to success, not confuse him with matters beyond the smell of poly glue.

G