old Monogram A-10 Warthog 1/72

Okay please be gentle with me. After lurking around here for a while i have decided to start my own post with my first model in a while. I have been painting transformers and Gijoes for a while now and have been thinking about getting back into model airplanes. I'm starting with a model i probably built many times when i was a teenager. I bought this one off Ebay for about five dollars and figured it would be a good start to get back into the hobby. After seeing the work that the people on this site do it is a little scary posting pics of my work on here. I only hope that with time i can hone my skills to be somewhat close to the level on here.

Well after opening the box i inspected everything to make sure all the parts were there. After seeing that they where I gave the kit a quick wash with dawn dish soap and let it dry overnight. I then started work on the cockpit giving it a coat of Dark gull gray and flat black on the panels. I dry brushed light gray over the dials and buttons. I gave the screens a coat of silver followed by clear green. Put some yellow and red details and called it a day. The seat is also dark gull gray with dark green seat belts and olive drab seat pads. I painted the buckles light gray and put some yellow details on the seat. I used light gray on the buckles because i can never get metal paints to look right at that small of scale. I think the pit turned out okay for what i was given with the kit.

1.jpg

6.gif

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by jezones

Good start. From an accuracy standpoint, from what I've heard, that's a pretty good kit to work with. In fact, the last time I was at my parent's house, I saw that kit mixed in with my brothers old model stash. Amongst all his car models was that kit, 2 Revell F-16s and a Hasegawa Tomcat. He stopped modeling years ago, to actually focus on his Transformers and other toys collection. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask if I can buy those kits off of him.

Looks like you're off to a good start! Keep up the good work.
Good start. From an accuracy standpoint, from what I've heard, that's a pretty good kit to work with. In fact, the last time I was at my parent's house, I saw that kit mixed in with my brothers old model stash. Amongst all his car models was that kit, 2 Revell F-16s and a Hasegawa Tomcat. He stopped modeling years ago, to actually focus on his Transformers and other toys collection. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask if I can buy those kits off of him.

thanks for the kind words, was able to get the cockpit and front wheel well installed. i added some wieghts to the nose and joined the two halves together. it went together pretty well for the most part. I do see a few spots where i'll need to add some putty, mostly on the bottom of the jet.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

well i was able to get the wings on yesterday. I let them set over night and after pulling the tape off i noticed huge gaps where the wings meet the fuselage. i did some sanding on the fuselage and then added some putty in places and the wing gaps. All the wings seem to sit nice and level with each other. I think that was one thing i always seemed to mess up when i was a kid. I'll let it sit over night before doing some more sanding. Thanks for stopping by.

mark

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Hi jezones, welcome back to the hobby and welcome aboard ARC.

That's a fine start you've made on your Hog.

It's nice to see someone taking such a thorough approach. This bodes well for the future ;)

Thanks for sharing your build. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Cheers,

:(

oh my goodness! Thanks for posting this thread.

This a kit I built back when I was (still am?) rubbish and a child when doing models.

I remember adding some Hasegawa 1/72 weapons and stuff to it too.

Ah memories.

Anyways.. nice start and keep pluggin. :)

thanks for the kind words

i was able to work on the Hog a lot this weekend. Still in the middle of winter so i really don't have much to do on weekends. Got most of the little parts on, pylons, gun and other odds and ends. I did some more filling in gaps and sanding. The engines where put together and needed a lot of putty to fill in gaps and rough edges, probably got carried away with the putty. I'm sure to have fun sanding on those. as always thanks for stopping by, feel free to critique anything you see.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

well ive been working on the A-10 for the last week or so. I finished sanding (aparently not enough), and did a prime coat and preshaded all the lines. That was really a waste of time but it was good practice with the air brush. I put down two coats of each color of the camo and now i will let the paint dry for a few days. Thanks for stopping by.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Edited by jezones

Well I managed to get about 5 coats of futura on the hog. I used the decals that came with the kit, the mouth was the hardest to get to lay down. It took quite a few coats of micro set and mircro sol to get it down, its not perfect but i happy with it. Now i think i'll add some weathering and then Flat coat it. I think the camo came out pretty good for my second try at it. Its all a learning process right? Again thanks for stopping by comments welcome.

Mark

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Yeah it was free hand, I sprayed the medium green, then euro 1 green then euro 1 gray, then back to euro 1 green and medium green. I kept the paint a little thicker to avoid the over spray. Takes longer to paint but I seem to be able to control it better. Came out pretty good, I would have loved to have an airbrush when I was younger. Wonder if my wife new what she started when she bought me the airbrush for Christmas? I think I'll spray the landing gear and the weapons today

Realy sharp looking A-10! ;) I was able to complete my kit as I was missing parts for the cockpit. Meanwhile did the weapons set I posted that here in the forum as well. My set was terrible the GBU I left as is, and worked on the bombs using miliput sand them to shape and paint the Humbroll 155 and gloss yellow humbrol 33

Edited by Eric2020

Well the Hog is finished. Can't say i'm happy with every thing put overall im satisfied with how it turned out. The engines gave me the hardest time. I learned a lot from this one and hopefully will keep improving as I choose the next model to do. Comments good and bad are welcome.

Thanks

Mark

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Well I like it. When I was a kid I loved the A10 in this lizard scheme. I remember building a Dragon one in 1/144 and a hasegawa one in 1/72. Those kits a long gone but this reminds me of them.

Putty is not the easiest stuff to work with, it will fill in gaps and steps but one can obliterate detail when sanding the stuff. You might want to try some tamiya laquer thinner or acetone next time. It has the effect of smoothing out the putty and you do less sanding (sometimes no sanding!). Milliput is another option - a little more expensive and can be a little fussy to work with but you can smooth it all out with tap water.

Anyhow - keep it up. I hope we see more.

I can see that you used other weaponry than in the box :P . I intent to use mine as I painted it already. The engines are indeed not easy to get done. I am still thinking to have them open or closed.

But overall your A-10 looks very nice as the cammo is done freehand and colours are very close.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...