My first WIP. Update 7/26/2013. PROJECT FINISHED!!!

Hi there! I,m back again. Beleive it or not this project is not dead...

After some time spent on some other things and a lot of procrastination I am now firmly commited to finish this project. So here is the JA-37 again.

The paint of the ejection seat was pending. This is the MaestroModels resin seat. I removed the casted belts and replaced them for PE ones from the Eduard/Maestro photo etched set. In my opinion PE belts are rather more appropiate than the original in resin.

SAM_6314_zps179cbfcd.jpg

Also added was the ejection handlle from PE and the oxigen hose that was built from scratch, and since it had to be done I painted the five seat for the entire project:

SAM_6294_zps369bb672.jpg

This is the control stick. The upper black portion was made from modified leftovers from F-4 kits, while the rest of it was scratched. It is not 100% accurate but it will do the part for this scale.

SAM_6296_zpsc2880c3f.jpg

Five of them:

SAM_6295_zps25d67ce2.jpg

Also, painted was the canopy. I added some resemblance of the interior frame made from thin foil from a wine capsule and attached some details.

SAM_6298_zpsf54215af.jpg

SAM_6299_zps6244a5db.jpg

Some more details were added to the undercarriage legs, both from PE and from scratch. The undercarriage of this aircraft is a real complex issue and I have put lot of time and effort to depict it as realistic as possible. In fact every leg/wheel set consist of more than twenty single pieces including resin, plastic, photo etched and scratchbuilt elements...

SAM_6303_zpse2d2dccf.jpg

The doors of the undercarriage legs was installed as was some weapons and the auxiliarly fuel tank.

SAM_6304_zps03198b4b.jpg

SAM_6305_zps525a9176.jpg

And this is the upperfuselage position light. It was made from CA glue and Tamiya clear red mixed and carefully applied on its place before setting.

SAM_6310_zpsd4b7ee60.jpg

That,s all for now. I will be installing the rest of the weapons and last minute parts this night. Then some minor touch up on the paint of the wheel wells, the RAT vane door and hopefully will be able to post some pictures of the finished bird this weekend!

As always, comments and suggestions will be welcome.

Cheers.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hi friends, many thanks for your interest! Laz, you are rigth with your words. I have now the mojo again. in fact I,m working on the kit in this moment, so I hope to have it finished in short.

stay tunned

RGDS

Juan.

Hi there! Finally it,s done! Here are some few pics of the final aditions.

The ejection seat and control stick were installed on the cockpit. Also was glued the canopy sills made from PE:

SAM_6316_zpsd1e6473f.jpg

The entire load of AA missiles was attached. Four AIM-120 and two AIM-9:

SAM_6321_zps4e2c177b.jpg

The blade antenna on the rear fusalagge:

SAM_6319_zps1f270e9c.jpg

A thiny pitot made from a section of an acupuncture needle:

SAM_6318_zps4262b0a9.jpg

The ram air turbine together with the door:

SAM_6322_zps88ac9a06.jpg

And finally here is a pic of the finished kit:

SAM_6326_zps5cff6c85.jpg

I will be posting some more pics tomorrow on the critique corner.

RGDS

Juan

Hi Juan,

that is very nicely done... :jaw-dropping:

I have one in my stash, we will see how it will turn out,at this moment I am not dare enough to open the box (plus I've made my promise for myself that I will not start any new building until I do not finish the in-progress ones).

If the level of the building will be half of yours I will be happy with the result.

Regards,Laz

Hi there. Many thanks Laz for your support. I hope you can gather the courage to start your kit in the near future. Would like to see your currently started kits, too

As promised, here is the link to my post on the critique corner:

JA-37Di Jaktviggen.

Hope you like it!

Now, the SF-37 is waiting for me...

RGDS

Juan

Hello Juan,

maybe...but I don't really know...after your spectacular build it would be a shame to show something scrapy... :rolleyes:

One thing is sure: I will use your build as a reference.

I cannot wait to see the progress on the other A/C. :thumbsup:

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Laz! Sorry for the delay, but I didn,t noticed your post. I have been working on the SF this last days, wich has give me more troubles than expected (again), but now is almost on it,s wheels. I will try to post an update this evening. Stay tunned and thanks for your interest:

Juan

Hi again! As promised here is a little update to show how I am doing with the SF-37.

The kit was all painted and glosscoated, ready to be decaled, if you remember...

SAM_5707.jpg

Decals are from the Syhart Decals range and they are ALPS type, so you need to aply a coat of Microscale decal film or similar before using them. And here started my headache with them. I applied the decal film by airbrush, but unwittingly I exceeded with the coat so the decals were slightly thick and rigid, so having them bending around some shapes, like on the vertical tail was a really nightmare...But that was my fault, I know. You can see the ugly effect on the wolf,s head on this pic:

SAM_6403_zpsbeedc47b.jpg

Anyhow, there were all the decals:

SAM_6402_zpse04560fc.jpg

Second trouble, with the decals: the coloured decals are provided on two different sheets, one white and the second with the coloured details. The letters and ribbons on the fuselage are provided on an incorrect orange colour and they should be red. I considered the option of printing a new decals sheet for that characteres, but having no acces to a good printer I opted for the following masochist solution:

SAM_6404_zps63f4d0b8.jpg

SAM_6405_zps370721e1.jpg

SAM_6406_zpsf2149346.jpg

A nightmare... In all the final result was satisfactory on this particular aspect. I have no more pics to show by now, sorry, but I promisse that I will show the result this next week and hope to have the bird finished.

Criticisms are welcome.

RGDS

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

:jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping:

for the repair job.

For me, it looks OK.

It will be perfect when all of your Viggens will make an elephant walk on your workbench...

Keep it coming.

Regards,Laz

:jaw-dropping:/> :jaw-dropping:/> :jaw-dropping:/>

for the repair job.

For me, it looks OK.

It will be perfect when all of your Viggens will make an elephant walk on your workbench...

Keep it coming.

Regards,Laz

many thanks, Laz for your words. I must say that from some distance the result with the decals is not entirely bad, but if you look close to the kit the film is very evident...

I,m too quite ansious to have all the Viggens finished on my bench. it will be a good sight...

Have a nice weekend all!

RGDS

Juan

Hi again! That, done now! I have managed to finally finish the SF-37. Some pics of the last steps on it.

Here you can see how the issue with the decals was solved.

SAM_6453_zps06a50f83.jpg

SAM_6450_zps4f17b53c.jpg

As seen the film of the decals is very evident from short distance, altought if you look from further away the appearance is acceptable. Here a pic with tha aircraft on its wheels finally:

SAM_6449_zps43d28b12.jpg

Now for the final details and aditions to the kit:

A couple of recce pods from the MaetroModels range were painted and assembled. The decals were sourced from spares.

SAM_6454_zps7f2f49c1.jpg

SAM_6455_zpsb4472e3e.jpg

And a pair of training Sidewinder rounds:

SAM_6459_zpsb97eb062.jpg

If you remember I had casted some FOD covers in resin for this project. They were painted and detailed with thin aluminium foil. The V and H letters were made form strip decals. I still have to add some RBF tags on its swedish version (black and yellow) hanging from them. Here I shown a couple of them ready to be instaled at the end of the building:

SAM_6410_zps8ce583ad.jpg

Here a pic with a winder, a recce pod and the underbelly tank installed:

SAM_0789_zpse9be62ba.jpg

The left side recce pod and the RAT on place:

SAM_0791_zpsf2e52d5a.jpg

some minor detials, like antennas and the navigation light were added to the upper spine:

SAM_0794_zpsca9f97d4.jpg

and finally the finished bird!

SAM_0797_zps45eaf337.jpg

I will be posting more pictures on the Criteque Corner on few minutes.

As always, opinions and criticisms are welcome.

RGDs

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi again! Many thanks everybody for your interest and thanks Laz for your kind comments.

More Viggens are needed on this forum, so here is a new update to this project. I still have the two splinter Viggens pending to be finished, the SK-37 and the AJ-37 and I will use some inspiration from excellent Aigore´s WIP on the painting stage when the time comes. Both kits was almost ready to be painted, but some work was still necessary:

SAM_6467_zps63410e6b.jpg

I added the pitot tubes to both, made from metallic needles:

SAM_6468_zpsce49ce78.jpg

if you remember, time ago the fin of the AJ version was cutted away to produce a master to display the said tail on its characterictic folded position.

SAM_4004.jpg

So here is the fuselage rebuilt with the resin part of the set produced by MaestroModels:

SAM_6470_zps950d951e.jpg

SAM_6469_zps15b160cc.jpg

It has been primed with Mr Sufacer to show the details to good effect. And here is the new tail, also rebuilt. The lower part is the resin conversion, while the upper is the original plastic.

SAM_6471_zps5a8db616.jpg

Its lower face was primed too as seen here:

SAM_6473_zpsd187cb12.jpg

Then I painted the inner structure of the tail on Alclad white aluminium:

SAM_6474_zps6b3126bd.jpg

SAM_6478_zpse03a886b.jpg

Then, I masked the lateral walls of the strcuture that remains fixed to the fuselage and painted the "floor" of it on Humbrol steel. The difference is not very evident on the pics but on the real thing it is very obvious.

SAM_6484_zps9bcf44c9.jpg

Now I have to do some detail painting and attach a piece of plastic that I was forced to cut just forward of the fin (that rectangular hole that acn be seen on the photos) to be able to introduce the resin part on my yet assemble kit. I will post more pics when this is done.

Meanwhile, I would like to hear your oppinions and suggestions...

RGDS

Juan

Hello Juan,

can't wait to see them finished.

The folding on the tail looks impressive.

I need to order my set from Eduard to start a Viggen...very inspiring.

Keep the pictures coming.

Regards,Laz

Many thanks, Janne and Laz for your interest!

Hello Juan,

can't wait to see them finished.

The folding on the tail looks impressive.

I need to order my set from Eduard to start a Viggen...very inspiring.

Keep the pictures coming.

Regards,Laz

Laz, I really encourage you to give this kit a try. A Viggen on your own display shelf is a very nice vision...

Cheers

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Thanks again for your interest everybody. Well, now that Aigore has cleared this forum with the finishing of his Viggen and will not shadow my thread, I will proceed with a new update. :P/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/> (Just kidding, Janne)

With the main metallic colours aplied to the fin fold interior I detail painted it:

SAM_6497_zpsb000ffaf.jpg

SAM_6498_zps52107c63.jpg

I used several metallic colurs on it, altought it is not very noticeable on the photos. The same was done for the inner structure of the fin:

SAM_6499_zps3a0350e5.jpg

I also applied a light was of black to highlight the details.

If you remember, the main gear bays on the AJ-37 were more detailed than on the other kits. So time to detail paint them:

SAM_6485_zps27eb92d2.jpg

SAM_6486_zps6edb5078.jpg

SAM_6496_zps9242080f.jpg

With the bays painted and clear coated, I proceeded to install the final details on the cockpits, like the HUDs made from clear stirene:

SAM_6501_zpsbfa02236.jpg

And attached the front windshield:

SAM_6500_zpse076071c.jpg

Some other parts were installed, like the underfuselage pylons on the AJ version:

SAM_6503_zpsd0b35874.jpg

The SK-37 will not use those pylons, so I scratchbuild the tiny hanging points were they attach to the fuselage and that are barely visibles on the real aircrafts. Thay are those tiny pieces of stirene strip with a hole crilled visibles on this pic:

SAM_6502_zps8f508626.jpg

And that,s all for now. Both kits are now masked as necesary and primed, ready to be painted. No pics by the moment, sorry. I hope to be able to start with the real fun of the painting process this night and will be psoting the next week.

Opinions are welcome, as always.

Juan

Hello Juan,

I like the fin fold,well done.

I am still collecting the stuff for the Viggen, I already have the followings:

- the Heller kit itself

- Eduard PE

- Maestro seat

- Dr Pepper resin exhaust

- Dr Pepper resin intake

I have a strong feeling that sooner or later I will start. :rolleyes:

Regards,Laz

Many thanks, Laz and Janne. your words are very welcome!

Hello Juan,

I like the fin fold,well done.

I am still collecting the stuff for the Viggen, I already have the followings:

- the Heller kit itself

- Eduard PE

- Maestro seat

- Dr Pepper resin exhaust

- Dr Pepper resin intake

I have a strong feeling that sooner or later I will start. :rolleyes:/>/>

Regards,Laz

Sweet work Juan :D/>/>

Neat that you remembered the attachment points!

@Laz

You ned a RAT as well :D/>/>

Laz, you are almost there with that collection of goodies for the Viggen, but you still are needing what maybe the most important aftermarket for this build: a good decal sheet.

RGDS.

Juan