Lookin for something.......

The only somewhat correct-ish F-16XL is the old 1/144th LS kit, unfortunately (also reboxed by ARII, Airfix and Heller - they're all the same mold). All other kits are woefully inaccurate.

A good reference to correct these inaccuracies, should you be so inclined, is an old IPMS F-16XL article on Habu2's site - it's offline, but thanks to the Internet Archive: here it is.

HTH,

Andre

Hey J, that is a great pic, but what is the chase plane that you took that picture from? I can see the wing in the foreground, the wing looks swept, but clearly not a Phantom as the chase plane in the background.

Actually it was a NKC-135E 55-3135, which was at the time the Edwards instrumented tanker test support a/c. She had 50-odd optically flat quartz windows in her right side (some of which have been plated over by the time of this photo), leftover from her days in project TRAP in the 1960s. The XL photo was taken from the window just ahead of the aft emergency exit. The whole main deck was totally empty (except for me, peeing my pants). This was taken after I'd come up on deck, having shot a bunch of her from the refuelling pod position. Peeing my pants, I tell ya! :thumbsup:

04%2036%20NKC-135E%2055-3135%20412TW%20right%20side%20take-off%20l.jpg

Edited by Jennings
What pugs/plugs? I described changes in my gallery. What can I add?

I just re-read that article. The fuselage plugs (for the stretched fuselage) were already included in the mold, but that caused the UC bays to be in the wrong place, which you modified correctly. Just a little confusion on my side. Everything is fine!

Edited by Lancer512
Music to my ears! The single prettiest airplane ever made on God's green earth as far as I'm concerned :)

Well, the only example I curently have in my stash is the less-than-elegant (but all the more fascinating for it!) AMtech EC-135N Snoopy... :rofl:

Then again, I've been eying the Italeri and Heller reboxes of their KC-135's for a while now... and I, like any sane person, would love to do a Cobra Ball.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre
...that caused the UC bays to be in the wrong place, which you modified correctly.

Some details about correcting the kit:

f16xl1.jpg

An early stage of project. Cockpit insert is Italeri part. Vertical fin not glued in. You may see heavy sanding around cockpit and cut across spine - it was made to make 3-deg upward cant possible. The rear part of cockpit insert (and surrounding area) was later covered with many layers of Gunze Mr. Dissolved Putty to achieve more accurate shape of fuselage.

f16xl2.jpg

The main intake in Monogram kit was way too long and main landing gear bay was located too far aft. I sliced lower part of fuselage and intake, moved parts to correct positions, filled, sanded, filled, sanded... I bought Surfacer 500 spray can especially for that model. It is very useful for massive surface corrections. On the photo you may also see the totally incorrect "slats or leading edge flaps" (which don't exist on the real thing) and stores slots filled with cyanoacrylate glue and not sanded yet.

The method rav is using is much simpler than what I did. I took 2 Hasegawa D model Vipers, cut them up so as to have the proper fuselage length when spliced together, then I spliced them together, and glued the wings from the Monogram kit (which I had previously amputated) to the whole mess. I don't think I got the upsweep of the tail, but as I was going for the general shape of the thing, and it was a What if, I didn't really worry too much about it.