F-86E(M) Sabre, Airfix 1/72

Hi!

This is my first try documenting building process. Kit is Airfix, I will use Eduard and Part PE.

Sabre01.jpg

Starting with cockpit and here's first problem:

SabreCockpit01.jpg

Cockpit tub sidewalls seem much too high, so I cut them and rebuild.

SabreCockpit03.jpg

SabreCockpit02.jpg

That's all for today, there will be more during weekend.

Any comments are welcome!

This I'm gonna follow close! Please say that you're gonna do the Italian version, there's enough Huff's out there...

No Huff, dragon's fin color is wrong anyway. But it won't be Italian, it will be Yugoslav, their chaser!

It's a long, looong way...

I continued my work on Sabre cockpit.

I built throttle quadrant, using Part PE. It's made of six tiny parts, I just love Part PE... ;)

SabreThrotlePE1.jpg

I prepared bang seat for painting (minus harnesses), using Part and Eduard PE:

SabreSeat01.jpg

Rear armor plate was added next, couple of aligment checks were needed and side consoles PE added:

SabreCockpitPE1.jpg

Few more bits like rudder pedals and cocpit tub is ready for painting.

Commemts are welcome.

I recently got this kit too so I'll be watching closely. What PE set are you using for this? Exceptional work so far.

Thanks! But it's still a long way to go, and a road is bumpy...

I am combining Part S72171 - F-87F Sabre (yellow) and Eduard SS139 (grey) PE sets.

Edited by frenk
  • 2 weeks later...

Some minor progress on my Sabre. Some vents and intakes on fuselage are missing, so I opened them. I also scribed few acces hatches, which are missing on the kit.

SabreTruppopravi-1.jpg

Paneli2.jpg

Paneli1.jpg

Paneli3.jpg

I also removed poor and inaccurate interior in airbrakes wells. I plan to leave them opened, so some scratchbuilding will be neccessary.

Edited by frenk

Today I manged to scratchbuild rear end of canopy.

Pokrovkabinezadaj1x.jpg

Pokrovkabinezadaj2x.jpg

Pokrovkabinezadaj3x.jpg

I used Eduard PE, stretched spue, plasticard and wire. It looks better than original, but photos revealed some mishaps... Under black colourcoat it won't be that obvious. I think so...

Thanks for your kind words, Deon.

I am returning to modelling after a couple years. I found spirit to deal with tiny details, even some scratchbuilding...

Yesterday i found new Pavla releases in Modelimex newletter. They released resin cockpit set and beautiful wheels set, which I ordered imidiately. They are far superior to kit items, judging by the photo.

Some progress on my Sabre:

I made plate with canopy railings. It will cover hole behind ejection seat.

KabinaZadnjidel-1.jpg

Trial fit with canopy brace:

Kabinazadnjidelpokrov.jpg

I scratchbuilt new speed brakes, using 0,3mm plasticard and sheet aluminium from can:

Pokrovzavor2.jpg

Pokrovzavor1.jpg

Airfix made indentical port and starboard bay. After studying pictures of Yugoslav Sabres, I decided to modify them, using plasticard, stretched sprue, sheet aluminium and striped electrical wire:

Zavore3.jpg

Here is the comparison with original item:

Port bay

Trupzzavlevo.jpg

And starboard one

Trupzzavdesno.jpg

I also made new actuating cylinders, using 0,9mm and 0,6mm syringes:

Zavorecilindri.jpg

Edited by frenk

Can someone help me with intake colour of RAF Sabres? Every Sabre finished here have FOD covers. :crying2:

Second question is about interior fuselage colour in the area around exhaust nozzle. I've seen interior green of some preserved machines. Is this the right colour or should I do it natural metal?

Nice work with those added details. So how do you like this new Airfix Sabre kit so far and what do you think about the fit?

In the box we get nicely engineered kit, which go together really good. What I really miss is details. Cockpit should be better altough instrument panel decal is nice. Sabre has big bubble canopy and canopy brace could be and should be done better. Same goes for the wheels.

Panel lines are nice and crisp, but some panels around central fuselage should be there, especially air exhausts on both sides. I can't understand why they are missed from the kit.

Generally I am pleased with this kit, but Airfix could do it better...

By the way, I have both new Airfix Spitfire Mk.IX and Mk.I. Mk.IX is actually without details, and Mk.I is beautifully detailed. They are completely different kits! Maybe I should wait for rerelease...

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress after a long time.

Rear fuselage around exhaust nozzle need thining. Left part of fuselage is original, right one is thinned on this picture:

Repprej.jpg

I also made the last fuselage frame from plasticard, which is prominent on pictures of the original. It still needs some sanding.

Reppotem.jpg

Main wheel wells are bland, so they need little modification. Pictures of wheel wells are hard to find. Main doors are closed on most walkaround pictures. I deepened the part where wheel leg is stowed and added ribs at the bottom, made from aluminium sheet. Actuating cylinders for wheel legs are missing, they will be added after painting. I also deepened holes in the middle, there are nasty ejector pin marks there. Luckily Part offer PE for this modification. Plastic is paper thin after sanding, but fuselage will cover the damage done after surgery. Various wires simulate door locks and hydraulic piping.

Podvozje2.jpg

Podvozje1.jpg

Podvozje0.jpg

Looking good, frenk. How does the exhaust can look? Is it any deeper than the one in the Fujimi kit?

Exhaust can could be better. But it's very small in diameter, it wll be O.K., I guess. I'll post some pictures in a couple of days, I plan to paint it soon. I've never seen Fujimi kit before, so I can't compare them.

Edited by frenk