Canada investigates mass sled dog slaughter

This story just blows my mind, how can someone be so cruel? And this guy has the nerve to try and collect for Post Traumatic Stress! I would love to be in the same room with this guy right now and give him his treatment!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CN...;show_article=1

Police are investigating the slaughter of 100 husky dogs used during the 2010 Winter Olympics to pull tourist sleds in the Canadian ski resort of Whistler, authorities said Monday.

The grisly killings were reportedly carried out by one worker over two days in April 2010 with a shotgun and a knife, with reports of injured dogs crawling out of a mass grave.

Local media said the dogs were killed because business slumped in the two months following the Games and they were no longer needed by tourism companies Outdoor Adventures and Howling Dogs, which sell dog-sled rides to tourists.

"We've opened a police file and assigned an investigator," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Staff Sergeant Steve LeClair told AFP.

The case came to light on Monday after the unnamed worker claimed post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of killing the dogs, and was reportedly awarded compensation from British Columbia worker's board.

Marcie Moriarty of the Society for Prevention of Animal Cruelty, the lead agency in the investigation, told the Vancouver Sun, "The way he describes (in the board's report) multiple shots and faces blown off and coming back on a second day is gruesome."

"The way this employee describes it, it's a massacre absolutely, a criminal code offence. These dogs were killed in front of the other dogs that were all tethered up."

The man's personal injury lawyer Cory Steinberg told news radio station CKNW, "It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill. Inevitably he ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

A spokeswoman for the law firm refused to comment on the criminal investigation and Outdoor Adventures did not return repeated calls from AFP.

The company's website, with photos of huskies and sleds, however, continues to advertise a dog sled ride for CAN$169 per person, "as a once in a lifetime experience (with) your team of energetic and loveable Alaskan Racing Huskies."

The maximum penalty in Canada for injuring or endangering an animal is five years in jail, while animal cruelty is punishable by a fine and 18 months in jail.

Robert

Lets see, maxium penalty is five years in jail. Well, multiply that by 100 dogs and that means 500 years. Seems like a fitting sentence to me. Pretty bad that somebody would carry this out, let alone somebody authorizing it. I mean sled dog Huskies aren't exactly pets, but surely there had to have been some alternative they didn't consider (such as donating or selling the huskies to other sled dog users).

Sick.

Lets see, maxium penalty is five years in jail. Well, multiply that by 100 dogs and that means 500 years. Seems like a fitting sentence to me. Pretty bad that somebody would carry this out, let alone somebody authorizing it. I mean sled dog Huskies aren't exactly pets, but surely there had to have been some alternative they didn't consider (such as donating or selling the huskies to other sled dog users).

Sick.

the only problem is that in Canada, sentences are carried out concurrently, not consecutively. So 100X5 year sentences is still 5 years in prison. You add on the 2 for 1 time spent in jail before and during his trial..he may see 12 months in jail if found guilty.

Sean

the only problem is that in Canada, sentences are carried out concurrently, not consecutively. So 100X5 year sentences is still 5 years in prison. You add on the 2 for 1 time spent in jail before and during his trial..he may see 12 months in jail if found guilty.

Sean

no more 2 fer one time served in Canada, one for one now.

But yes.

The moron who did this should be put in a mental institution, and his boss should be forced to eat substandard dog-food for the rest of his life.

Disgusting and horrible

CHeers

H.

no more 2 fer one time served in Canada, one for one now.

But yes.

The moron who did this should be put in a mental institution, and his boss should be forced to eat substandard dog-food for the rest of his life.

Disgusting and horrible

CHeers

H.

hmm..I hadn't heard they got rid of the 2 for 1. either way..the most he can be in prison is still 5 years..unless they can find something else to charge him with.

Sean

Disgusting beyond words. If they absolutely must get rid of the dogs, they need to find a humane way to euthanize them besides shooting them. This jerk needs to spend a bunch of time in jail ALONG WITH HIS SUPERVISORS. Part of their sentence should be spending at least 8 hours a day providing care to animals in animal hospitals, veteranarian centers, etc.

Darwin

I'm ******, where is my bat, I'm going to Canada.

Get in line, us Canucks are going to have a go at him with hockey sticks!!! EH!!

It is a shame that he will probably get a LOT less than he deserves for this and to get compensation for what he did?????? There's another part of namby pamby Gov'ts getting all hung up over his new emotional problems, give me a break!!

The best solution is 100 guys and/or gals each with a hockey stick, 1 person for each of the poor dogs.

I have a few questions:

Why are the supervisors who authorized this not being charged?

What is the mental capacity of the fellow involved?

Bingo, my thoughts exactly.

Seems to me we're missing some important people while everybody is all lining up with bats and hockey sticks.

Whoever called the shots and ordered this atrocity needs to answer for this as well.

And let us remember "I was just following orders" is what the Nazis all claimed at Nuremburg, and it didn't save them either. This guy needs to be locked up for a very long time, and anybody who had knowledge or authority in this situation needs to get locked up with him. He can think about the dogs while he's rotting in jail.

First, let me say that it reassures me that after nearly 30 years as a practicing trial attorney (yes, I'm one of those evil creatures our oh, so virtuous politicians warn you about), that I can still find myself shocked and appalled. Yes, the man who did the killing needs to be tied to a tree and flogged with barbed wire. But, the true culprits in this are the men who wound him up and sent him out to do the deed, never hearing a whimper of pain, or seeing a spot of blood themselves, caring only for the bottom line, the income from rentals vs. the cost of keeping the dogs.

As I write this I look over at my faithful 4 year old Lab, blissfully snoring on her bed. The people who directed that this be done are at least as guilty as the killer himself and should be punished at least as severely - more so if possible. The deed and the man who did it are despicable enough, but the crimes of the "business people" who directed this monstrosity is compounded by their hypocrisy. They benefited from those dogs while they lived and when the dogs were of no further use, and became a perceived burden, they simply disposed of them by sending a lackey to do what they themselves would never dream of personally doing. Despicable!

Bob

First, let me say that it reassures me that after nearly 30 years as a practicing trial attorney (yes, I'm one of those evil creatures our oh, so virtuous politicians warn you about), that I can still find myself shocked and appalled. Yes, the man who did the killing needs to be tied to a tree and flogged with barbed wire. But, the true culprits in this are the men who wound him up and sent him out to do the deed, never hearing a whimper of pain, or seeing a spot of blood themselves, caring only for the bottom line, the income from rentals vs. the cost of keeping the dogs.

As I write this I look over at my faithful 4 year old Lab, blissfully snoring on her bed. The people who directed that this be done are at least as guilty as the killer himself and should be punished at least as severely - more so if possible. The deed and the man who did it are despicable enough, but the crimes of the "business people" who directed this monstrosity is compounded by their hypocrisy. They benefited from those dogs while they lived and when the dogs were of no further use, and became a perceived burden, they simply disposed of them by sending a lackey to do what they themselves would never dream of personally doing. Despicable!

Bob

I agree. But I'm with FlyboyF18. I'm going to Canada and show him AND the people that gave him the orders how much damage a baseball bat is against someones skull. What gives anyone the right to murder those dogs!! This makes me sick beyond belief. He'll know what Post Traumatic Stress Disoerder is.

Sorry bout that. I just can't stand to see animals killed or tortured. It's inhumane and it's just sad. I just hope that he and the people that ordered the killings are brought to justice.

I was sickened by this story when I first heard it on the news.

How irresponsible and greedy of the management/owners of Outdoor adventures to bring in 300 dogs to pull sleds during the Olympics. The projected business didn't happen so they claim they were forced to cull the dogs.

Did they not think about this prior to bringing in this many dogs? What was there plan once the Olympics and winter was over?

Even though the guy who actually pulled the trigger and sent these beautiful dogs to a terrible and inhumane death says he was told to do it by his employer.

Does he not have common sense to realize this is wrong and say no? Report the company instead of committing a crime!

This was nothing more than a rich greedy ^%#$&*^ trying to make money off of these innocent animals and got in over his head.

I hope they get what is coming to them.

Interesting enough, the public here in Vancouver and Whistler are ****** about this and making several calls to the police, SPCA, and Outdoor Adventures demanding justice!

Before you go to viral on this guy one part of the story has been left out. Twice he went to the Humane Society asking for help and telling them that he'd been told to get rid of the dogs. They told him that they wouldn't take the sled dogs off his hands because they couldn't be adopted out and that this was his problem, solve it. They then suddenly dumbed up and couldn't really remember anything else that they might have told him.

While I don't condone what he does it appears he was between a rock and a hard place, told by his boss to get rid of the dogs because the company couldn't afford to keep them but given no help or advice by the very groups who exist to protect animals.

rob

OK he went to the Humane Society and was turned away, how about the Police? The Local Community? The Radio station & newspapers? if one creates enough of a stink something will happen!! Maybe he wasn't savvy enough to think of these options but I am sure if public opinion had been sought before the killings they could have been avoided!

Sorry but this sort of thing makes my blood boil, didn't think this thru far enough, then the animals suffer????? And yes I hope ALL involved get what they deserve!!! Unfortunately the penalties associated with animal cruelty are not enough to deter some of the morons that get their hands on these animals.

There that's my $00.06 worth as a responsible pet caregiver!!!

Before you go to viral on this guy one part of the story has been left out. Twice he went to the Humane Society asking for help and telling them that he'd been told to get rid of the dogs. They told him that they wouldn't take the sled dogs off his hands because they couldn't be adopted out and that this was his problem, solve it. They then suddenly dumbed up and couldn't really remember anything else that they might have told him.

While I don't condone what he does it appears he was between a rock and a hard place, told by his boss to get rid of the dogs because the company couldn't afford to keep them but given no help or advice by the very groups who exist to protect animals.

rob

I'd believe that.

Anytime I ever needed help from animal control or humane services when I was living in Canada, they were the most useless, braindead group you could ever not want to deal with.

As for the perpetrator himself, I still have no pity. Unless he was mentally a simpleton who could be easily manipulated (which would make a sick situation even sicker if it was true); you just can't make an excuse for this without insulting the public's intelligence at large.

I'd really like a piece of the idiot at the worker's board who granted compansation to the killer for "PTSD" They should have given him aresounding "No!" and had him arrested for trying to defraud the worker's comp system.

"How irresponsible and greedy of the management/owners of Outdoor adventures to bring in 300 dogs to pull sleds during the Olympics. The projected business didn't happen so they claim they were forced to cull the dogs.

Did they not think about this prior to bringing in this many dogs? What was there plan once the Olympics and winter was over?"

Simple case of short term profits and hang the consequences I suspect. The management/owners of Outdoor Adventures and Howling Dogs saw a chance to make a quick buck and took it. I would even suggest the sickening prospect that this may have been contemplated as the ultimate outcome all along. Simply the "cost of doing business". It doesn't take a Harvard M.B.A. to figure out that after the Olympics are over tourists are not going to stampede to Whistler to ride in dog sleds.

This is nothing more than a callous desire to reap a quick buck, then walk away and leave somebody else to clean up the mess. Any one of a countless number of examples of corporate greed and unscrupulous conduct. The only way to stop it is to work back up the food chain and hold those who sat behind their desks in their corner offices and issued to orders equally responsible with those who did the dirty deed. And, I'm not talking about a fine and probation. Till you send these people to jail this kind of thing, and far worse, will continue to happen regularly.

Don't get me wrong, I am a practicing capitalist and have nothing against making money. But, there is a responsible way to make a buck and those who don't feel compelled to act responsibly have to be coerced by the real and present threat of punishment. Until you put the white collar criminals at the top of the food chain in hand cuffs, make the do the "perp walk" and put them in a cell with their worst nightmare, this will continue.

IMHO

Bob

I have a few questions:

What is the mental capacity of the fellow involved?

That is a very good question?. I just wouldn't have had the heart to do it. Killing them because they had no work or use for them.....UH UH man that's just wrong everyone involved should get to see the jail cells from the inside with the doors locked!!!

Edited by Angels49