External Difference: Gr.7 to Gr.9

External differences between the two versions.

Basically

Aircraft with the 100% LERX - none

Arcraft with the 65% LERX - they have the 'frog eye inlets' above the wing

There is another very minor difference (to do with antenna) that I can't remember now

Actually, doesn't it have more to do with the differences in the engine and avionics than the LERX?

GR.9's have a more powerful engine than the GR.7's

I think the 65% LERX was mainly on GR.7's and the 100% was found predominately on GR.9's (but I've heard some say that there were GR.9's flying around with 65%)

Also, weren't the "frogeyes" introduced on aircraft with the 100% LERX because the new LERX covered the original fire access holes? (which was usually on the GR.9)

I have also heard one of the main difference between the two is the GR.9 was wired for Sniper and the GR.7 was not...

I'm sure someone will correct any of this info, it just seems that it has never been an easy answer...

Regards

John

Actually, doesn't it have more to do with the differences in the engine and avionics than the LERX?

I think the 65% LERX was mainly on GR.7's and the 100% was found predominately on GR.9's (but I've heard some say that there were GR.9's flying around with 65%)

Also, weren't the "frogeyes" introduced on aircraft with the 100% LERX because the new LERX covered the original fire access holes? (which was usually on the GR.9)

I have also heard one of the main difference between the two is the GR.9 was wired for Sniper and the GR.7 was not...

I'm sure someone will correct any of this info, it just seems that it has never been an easy answer...

Regards

John

The GR9 has are 2 additional air scoops behind the LERX.The Sniper pod was introduced to the GR9 because the existing TIALD pod was not up to the job down in Afghanistan.That's basically it.

raf-harrier-gr9-low-level.jpg

2003_019-1.jpg

2003_034-1.jpg

Thanks to P.M for the photo's.

Edited by spike7451

A bit more complex than that unfortunately. Don't forget that the 9 was an upgarded 7, not a new build. The GR7 and GR9 had the same engine. The more powerful engine was in the GR7a and subsequently GR9a.

... it just seems that it has never been an easy answer...

Regards

John

Amen to that!

I worked at Cottesmore when the GR7's were being slowly replaced with GR9's. I must confess to not spotting the new scoops, but what was noticeable was the paint scheme seemed to be a lighter grey. The GR7's seemed to be nearer a US gunship grey whereas the newer GR9's seemed to be coming back into the fleet in a lighter shade. (of course this might just be ALL harriers coming back from deep maintenance). In addition the GR9s had a little "GR9" insignia on tail.

the tail numbers (in white) were the clue as to whether the bigger engine was fitted. So a number ending in an "A" signified either a GR7A or a GR9A. I believe the engineer's call this "fleets within fleets". If you wish to model a Harrier as was in Afghanistan then it should be a GR7A or GR9A. Ideally a Navy Strike Wing Harrier, operating from the ship would also have the bigger engine (esp in warmer climates).

Link to nice phots of GR9s (notice "paler" grey, "GR9" logo on tail and the "A" on some tail numbers) GR9. Here's a Fleet Air Arm (Senior Service!!) GR7A - note darker shade of grey, no scoops etc. NSW GR7A

All academic now of course courtesy of a Strategic Defence Review (in English = cuts!). I see there is one up for sale on EBAY! EBAY Harrier

Edited by FIGHTS ON

OK so basically the additional 2 scoops.

I have the revell 144 kit, Gr.7 Harrier. The scoops are molded. And as you know they have AV-8B+ as well.

So I have to remove those scoops to make it a Gr.7, and ignore it to be a Gr.9.

BTW, I have read a thread before about Harrier load out. Is it true that the pylon/station aligned to the wing LGs should not be loaded w/ any air-to-air missiles? They say it will burn/damage the wheel when fired.

Edited by snickers
BTW, I have read a thread before about Harrier load out. Is it true that the pylon/station aligned to the wing LGs should not be loaded w/ any air-to-air missiles? They say it will burn/damage the wheel when fired.

I don't think that is true. I've seen pictures of GR7s carrying AIM-9Ls on those stations throughout their career, both operationally and in training.