What to see and do near Gatwick or Crawley, UK?

I'm heading off to Gatwick for a couple of weeks of training on behalf of my employer (yup, it's aviation related :pray: ). Going to stay in Crawley, Sussex most of the time.

Any ideas what there may be to see and do in the area? Model shops, camera stores, museums or points of interest?

Since I haven't been in the UK for a while, I'm keen to hear any hint on good pubs or restaurants too :)

Cheers! ;)

Per

You could always drop in on the Gatwick Aviation Museum :unsure: . http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

You might have to make an appointment but I'm sure they'll oblige if you make a nice donation!

Have yourself a day out on the coast, the train goes direct to Brighton 30 minutes away.

Other than that I'd say go up to London for Modelzone at Holborn, RAF Museum and Hannants shop near Colindale tube, Imperial War Museum in Lambeth. Also don't forget that the Science Museum has some rare aircraft up in their Flight Gallery and they have a Dan Dare exhibition looking at the future that could have been! :blink:

I think you should set aside a day - say, eight hours - to look round Crawley. Then when you've done Crawley you'll still have seven hours and fifty minutes to spare. I'm sure no-one who lives there will mind if I describe the place as an armpit. And you have to spend two weeks there?

The best nearby model shop is Dorking Models - from Crawley, if you're on public transport, take the train to Redhill and change, then get off at Dorking West. Dorking is also a nice little town and that railway line (all the way to Guidlford) is one of the most attractive in the land, even at this time of year. Another good shop is Southern Model Centre in Worthing, although it's biased towards R/C. And the Model Box in Uckfield is worth a look. Both are accessible by train (though Uckfield is a bit of a faff). If your stay includes 19/20 March, it will be worth coming up to London and taking the District Line out to Hornchurch for Southern Expo, which is one of the biggest model shows in the south-east and well worth the trip.

The coast at this time year is a bit bleak and the Channel looks like what it is - a muddy ditch. But just inland is the South Downs, and for my money you can't beat a look round Lewes, which is in a gap in the hills and also very handy by train. From Crawley you have to go back up to Three Bridges and change, although if you're already at the eastern side of the town you can miss out that first bit. I also like Ditchling and Keymer, for which you can get off the train at Hassocks. Another point of interest is Shoreham, which has some peculiar stuff at the "airport". And, actually, just going for a walk along the lanes is recreation enough on its own, especially if you run into one of the local pubs.

Pubs: most of the ones I know are worth a look but getting to them can be tricky if you've no car. Off the top of my head: the Surrey Hills in Newdigate (very good real ale); the Crown in Westcott; the King's Arms in Dorking; the Dolphin in Betchworth; the Royal Oak in Brockham (one of the loveliest village greens there is); the Skimmington Castle on Reigate Heath; the Ship in Handcross. That last one is also handy for Nymans Garden, which (if you like that sort of thing) should have a good display of early spring flowers. Though they may be delayed by the big freeze we had in December. I will say one thing for Crawley: the Indian restaurants aren't bad, and the Taj Mahal is one of the best.

What dates are you coming over?

Edited by pigsty

Thanks for the hints guys!

pigsty: Your're the third or fourth to say that 'Taj Mahal' is worth checking out. Believe me, I will! :(

I'm dropping in this Sunday evening and staying until next Friday. That's a long time to spend in such a place, but I'm going to be busy taking classes at Gatwick most of the time.

Still, I've got a full weekend of. Thought I might take the opportunity to check out South England as I've been to London lot's of times already (going back again this spring for more training with another customer of ours). Perhaps not the perfect time of year, but I will definetly try checking out the South Downs.

However, since the majority of my companions are female 20+ year olds I strongly doubt that London can be entirely avoided... ;)

Good to see that the best way to kick off a thread on ARC is still to mention beer or women :crying2:

Got to stay professional..... No seriously, not that I don't enjoy female company, but 8 hours of shopping on Oxford Street isn't my way of spending a weekend.

Let them go to London. Just tell me where and when and I'll be there..!

Vince

Sure, mate :crying2: Just beware that most of them are Irish.

Per

have a safe good trip and BEWARE of Fraud which has been quite prevalent In CRAWLEY

DO NOT DISCARD your credit/debit card receipts anywwhere as there has been a

a lot of scams using stolen credit card details....{TIMESHARE }

Watch your cards and have fun...

Enjoy the Aviation museum etc

HOLMES :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warning Holmes.

I'm aware that there have been a lot of cradit card frauds in the UK, especially with internet vendors (including Hannant's) so I'm extremely careful with my cards when travelling, trying to use cash whenever possible. But I'll forward your warning to my colleagues and classmates.

And of course, I will enjoy all museums, pubs, curry restaurants... ;)