F-15E Chaff/flare colors?

Hey guys

Quick one......what colors are these on the strike eagle? I'm masking them for painting, and I had thought they were a light blue and yellow, but I'm not finding many pics to confirm this. Does anyone know or have a good shot?

I'd appreciate any help!

Brett

Here's a couple of shots that I have. Neither are the greatest, and you may have to save them to your computer and then zoom in to see them very well, but they both show different colors of chaff/flares. If you look at the first pic, it appears to have green, yellow and red flares in it. I think most times they are white for chaff, and red for flares though. Also remember that the flares can not go behind the targeting pod, as they'd hit and damage the pod upon ejection.

My Modern Eagle Guide is in the spare room, and the kids are down from a nap. I'll check when they get up and see if I can get you a more concrete answer.

Aaron

081211-F-7823A-331.jpg

080527-F-2828D-234.jpg

Edited by strikeeagle801

Yeah, I do too.

Brett-

I'm planning on cheating and putting on decals from the Afterburner weapons stencil sheet when I get there on mine. Don't know if you have the sheets or not, but it might be a good idea for you too. The bomb sheet also comes with decals for Shawn's GBU-31 that I gave you.

Aaron

Yeah, I do too.

Brett-

I'm planning on cheating and putting on decals from the Afterburner weapons stencil sheet when I get there on mine. Don't know if you have the sheets or not, but it might be a good idea for you too. The bomb sheet also comes with decals for Shawn's GBU-31 that I gave you.

Aaron

I thought about decals as well. I actually have the Afterburner bomb sheet, planning on using it for the GBU.

I think that I'll go with white, red and green.....since that's a nice color set. I'll just leave the port side plated off. Does that sound right?

I thought about decals as well. I actually have the Afterburner bomb sheet, planning on using it for the GBU.

I think that I'll go with white, red and green.....since that's a nice color set. I'll just leave the port side plated off. Does that sound right?

If you are going into a "low threat" environment, you'd be fine blanking the port side off and doing a mix of chaff/flares on the stbd, but it would be more common with the loadout you are carrying (I would think) to have them both filled...Probably all flare in one side and all chaff in the other. I looked in my Modern Eagle Guide, and it does not show them filled, but my Modern Hog Guide does, and they are red for flares and white for chaff. This is the way they are colored on both the Viper and missile/pod stencil sets from Afterburner as well.

Aaron

I'm just the FE, but I know the flare buckets aren't always red. Here's a shot I took about 2 1/2 years ago over in the desert of our plane. Those are all flares, albeit covered in engine oil here! (We blew an oil seal on the #3 engine while taxiing out, and had to shut down. What a mess!)

Mark

043-1.jpg

I'm just the FE, but I know the flare buckets aren't always red. Here's a shot I took about 2 1/2 years ago over in the desert of our plane. Those are all flares, albeit covered in engine oil here! (We blew an oil seal on the #3 engine while taxiing out, and had to shut down. What a mess!)

Mark

043-1.jpg

Never knew the C-130 had flare buckets under the wings. It is that a standard fit or something special?

I know the Army uses a mix of flares with different thermal properties to spoof the more modern IR guided SAMs. Those flares are different colors, maybe that explains the variations in your picture?

John

Never knew the C-130 had flare buckets under the wings. It is that a standard fit or something special?

That's standard. As far as the types, and purpose I am sure that's classified, so this isn't the forum for discussing that.

Mark

John

She's a Hottie.........

You've never seen this?????

That's standard. As far as the types, and purpose I am sure that's classified, so this isn't the forum for discussing that.

Mark

For the record, I obtained that bit of info on the flares from this forum. Regardless, I see your point. Thanks for the confirmation on the locations of those dispensers.

John

• 3 weeks later...

The pics above are the standard colors for the caps that are seen. But the AMMO guys sometimes spray paint differant colors on both chaff and flare for differant LOTs so it is visiable once the mods are stuffed with it. So colors can range from yellow to brown depending on the spray can choosen. But most of the time this is done at home stations and not in the AOR (combat zones) but I have seen it.

Mark

Curt