I am hoping the last launch is delayed. The last launch is June 28th and I fly to Florida on June 29th. So I am hoping to witness history! I think the odds are on my side, I don't think they ever launch on the exact date.

I have seen a landing but not a launch.

I am hoping the last launch is delayed. The last launch is June 28th and I fly to Florida on June 29th. So I am hoping to witness history! I think the odds are on my side, I don't think they ever launch on the exact date.

I have seen a landing but not a launch.

You may witness history, BUT, it may not be the final launch. NASA is now exploring the feasibility to keep Atlantis and Endeavor around until 2017 possibly running two missions a year.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/NA...-115185834.html

As a side note, based on a few articles I've read recently, I'm not convinced that NASA really has a clear plan to replace the shuttles heavy lift capability. Personally, I think the best replacement for the shuttles are more new build shuttles. Why redesign the wheel, the shuttles work.

Personally, I think the best replacement for the shuttles are more new build shuttles. Why redesign the wheel, the shuttles work.

The Shuttle is the single most expensive and inefficient (not to mention dangerous) way to get anything into orbit, period. True, it can do things other vehicles can't, but the cost-benefit ratio is VERY low on the shuttle. That's why the Russians are still using essentially 50 year old Soyuz technology to get people and things to orbit. It's cheap, it's efficient, it's cost effective, and it works. You can't say any of those things about the Shuttle.

Interestingly, one of the members of the Rogers Commission (Challenger investigation) was Joseph Sutter, retired Boeing Senior VP, father of the 747, and my ex-wife's uncle. Uncle Joe said after being on the commission, even with the changes implemented that they recommended, there's no WAY he'd ever step foot on a Space Shuttle! This guy owns the patents on the 727 high lift devices, the 737 engine mount design, and other things, and has been in the aviation business his entire life. I pretty well trust his opinion :jaw-dropping:

J

Edited by Jennings

The proposal to keep Atlantis and Endeavour flying is NOT from NASA, but rather it is from United Space Alliance (USA) who is the prime contractor on shuttle in Florida to NASA. They've been making similar proposals for the past two years and none has come to anything. Personally, after STS-135 flies, I don't believe shuttles will ever fly again since some of the sub-contractors no longer make some of the supplies needed to keep the craft flying and replacements would have to be re-certified for use (which takes time and money). My own feeling that once we've not had shuttle for a few years, eventually that will give somebody the impetus to design a better system for hauling cargo to and from orbit. While hauling astronauts into orbit is expensive, shuttle makes a great on orbit pickup truck and portable work site for items in low earth orbit.