I've never seen a car model that looked close to real!

Sorry car guys, but I see all these cars in model magazines and they all look, well, OK, but nothing close to what we airplane dudes can achieve with plastic kits. Am I full of it or misinformed? Show me one that's even close to the real deal! <_<

Edited by chuck540z3

For the thousands in attendance and the millions watching around the world, "LLLLLLLLLLLLets get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmble!" Stop picking on the car modelers and get back to the Phab Phantom of yours. LOL.

Tom

Edited by Tom
For the thousands in attendance and the millions watching around the world, "LLLLLLLLLLLLets get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmble!" Stop picking on the car modelers and get back to the Phab Phantom of yours. LOL.

Tom

Hey, I'm bored and I just read FSM Magazine with a feature on a Shelby Mustang GT350 build. It sort of looks like a Mustang, but it could just as easily be a Gemlin! At scale, the hood is about 1" thick. <_<

Edited by chuck540z3

I have never seen a model aircraft, car or any other that really looked real to me but I have seen some great builds. Here are a couple links you should check out. These are two cars that look pretty spectacular.

Novitec Rosso Ferrari 599 Gtb. Be sure to look at the in progress thread linked in this thread.

http://z12.invisionfree.com/ScaleModelsMal...?showtopic=7668

Nismo Fairlady Z

http://z12.invisionfree.com/ScaleModelsMal...?showtopic=7106

I have never seen a model aircraft, car or any other that really looked real to me but I have seen some great builds. Here are a couple links you should check out. These are two cars that look pretty spectacular.

Novitec Rosso Ferrari 599 Gtb. Be sure to look at the in progress thread linked in this thread.

Nismo Fairlady Z

Not bad, not bad. The 599 actually looks like a car, so I take it back. The Nissan? A red jelly bean with a 1/4" of paint. <_<

Sorry car guys, but I see all these cars in model magazines and they all look, well, OK, but nothing close to what we airplane dudes can achieve with plastic kits. Am I full of it or misinformed? Show me one that's even close to the real deal! <_<

Chuck, I hate to break this to ya, but the ship guys over at modelwarships.com say the same same thing thing about us. LOL

Bob

Nismo Fairlady Z

Those are amazing models, but :

http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_c...84&Itemid=1

<_<

A lot of the art in the car model is lost in pictures. The depth of the paint can be fantastic when done right but sometimes it does not translate well in pictures.

I went to a model car contest - insane how these guys could make plastic look like metal. A lot of thin coats, polishing, more paint, polishing, clear coats, polishing...

Actually, I was one or many who drooled over that build months ago on October 25th, 2010:

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/forum/vie...f=10&t=3251

I totally concur! (and it's not a car)

Sorry car guys, but I see all these cars in model magazines and they all look, well, OK, but nothing close to what we airplane dudes can achieve with plastic kits. Am I full of it or misinformed? Show me one that's even close to the real deal! :thumbsup:

Don't be throwing stones dude. It is afterall a hobby and something we derive enjoyment from. I've been members of car model clubs, ones that dedicate most of their times to planes and ones that dedicate their work to space and SF subjects. All things considered, as modelers we are more alike than different. So I really don't get this "plane guys build better than car guys" crap. It is all ego stroking BS no matter what way you cut it. Just remember there is likely somebody out there that builds models better than you anyway (and no, it is not me).

And yes, I have seen car models that look like something which could drive off. Best one I can recall was from over a decade ago (might be closer to 20 years ago) when a modeler modified a 1/16 Camaro into the Penske Sunoco Camaro that Mark Donahue drove to much success in the old Trans Am series of the late 1960s. The modeler went so far as to heavily modify the body, laser etch the proper tread into the tires and do an additional number of things that made this machine look as close to real as it could get. Photograph it in the proper environment and it would be hard pressed to tell it from the real one. It took the model car championships the year it was entered.

More recently, I recall a model of Herbie the Love Bug that appeared on the cover of an issue of Tamiya Modeling Magazine about six months ago. The modeler went above and beyond, doing what he had to in order to turn a Tamiya Bug kit into Herbie, right down to printing the proper fabric weave pattern on the cloth top onto a decal and applying it to the part. He also shot pictures of the car in front of a realistic background and it looked real enough.

Sorry car guys, but I see all these cars in model magazines and they all look, well, OK, but nothing close to what we airplane dudes can achieve with plastic kits. Am I full of it or misinformed? Show me one that's even close to the real deal! :P

Maybe the car modelers, ship modelers, boat modelers ...MAYBE ..say the same about the AIRCRAFT Modelers too because they have no interest in what WE do..

So when they see what the non car etc modelers build, they think it is NOTHING like the REAL thing..as you do about their work.... :yahoo::tease:

WORKS both ways !!!! :D

HOLMES{ I have MY tin hat on !!} :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES
Hey, I'm bored and I just read FSM Magazine with a feature on a Shelby Mustang GT350 build. It sort of looks like a Mustang, but it could just as easily be a Gemlin! At scale, the hood is about 1" thick. :thumbsup:

What about the panel lines on all of our aircraft models?

I know my Dad would have been fired from McDonnell Douglas if he tried to pass off those canyons for a real panel's tolerance ...

It's all a matter of perspective ...

Gregg

Cheers Wege, though i rekon any realism in those pics of my Porsche are down to my crappy photo taking ability, rather than any modelling ability :monkeydance:

I agree with Holmes, in that ultimately this is an AIRCRAFT modelling site, so any car models shown are going to be (as far as im concerned) built for fun and stress relief. If WE want to build a serious model, WE build aircraft, and of course it's Vice Versa when it comes to Car modelling forums etc.

Denzil

<...>

<...>

Think this one only needs a couple of pics with a more convincing background and it'll look like the real deal. :banana:

And apart from being a gorgeous build, wow, a Ferrari that's actually beautiful! :woot.gif:

I've seen some auto models where the engine compartment is as detailed as one of G. Wilsons' cockpits all the way down to the wiring on the coil, battery, dist. cap, and starter!!!. Some of those guys are as nvtz about detail as we are.

My brother in law builds model cars and the amount of time and effort he puts into getting the bodywork paint right is staggering. Two primer coats rubbed back, minimum 4-5 coats of gloss paint rubbed back between coats, followed by several coats of clear gloss polished back and then waxed.

The depth and lustre of the bodywork paint after that work is pretty amazing to see.

To a car modeller, the finish is the single most important aspect of the hobby. They will use exact matches (often the 1:1 touch-up paint spray cans) in the quest to get that "perfect" finish.

The thing about car models to me that I've always thought was an instant tell it is "just a model" is if they use any form of metal flake paint.

I have rarely ever seen a car model with a metal flake paint job that I thought looked "real". I know as soon as I say that people will post 30 photos that proves me wrong. I always wondered how the ones that do it correctly make it happen. Is it technique or is it the type of paints used?

The flakes in the paints I've seen are huge.

The same principle applies to some special aircraft schemes.

I'm thinking of two models in my stash right now that I'm scared or doing because they have metal flake or pearlescent paint and can't figure our how I'm going to make it look right. The metal flake pieces in the paint are so large that they will look strange on a 1/48 scale model. On a huge model you might be able to pull it off, but not on something like 1/48.

Has anybody ever dealt with this?

My goal in modeling is to build a model that doesn't look like a model. I haven't yet come to that level. I have seen a very few models that are on that level. I believe that level can be achieved but I'm not sure I can reach it.It will take pure dedication :cheers: and research to get there wheather it be A/C,auto,ship or whatever.