I'm back with what is hopefully an easy build. After the big T-33, which turned into more of a challenge than I was bargaining for, I need to do an easier one. I picked Hobbycraft's 1/72 CF-100. It is the Mk 4 boxing, but I discovered inside that it has parts for the Mks 4 and 5. More on that later.

P1090700.jpg

I'll be using decals from this obscure (pun intended) company...

P1090701.jpg

I have made a conscious decision not to go for supreme accuracy. I will be hunting around for a 1/48 CF-100 kit to do a better job. For now, my main goal is seeing how this all goes together, and making something simple. While I build this, I am trying to figure out what to do next... So many subjects!

ALF

This build is (as mentioned above) a bit of a warmup and exploration. I want to make a better one eventually. My patience and skill level usually mean that my first or second attempts at an aircraft type or kit type are mediocre, then I get it mostly right.

In this case, I plan to do something 'similar' to this aircraft (but it will be quite different, as you will see). My father was a Navigator on these jets in the late 1950s here in Bagotville, Quebec. He was on both 413 and 423 squadrons.

photo3600pppmodrec-1.jpg

photo1600pppmodrec-1.jpg

photo2600pppmodrec-1.jpg

photo5modrec-1.jpg

couverturelogbook1mod.jpg

This build started out to be a Mk 5 from 413...

ALF

First impression of the kit: few parts (Phantom made this clear as well in 1/48). Cockpit detail extremely limited. Here are the seats, glued together from two parts:

P1090702.jpg

And did I mention that after 1/32, 1/72 is tiny?! Here is the fuselage mostly together (front portion).

P1090703.jpg

The fit was not that bad, but not perfect. That's when things started to go off the rails...

The Mk 5 wings were seriously warped. I glued them in place mostly horizontal (virtually no dihedral at the wing root), and found that they drooped badly at the tips. Here is a front view of the wing - hard to see the droop in the photo, but it's there.

P1090704.jpg

So after sitting the little beast on its feet, I found that the wingtips drooped way down. I thought of heating and bending the wings, but discarded the idea. Instead, I ripped off the Mk 5 wings, and have since attached the Mk 4 (shorter) wings, and given them some dihedral at the wing roots.

P1090705.jpg

ALF

I had another look at some references, and found that a slight bit of dihedral is correct. Here is one on a pedestal at Bagotville, in the aircraft static display park next to the Museum on base.

P1080468-1.jpg

For the last several days I had attempted to look as I drove past it on the way to work, but with the crazy drivers here in la Belle Province, it could have been fatal to fixate too long on it as I went by. :)

Here it is with the Mk 4 wings installed. I found out, of course, that it was a tail sitter, despite the fishing weight I put in the nose. I'll have to drop another weight into the cockpit before I close up the canopy, and hold it in place with super glue.

P1090706.jpg

P1090707.jpg

ALF

Very nice Alf. Don't forget the de icers in the engine.

Thanks for the reminder. That's what those two little arms are on the intake cones? Even I can scratchbuild those!

ALF

Alf....Since the Mk V wings were just Mk IV wings with extentions can you (depending where the warp is) cut the extensions off your discarded V wings and graft them onto the Mk IV wings you are using to get the V you want?

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. If I recall (without pulling out my copy) virtually all the planes on the decals you are planning to use are Mk Vs.....

Edited by RCAFFAN
Alf....Since the Mk V wings were just Mk IV wings with extentions can you (depending where the warp is) cut the extensions off your discarded V wings and graft them onto the Mk IV wings you are using to get the V you want?

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. If I recall (without pulling out my copy) virtually all the planes on the decals you are planning to use are Mk Vs.....

It could be possible (in fact I thought about doing just that, but got lazy and decided not to), but as I said I am not building this for accuracy, just for fun. I've already glued the rocket pods in place on the wingtips, so it would be a bigger job to graft the wingtip extensions in place. My next CF-100 will be in 1/48 (assuming I can find a kit somewhere...), and I'll get that one more historically accurate.

ALF

Nice to see the "Clunk" get some love. Really brings back memories of growing up in Trenton and building the CF-100. Wish I had one or two still unbuilt now that I have better skills at modelling.

I like that you are doing rocketpods on the wingtips. I have a photo I rescued from RMC's History department of a Clunk firing wingtip rocketpods and thought it looked really cool.

I wish more companies would offer the Canuck. Is this boxing a newly tooled version of the plane or is it a reboxing of the old Hobbycraft we all love?

Denis

Looks good Dan. I had built one of the Mk V's in the '90s. Only one set of wings in the box back then. They were so badly warped, couldn't fix them no matter what I tried. I eventually wrote to Hobbycraft and they sent me a new sprue, it was warped as well, but not as badly.

There is a Mk IV (with extended wings) on gate guard duty at a local park here in Moncton, the snow on the wings has to be close to 2 feet deep at the moment. I didnt know they had a museum at 3 Wing. If Im ever up that way, I'll have to check it out... How the heck did they get a Mig 23 there though?

Looks good Dan. I had built one of the Mk V's in the '90s. Only one set of wings in the box back then. They were so badly warped, couldn't fix them no matter what I tried. I eventually wrote to Hobbycraft and they sent me a new sprue, it was warped as well, but not as badly.

There is a Mk IV (with extended wings) on gate guard duty at a local park here in Moncton, the snow on the wings has to be close to 2 feet deep at the moment. I didnt know they had a museum at 3 Wing. If Im ever up that way, I'll have to check it out... How the heck did they get a Mig 23 there though?

Yes the museum here is nice. Both the Canuck and the Voodoo on display outside have different markings on either side to represent two squadrons. There is also a Pre-CF-18AM with mock weapons load and if the weather is nice people can sit in it.

On the inside there is a nice example of an Orenda engine for the Canuck and Canadair Sabre fans.

IIRC, the Mig was flown over from Poland after the iron curtain came down as a gift to Canada for supporting thier military during the Second World War.

Denis

Yes the museum here is nice. Both the Canuck and the Voodoo on display outside have different markings on either side to represent two squadrons. There is also a Pre-CF-18AM with mock weapons load and if the weather is nice people can sit in it.

On the inside there is a nice example of an Orenda engine for the Canuck and Canadair Sabre fans.

IIRC, the Mig was flown over from Poland after the iron curtain came down as a gift to Canada for supporting thier military during the Second World War.

Denis

Denis

You're on the right track about the MiG 23. It is actually an ex-Czech Republic Flogger. It was given to Canada, and spent a few years parked at the NORAD QRA at the end of Runway 29. Shortly after I retired from the military, I drove past the QRA on the highway and almost ran off the road as I gawked at the sight of a MiG 23 parked here!!!!

The aircraft was gifted as a tribute to cooperation between Canada and (then) Czechoslovakia.

Charlie

The Air Defence Museum has grown to be worth visiting for anyone who is touring this region. Here is their web site:

http://www.bagotvillemuseum.ca/en/index.php

You'll find that the English translation of the Museum web site is extremely well done... :monkeydance:

Even if it was an amateur that did it!

ALF

ALF,

Placing a model on a copier is not the way to do a simultaneous build. Just thought I'd offer that nugget of wisdom. I've never seen that boxing of the kit before. I've got an older boxing of the 1/72 Mark V. I built one of the 1/72 Mark V's previously and used the same sheet you're using. I built the "HG 583" version of 48 Sqn when they were based at Uplands, here in Ottawa. It was a finicky little kit then that required a fair amount of putty and elbow grease. I have another one in the stash as well. I still have most of the sheet left over. Not sure which Sqn I'll represent next.

Keep plugging bud. I look forward to your updates.

Cheers,

Mike

ALF,

Placing a model on a copier is not the way to do a simultaneous build. Just thought I'd offer that nugget of wisdom. I've never seen that boxing of the kit before. I've got an older boxing of the 1/72 Mark V. I built one of the 1/72 Mark V's previously and used the same sheet you're using. I built the "HG 583" version of 48 Sqn when they were based at Uplands, here in Ottawa. It was a finicky little kit then that required a fair amount of putty and elbow grease. I have another one in the stash as well. I still have most of the sheet left over. Not sure which Sqn I'll represent next.

Keep plugging bud. I look forward to your updates.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

:thumbsup: Now where is that jpg of the big bulky computer monitor on the photocopier glass ("how a blonde prints a Word document") when you need it?

I don't like this kit very much. For the life of me I can't remember where I bought it - maybe at the Canadian War Museum in your home town a couple summers ago?

I'm saving my energy for my next build - I'm starting to get keen on doing a 1/48 Classic Airframes CF-5D in Grape colours. This one is coming along slowly - I sprayed some silver rattle can (Tamiya) colour last night, and will likely do the black bits tonight.

ALF

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back, dear reader.

Progress has been really slow on this. Lack of inspriation? Deception with the qualtiy of the kit? Deception with the lack of quality in the building of the kit?

Or maybe just that real life has gotten to be too busy in the last few weeks...

If you chose all of the above, you win the prize!

Here's where I am now. I've started painting and decalling.

I used a rattle can of silver paint. No point in wasting any of my precious Alclad paint on this.

P1090744.jpg

Decals are really nice. They are from the same company as the ones the Phantom used.

Right wing roundel decal started P1090747.jpg

This tail flag decal came with two layers - one red and white, the other with the blue and yellow...

P1090749.jpg

ALF

I'm thinking tonight the Loto Max might be the pot to win. $50 Mil all tax free (and yes I know what I would do with all that money :crying2: ). Last week I became a Freeticketaire :woot.gif:

The model is coming along nice! I have the Astra version of that kit, one day I will attempt it also.

:thumbsup:

Emil

I'm thinking tonight the Loto Max might be the pot to win. $50 Mil all tax free (and yes I know what I would do with all that money :) ). Last week I became a Freeticketaire :woo:

The model is coming along nice! I have the Astra version of that kit, one day I will attempt it also.

:P

Emil

Emil

Thanks for the comments.

So, let's see... If you win Lotto Max, then you're buying the coffee on Tuesday afternoon when I fly through YYZ?

Or will it be too far for you to go, given that if I had just won the lottery I'd be just arriving in Fiji on Tuesday morning!

ALF

Emil

Thanks for the comments.

So, let's see... If you win Lotto Max, then you're buying the coffee on Tuesday afternoon when I fly through YYZ?

Or will it be too far for you to go, given that if I had just won the lottery I'd be just arriving in Fiji on Tuesday morning!

ALF

No If I won the Lottery I'd be buying getting the beer in the Maple Leaf Lounge while I wait for my flight out of YYZ. :)

Text me when you arrive, looks like I'm in meetings all day but I'm sure I can miss some for a cup of Timmies. I remember saving your Itinerary but it is on my wifes laptop I'll have a look to see if it is still there.

:woot.gif:

Emil

OK, so I'm going to call this one done...

Definitely not a show piece, but I did learn a lot about this kit doing it. Hopefully I'll soon have a 1/48 version to build - I promise to do a better job on that one!

P1090797.jpg

P1090795.jpg

ALF