Christina Agulara messed up the National Anthem

it is NO BIG DEAL! Seriously. She has sung the national anthem like a million times before. It was an honest mistake. It happens. I am sure that she is plenty embarrassed, but it is over. done. water under the bridge. oops. This is (in my opinion) not worthy of a national controversy. Joan Rivers as the new Godaddy girl is totally worth of national controversy however.

I didn't watch it, but I'm on the side of those who'd rather not cut her too much slack.

It's a national anthem, not one of her hits. She can play with her own songs and remix them to her heart's content. A national anthem is about tradition.

Whatever the official language(s) of the nation is, that is what the anthem should be sung in, and none other.

Watching Canadian celebrities butcher "Oh Canada" at sports events was also a common thing. I can think of at least two instances where the line "God keep our land glorious and free" was adlibbed over somehow by whoever was singing it.

For all those reasons, I feel artistic license and political correctness should NEVER be allowed to touch a national anthem. ANYONE'S national anthem.

:cheers: Amen to that!

It's obvious that the National Anthem doesn't mean as much to some here as it does to others. I am a US military veteran. As such I've hung my all out for this nation and I take the singing of National Anthem very serious as it represents the what we vets stood and stand for. When someone flubs for whatever reason; that song. It's an affront to me and other vets, almost as if it's saying we gave our all for no good reason. You'll have to forgive me for this, but I take that peresonally!!!.

I flubbed it, for some reason I thought she (Christina Aguilera) came from South America.......that one's on me, as the kids used to say "my bad".

How is it an affront to vets that someone messed up the anthem? I hear this time and time again when the anthem is played differently or messed up and I just don't get it. This is one of the hardest songs for professional singers to sing and often times what you see and hear is a pre-recording. You gotta at least give it to her she tried it live. I've seen her sing it live without a hitch as she has the pipes and the range to match octave.

How is it an affront to vets that someone messed up the anthem? I hear this time and time again when the anthem is played differently or messed up and I just don't get it. This is one of the hardest songs for professional singers to sing and often times what you see and hear is a pre-recording. You gotta at least give it to her she tried it live. I've seen her sing it live without a hitch as she has the pipes and the range to match octave.

I've heard her sing it live at a Pittsburgh Penguins game. I do not like her music in the least, but the girl does have a nice voice.

What strikes me is the bile and self righteousness that this thread has brought out. You would think she screwed it up on purpose. I would venture a guess that doing anything live in front of 40,000,000 viewers would bring on a case of the nerves.

Apparently you aren't a vet or you would "get it".

Terry(US Army, 1964-1968)

I've heard her sing it live at a Pittsburgh Penguins game. I do not like her music in the least, but the girl does have a nice voice.

What strikes me is the bile and self righteousness that this thread has brought out. You would think she screwed it up on purpose. I would venture a guess that doing anything live in front of 40,000,000 viewers would bring on a case of the nerves.

Thats what I have been saying, someone singing what has been called one of the most difficult songs on the planet...in front of millions upon millions of people should be forgiven for a flubbed...messed up...forgotten...brainfarted...lyric.

There was no ill will. Some of you make it seem like she should be crucified for an unforgivable sin.

This conversation honestly should have ended at the title:

"Christina Agulara messed up the National Anthem" thats it. She was said she was sorry. Should she renounce her citizenship to make it better?

I will say that my Grandfather was a Filipino in the American Army during WWII in the Philippines. He became a citizen after the war and loved his adoptive country to no end. He always liked all the different renditions of the anthem that he heard, he would always say sing it loud and proud in the way you want.

I guess maybe I just dont get it. I was never in any of the services. But I think I know myself well enough that I wouldn't get flustered if someone decided to trill the hell out of the anthem. It should be more about the ideals of what this country stands for. Not the symbols themselves like the flag or the anthem.

Edited by camaroz06
This is one of the hardest songs for professional singers to sing and often times what you see and hear is a pre-recording.

I don't necessarily expect professional singers to get every octave dead nuts on but I do expect a "professional singer" to be able to remember the lyrics of whatever he/she is being paid to sing. Doesn't seem to much to ask IMHO.

The time you hear this crap of disrespect the most is when someone does a "soulful" rendition of the song such as Whitney Houston, Marvin Gaye, or that poor teenage girl in Indiana that was in the news a few weeks ago. Yet you hardly hear a whisper when Jim Cornelius, Huey Lewis and the News, or Garth Brooks did it in their respective artistic styles. Call it what you will, but it reeks of bigotry and prejudice if you ask me.

I don't necessarily expect professional singers to get every octave dead nuts on but I do expect a "professional singer" to be able to remember the lyrics of whatever he/she is being paid to sing. Doesn't seem to much to ask IMHO.
My thoughts exactly.
The time you hear this crap of disrespect the most is when someone does a "soulful" rendition of the song such as Whitney Houston, Marvin Gaye, or that poor teenage girl in Indiana that was in the news a few weeks ago. Yet you hardly hear a whisper when Jim Cornelius, Huey Lewis and the News, or Garth Brooks did it in their respective artistic styles. Call it what you will, but it reeks of bigotry and prejudice if you ask me.
I think I know what you're getting at here, but am I reading this correctly? Christine Aguilera is white, so how is this a bigotry and prejudice issue? Seriously?

Have you ever served in the US armed forces, in any branch?, if so I'm surprised by your response. If you have not, and have not put your life on the line 24/7 insuring that that song's words still hold up today; then come back when you do, we'll discuss this again. Till then I'll respect your opinion I don't agree with it, however it's yours, but I will not change mine. From what's been said today in the media, there are more folks who see it from my viewpoint than not.

Edited by Angels49
I think I know what you're getting at here, but am I reading this correctly? Christine Aguilera is white, so how is this a bigotry and prejudice issue? Seriously?

I'm not saying anyone here or this incident for that matter just an overall theme I've seen and read about over the years. Similar to the issue churches face with newer styles of worship music.

I do expect a "professional singer" to be able to remember the lyrics of whatever he/she is being paid to sing. Doesn't seem to much to ask IMHO.

If you're a performer yourself you will be aware of 'choking', most musicians and vocalists will have experienced it at some time, even the best of the best. No matter how well rehearsed, familiar and utterly competent you might be with a particular piece there may be an occasion when in the middle of a performance your mind goes completely blank and you freeze. Good musos will bluff their way through it on most gigs, but obviously the Superbowl is not your average gig.

peebeep

I'm not saying anyone here or this incident for that matter just an overall theme I've seen and read about over the years. Similar to the issue churches face with newer styles of worship music.
Ah, okay. It's a little clearer now I think. Personally, I don't know much of the issues churches face with newer styles of worship music as I'm a heathen who doesn't practice organized religion. That being said, I don't think much of this is in the same theme.

At the same time, I don't feel as strongly as some here and elsewhere do about this whole incident (and yes, I'm a veteran - 1992-2004 US Army). I don't really care for the singer in question, and I don't really care for ANY celebrity singing the national anthem and embellishing it. I think all sporting events or any events where the national anthem are sung it should be done by childrens choirs or high school choirs or other singing groups. You know, people who would appreciate the chance to do so.

Then again, I also think the Superbowl half-time show should be done by one of the local high school marching bands, but I digress.

Then again, I also think the Superbowl half-time show should be done by one of the local high school marching bands, but I digress.

I'm not in tune with the majority of the new singers, groups, or who is high on the list in the entertainment industry of today, but I thought that the halftime show was less than stellar, in fact very few have lived up to expectations for the event. It seems the more participants the better show they think they'll have. I'm not sure where the Peas stand as far as popularity goes, but their act probably took a big hit for that performance. It seems every one thinks Slash will improve the show. Even M. Jackson (GRHS) included him at one time.

To Fulcrum1:

As far as Gospel songs (Church Music) go, growing up in the south, part of what some call the Bible Belt, I know that those songs are always sung with Reverence; to get the full measure of your faith in God. They are not meant to be entertaining. I've heard some that deviate from the norm, and find that they say the same things as the old songs, just in a different way. However when the traditional form or gospel is done, it does seem that some get a lot out them when a singer who can sing them very well does so. I have a firm faith in God; however I stop short as far as swearing by any one religion. Also it seems that a lot of new groups are forming, or have been formed around what some term designer religion, figure that one out. The world of today is vastly different from the one I grew up in, however I can respect and acknowledge that change is a constant.

Edited by Angels49
Have you ever served in the US armed forces, in any branch?, if so I'm surprised by your response. If you have not, and have not put your life on the line 24/7 insuring that that song's words still hold up today; then come back when you do, we'll discuss this again. Till then I'll respect your opinion I don't agree with it, however it's yours, but I will not change mine. From what's been said today in the media, there are more folks who see it from my viewpoint than not.

Serving now!

Yup she messed up.................

Now compare that to the boos during the national anthem at the Ricky Hatton vs. Floyd Mayweather fight and you have an entirely different story. Now THAT topic was never brought up that I can recall.

And they werent booing the singer btw. :thumbsup:

Edited by cheese

We had a bet going if the anthem would go over or under the average of 2mins. Knowing it was the worbling budgie, i thought it would be a shoe in to go over 2 mins. The clock stopped at 1min 40. I WANT MY $1 BACK CHRISTINA!

If its too hard to sing, if its beyond your skill set, then tell them no when they ask you to sing it and they will find someone else. Too easy. If they asked me to do it, I would say no, I cant do it. If you ask me they should have had the cactus cuties do it.

Mog