Hasegawa NASA 747 + Shuttle

After matching up some Pantone chips, an almost exact match on color for the blue stripe is Pantone 4/C Process color ZFOE-C, the closest Pantone Solid color is 3015C, though it's just a hair on the light side. As for the gray underside of the fuselage, Pantone Solid color 427C is really close and for the underside of the wing Pantone Cool Gray 6C is nearly spot on. As for the decal samples in the previous post, the Hasegawa one is much closer to being correct though the blue is a bit too bright. The Draw decal sheet is just too dark and too warm.

Hope that answers the question.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks again for checking on the colors, just what I needed. From the chip and some Airliners.net photos, it looks like the color is a slight greenish blue.

I have some more question to ask you. Could you email me off the forum?

Thanks,

Tim

AirPhotoOne@comcast.net

Thanks Tony for that info. Much appreicated.

Now I have started the kit. I was going to start a new thread. Should it go here in Airliners? Should it go in space? Or both? The 747 here and the shuttle over there? Or bite the bullet and do it in the in-progress area where it may get lost. Look forward to your thoughts on this.

Tony

Hello guys,I received the kit today and must say it´s a very nice 2-in-1 model.The 747 detail is great,well,I preffer recessed panel lines but the raised ones looks fine.The shuttle is a pretty thing and it´s a shame not to use the internal parts,should be great to build it with the doors in open possitin in a 0 gavity possition.If someone wants more specific details,just ask.

Tony P,put the progress here in a new thread,it´d be very useful for me and the rest of modelers as refference.

Regards!!

I.Martin

P.D. Does someone know if a F/A-18 HARV can be actually builded???

• 2 months later...

X-Plane_fan, Thanks for posting those ref pics and plans. I'm in the process of building the Transport Wings 1/72 747 as an SCA (with a twist) and that's confirmed some details e.g I managed to convince myself that the front of the tailplane sits a little higher than usual on the SCAs and according to the plan it's offset 2 degrees - I've already rebuilt the tail section and have allowed for some adjustment to the pitch of the tailplane.

• 1 month later...

Haven't worked on mine for a while. Too cold down here in the southern hemishpere to paint. Also waiting on Tin to finalise the later decals. No rush Tim, it will be a few months before I get back into it.

• 3 months later...

Greetings all,

Here's an update on the second NASA 747 sheet. A sheet was sent to Tony Landis and he checked it next to the real SCA and said, "...the colors look spot on..."

Tony, thanks again for all your help from all of us!

I have both the 1/200 and the 1/144 sheets on Ebay right now.

Tim Bradley

SCA_Decals-and-747.jpg

Greetings all,

Here's an update on the second NASA 747 sheet. A sheet was sent to Tony Landis and he checked it next to the real SCA and said, "...the colors look spot on..."

Tim Bradley

SCA_Decals-and-747.jpg

I bought a set of these decals I highly recommend them to all, they are AMAZING!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions :unsure:

What did the forward attachment point look like in the 80s when it carried Challenger?Did it have any of the little markings aft of the first door?If so,how many?And also,were the aerodynamic fairings different from the ALT versions?Sorry if there are too many questions! :lol:

Edited by Raptor98

The shuttle attachment points were changed about the same time 905 was painted in the white/blue scheme. If you're doing the original 'American' scheme the fairings would be the early ones but with the shorter forward ferry struts versus the longer ALT struts. Some earlier threads with good details can be found here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=225298&st=40

and here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=239689

905 did carry mission markings on both sides of the fuselage right up to the point of being repainted. They would have looked something like this:

905_Mission_Markings.jpg

Tony

I have a few questions :unsure:

What did the forward attachment point look like in the 80s when it carried Challenger?Did it have any of the little markings aft of the first door?If so,how many?And also,were the aerodynamic fairings different from the ALT versions?Sorry if there are too many questions! :lol:

Greetings all,

Tim Bradley

SCA_Decals-and-747.jpg

Do you plan on listing decals again? Or when will they be sold on the Draw site?

A question for all of you who are smarter than me, does anyone make the decals for the original NASA 747 with the red, white and blue? The decals on mine have gome all brown around the endge and I would like to redo them.

Cheers, Lee

A question for all of you who are smarter than me, does anyone make the decals for the original NASA 747 with the red, white and blue? The decals on mine have gome all brown around the endge and I would like to redo them.

Cheers, Lee

Draw Decals is about to release them and the details are in this thread. I am guessing you are talking 1/144 but they are also doing it in 1/200.

You can view them in the completed auctions at ebay but they will likely be sold on their website soon. I like it that they have included mission marks as well as the silver AMERICAN decal.

• 6 months later...

I saw 905NA and Discovery on the fly-out to Dulles for Udvar-Hazy, and this is how I want to do my Hasegawa kit:

DSC_0053.jpg

The eBay user "scifi88" who makes tile decals for the 1/72 and 1/144 orbiters had once offered the tiles in 1/200 scale. I wrote him an email requesting a reprint of the 1/200 scale tile decals, and he replied that he is planning on doing so. If you're doing a late-career orbiter the tile decals are essential, so you might contact him via eBay to let him know that you're interested in a set.

Also, 911NA had the later-type pylons for the engines that featured the kinked trailing edges, not the early-delivery pylons depicted in the kit, so if you want to do 911NA, you'll need to do a bit of modification.

For those wondering how the kit builds, I've done a 747 as an airliner, and it goes together very easily. I haven't built the orbiter, but I've heard good things about it. I'm looking forward to an easy build and a challenging paint job for Discovery!

Andy

• 10 months later...

I saw the original SCA back in 1983 carrying the Enterprise back from the Paris Air Show. It was in the AA style livery. I saw it again recently in 2012 and it was in the new livery with a new modernised NASA on the tail and just a royal blue pinstripe. I tried to complete a 1/144 modell from Revell which has all the new decals but the struts provided are unable to hold the weight of the Orbiter and keep breaking. Now, rubber bands are holding the Shuttle in place.

so are any of these kits still relevent then,cheers don

001-9.jpg

The Revell 747/Shuttle 1/144 kits with the older N905 AAL pinstripe are no longer sold but Revell of Germany has re-issued the model with the new blue pinstripe livery and new NASA tail. Beware though the supplied struts are very fragile and do not support the Shuttle. My struts keep snapping-off so the Orbiter is held by rubber bands! I am unskilled to make my own struts out of resin. Good luck!