Minimum Interval Take Off launch B-52's & KC-135's

That is very, VERY cool! :thumbsup:

"If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard! " -Gen Turgidson.

Thanks for the share Grant.

Ian

MUCH more impressive (and deafening) in person. :thumbsup:

Ain't that the truth! The adrenaline gets pumping when the klaxon sounds and the alert crews no matter where they are on the base race for their aircraft. Flashing strobes flash telling everyone to pull or stand aside as the alert is underway. However most of the time, the crew only responded to their aircraft rarely even starting engines let along taxiing or departing. When the did it was something to behold.

If you were at a base which had EC-135 on alert it was a very exciting time if the "White Elephants" walked...that is taxied as part of the alert. When they start to roll down the runway...something somewhere bad is happening. This sets everyone to readying for the poo to hit the fan!

I only got to witness one real launch from Mather in the 80's. It was a calm day and after the three Buffs lifted off all you could see of the tankers was big gray fins running down the runway in a big black lake. Looked like some huge sharks.

Also note that they DO NOT fly runway heading but turn as soon as they can.

I only got to witness one real launch from Mather in the 80's. It was a calm day and after the three Buffs lifted off all you could see of the tankers was big gray fins running down the runway in a big black lake. Looked like some huge sharks.

Also note that they DO NOT fly runway heading but turn as soon as they can.

Yea they banked pretty quickly within a second after lift off.

Had to share this!! And to think this was happening simultaneously at every other SAC base!

<<<Video>>>

used to do this all the time. I was a KC-135 pilot. SAC would have an annual exercise and the bases would invite local VIPs to go along. I took off #4 in a six ship one time with a banker and his wife on board. I was 30 seconds behind the 3rd B-52 and had two more tankers at 15 second intervals behind me. I had the banker in the jump seat and after I got airborne I slid off to the side a little to stay out of the jet wash from the B-52s in front of me. I looked over my shoulder at the banker, who was wide eyed and open mouthed, and simply said, " not exactly your typical airliner takeoff is it!?" to which all he could do was shake his head No.

Bruce

4500hrs in -135s

That is impressive......., you guys should see a whole lotta F-4's getting off the ground in a hurry; that is impressive also...

From A former TAC Rat :thumbsup:

Hey Patrick...ya didn't think I was gonna let SAC have all the fun didja :thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Edited by Angels49
were all of those -g's or were they mixed? looked like the last 3 didn't put out as much smoke.

even cooler was the white water vapor on the top of the wing, while the bottom was dumping the dark smoke.

They all look like Gs to me...

Great video!

Jonah

Wow, that was a very impressive show of force.

As much as I'm glad that Soviets folded (especially for those who lived behind the iron curtain), I kinda miss the US shaking that big stick now and then.

No one can ever say that SAC was lacking in determination and vigor.

Edited by dmk0210

I'll match you with this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b1_1243690531

I forget what movie this was from but these guys had an awesome view. Older versions (F models?) complete with Hound Dog ASMs. I read somewhere that these take-offs were deadly, especially with those tempermental water-injected engines. If any of the lead aircraft had to abort, there was insufficient visibility and runway for the aircraft behind to avoid a collision.

I also thought I read that SAC increased the interval to 30 seconds between planes later but in that first video, which was much more recent, some of those BUFFs seemed to be 10-12 seconds apart!

We'll never see something like that again.

It isnt SEA scheme.

Its SAC SIOP scheme, the others are wearing the SAC Strategic scheme

The tan, two tone green over light gray, looks like SEA to me. Maybe SAC had a different name but meh it looks the same or similar to me. The others yes sported SAC Strategic scheme.

SEA scheme on the BUFFS had the black undersides...SIOP was white undersides. I believe the upper surfaces used the same three colors on both schemes.

Though to be fair, the B-52Gs deployed to SEA wore the SIOP scheme...

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
The tan, two tone green over light gray, looks like SEA to me. Maybe SAC had a different name but meh it looks the same or similar to me. The others yes sported SAC Strategic scheme.

That last G was in the SAC SIOP scheme, there were never any B-52's in the tactical SEA colors used by fighters, C-130's etc. The other G's appeared to be in the later dark grey scheme.