Kinetic S-2F

Yes - and what I'm suggesting is that the forward end of the weapons bay is mislocated on the kit. I've amended my illustration to show the location of the pilot's side window as well relative to the green panel lines. It isn't too bad a match overall for your S-2E/G photo. I'll also note that a couple of different modelers who have the kits have measured them and posted the results on this thread. The fuselage may be a bit short, but it is not as short as an S-2A.

KineticS-2ForwardFuselageIIweb.jpg

With respect to the panel lines, in stretching the forward fuselage Grumman redesigned the aft part of the of the pilots compartment and the forward part of the mid fuselage which contains the crew compartment. It wasn't a simple plug. Frames and stringers changed. The bomb bay remained in the same place. I'll work up a sketch so you can judge for yourself where the frames are for the long and short fuselage.

I made this photo. It has already been established that the Squadron In Action drawing seen here sucks. The kit is correct in terms of size. I say this here now, just to make it clear.

I feel that the problem is not the fuselase too short behind the cockpit, the problem is the bomb bay, very long.

Perhaps while still in 3D design, when stretching the fuselage to the front, the vertices of the bomb bay were accidentally selected together and this mistake was not noticed...

I feel that the problem is not the fuselase too short behind the cockpit, the problem is the bomb bay, very long.

Perhaps while still in 3D design, when stretching the fuselage to the front, the vertices of the bomb bay were accidentally selected together and this mistake was not noticed...

Got mine yesterday. They apparently were looking at S-2A drawings when they layed out the bomb bay. Not a problem as I am sawing mine down to an S-2A or maybe US-2C anyway...

When are your decals going to be ready?

bob

sierrascale

Well a nice read this topic. also a note as a decal producer.

Me and my brother from Flevo Decals (from Holland) will also make a nice sheet for the Dutch (short version).

Hello Björn,

Can't wait! Any info on the ETA?

Cheers,

Leon

There is very little double checking of information on the interweb. Most posters just copy what's already there. I don't. Usually.

By the way, the wing span given is wrong, too. It looks like the originator of this particular error used S2F-3 data, at least in part (although the later Canadian airplanes had "cans" on the wing tips that would have increased the span over the original 69' 8)".

It's very easy to tell the short from the long fuselages by the location of the propeller warning stripe. One more time, see HERE. Or paste in http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/08/stoof.html

Steve Ginter has an S2F-1 monograph in work in his Naval Fighters series.

One more information on the Canadian Tracker I have found a site which is not Wiki.. and gives a very good description of Canada's Tracker. The site presents a official document of CF which show the dimension which is 42-0ft. You can go to at http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/tracker.html

Also a diagram show dimensions including the permanently attached UPD-501 "can" antennas with the CS2F-2.

One of the reason that Canada choose the S2F-1 or S2A short version is that it would fit on the elevators of our carrier HMCS Bonaventure.

All the 99 trackers that were build for Canada by DeHaviland Canada, were all the same dimension. A certain number of the earlier production aircraft were sold to our Dutch friends.

Hope that can be helpfull. By the way I have a special interest in the Canadian Tracker being that my brother in law as flown them in the late 60's

Hyperscale has posted a review of this kit:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/kit...4reviewbg_1.htm

It looks to be a nice one, good to hear that Kinetic has improved their surface detailing. At this point, I am just waiting to see if we can get resin cockpit and bomb bay upgrade sets released. Hopefully the aftermarket folks will churn out a nice selection of upgrades and decals for this one.

Edit: After looking at the pictures from the review, I feel that the most pressing need for aftermarket parts are to replace the very basic looking engines.

John

Edited by 11bee
I (Caracal Models) will be doing a S-2E/G sheet and I will share the artwork with you soon. I have also started designing a sheet with Canadian and other markings for "short" Stoofs; but I will only release it if an S-2A kit is announced.

I believe there are at least two different turboprop conversions: the Grumman one used by Taiwan (excellent blue camouflage and sharkmouth to boot) and the Marsh Aviation conversions used by everyone else. The nacelles are somewhat different, and the Taiwanese use a four-bladed prop while the others use a five-bladed Hartzell. I am sure we'll see conversions for one of them.

In your design for the Canadian Tracker what period are you looking at? because they were different markings through the years. I have a few pictures (b&W) few colors if that can be of any use.

Robert

In your design for the Canadian Tracker what period are you looking at? because they were different markings through the years. I have a few pictures (b&W) few colors if that can be of any use.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your offer to help. I have already finished the basic design for multiple Canadian schemes (the initial scheme used on the Bonaventure, the intermediate scheme and the low-vis scheme worn during the final years-here's an unscaled snipped of what I have done so far). The low-vis scheme has unique stencilling for which I don't have good references, I could use some references of those markings if you have them. That said, I don't know which Canadian markings will be included in the final sheet. There just are too many great "short Stoof" (S2F-1, US-2A/C etc.) and only so much space on the sheet. It all depends on the success of the S-2E sheet as well.

cns2.png

Edited by KursadA
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your offer to help. I have already finished the basic design for multiple Canadian schemes (the initial scheme used on the Bonaventure, the intermediate scheme and the low-vis scheme worn during the final years-here's an unscaled snipped of what I have done so far). The low-vis scheme has unique stencilling for which I don't have good references, I could use some references of those markings if you have them. That said, I don't know which Canadian markings will be included in the final sheet. There just are too many great "short Stoof" (S2F-1, US-2A/C etc.) and only so much space on the sheet. It all depends on the success of the S-2E sheet as well.

cns2.png

I will look into my files to see what I can find. I do have a drawings of the unification period ( 1968 ) I will send you a PM late with a few pictures for your files. Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...