How do you organize your extras?

I thought it might be interesting to see how far each of us actually goes with their workspace and the extras we accumulate. So, I'll lead off. :monkeydance:

I keep my spares in two mini drawer containers. I have a 3rd (not pictured) that is akin to the small brown one and that is where my car parts are. I break down drawers into groups (all 1/48):

Misc.

Canopies/clear parts (all scales)

props/resin casting blocks

cockpit parts

built cockpits (complete)

built cockpits (incomplete)

airframe panels

landing gear panels

landing gear

wheels/tires/rims for single-engine aircraft

wheels/tires/rims for multi-engine aircraft

bombs

droptanks/radar pods

rockets

guns/ammo chutes/etc.

spare PE parts and frets

engines/poly caps

exhausts

spinners

034-1.jpg

035-2.jpg

Then I have one drawer for 1/72 parts, two drawers for 1/32 parts and a drawer of nothing but the extras that one gets in the 1/48 Fujimi Bf109 series.

Here are a few examples:

L to R-seats, gunsights/control sticks/pedals, cockpit panels, instrument panels/radios

038-1.jpg

L to R-landing gear panels, landing gear, guns/ammo chutes

039.jpg

L to R-1/72 wheels, 1/48 wheels (single-engine aircraft)

040-1.jpg

All of my resin detail sets, figures and conversions are kept in a large three-drawer stackable unit. My PE sets and cast-metal sets are kept in a small cardboard box inside of this unit. All of these items are kept cataloged on my Excel database. Although I would love to keep them out and neatly organized by sight I figure if there was a fire or another problem I can grab and carry (or throw out a window) the three-drawer unit. Also another reason why my decals are in three three-ring binders. And speaking of decals mine are arranged by group: Props, Jets and Auto.

So, am I just overly nerdy here or are some of you out there as meticulous (or is it ridiculous? LOL!) as I am? :whistle: Just curious really. Lets hear and see how your extras are kept track of!

Later,

Lee

Nah, not overly nerdy at all... in fact, I'm a little envious. I often think about doing the same, but haven't the motivation yet. Currently, I keep all old sprues (not even trimmed pieces) in a couple of old large scale aircraft kit boxes and a 1/350 Enterprise box. Hardly well organized at all....

I thought it might be interesting to see how far each of us actually goes with their workspace and the extras we accumulate. So, I'll lead off. :blink:

I keep my spares in two mini drawer containers. I have a 3rd (not pictured) that is akin to the small brown one and that is where my car parts are. I break down drawers into groups (all 1/48):

Misc.

Canopies/clear parts (all scales)

props/resin casting blocks

cockpit parts

built cockpits (complete)

built cockpits (incomplete)

airframe panels

landing gear panels

landing gear

wheels/tires/rims for single-engine aircraft

wheels/tires/rims for multi-engine aircraft

bombs

droptanks/radar pods

rockets

guns/ammo chutes/etc.

spare PE parts and frets

engines/poly caps

exhausts

spinners

034-1.jpg

035-2.jpg

Then I have one drawer for 1/72 parts, two drawers for 1/32 parts and a drawer of nothing but the extras that one gets in the 1/48 Fujimi Bf109 series.

Here are a few examples:

L to R-seats, gunsights/control sticks/pedals, cockpit panels, instrument panels/radios

038-1.jpg

L to R-landing gear panels, landing gear, guns/ammo chutes

039.jpg

L to R-1/72 wheels, 1/48 wheels (single-engine aircraft)

040-1.jpg

All of my resin detail sets, figures and conversions are kept in a large three-drawer stackable unit. My PE sets and cast-metal sets are kept in a small cardboard box inside of this unit. All of these items are kept cataloged on my Excel database. Although I would love to keep them out and neatly organized by sight I figure if there was a fire or another problem I can grab and carry (or throw out a window) the three-drawer unit. Also another reason why my decals are in three three-ring binders. And speaking of decals mine are arranged by group: Props, Jets and Auto.

So, am I just overly nerdy here or are some of you out there as meticulous (or is it ridiculous? LOL!) as I am? :tumble: Just curious really. Lets hear and see how your extras are kept track of!

Later,

Lee

I do the same thing but I don't seperate scales. Also have a different drawer unit for 1/35 scale figures and equipment.

I do have a couple of drawers that contain small misc parts in different scales that I sometimes browse through if I need particular looking part for a project.

Cheers :cheers:

Andy G

Most of my small tools and supplies are in a couple carousels immediately to either side of my work area.

I have an old desk that fits under one wing of my L-shaped workbench; this gives me 7 drawers to my left.

In addition, I have several of those plastic "drawer-towers" on top of the bench, also to the left.

So, in effect, I can reach for anything I need without even having to look.

1. decals (all scales)

2. PE and resin sets

3/4/5 scratch-building supplies (plastic sheet and strip, metal tubing and sheet, wood etc)

6/7 dedicated drawers for heavier tools such as razor saws, miter boxes, machinist squares etc etc

8 drawer for sanding and polishing supplies

9 drawer for Q-Tips, tooth-picks etc

10 drawer for misc items such as fishing line, metal tape, older paint brushes

cheers

Old Blind Dog