Revell 1/144 747-400 BA

Decided to bit the bullet and start on this build after reading there is some 'surgery' required to get it close to form-- reworking the nose --changing the incline of the wing root, so far I have got the hull together after placing some bog-bondo up inside the nose section and started on the rework of the wing root

sany0656small.jpg

After the hull was glued up I added a couple stays for support

sany0660small.jpg

The belly part was glued on and the slot was plugged with some plastic (spruce filed down) a template was made of the upper wing shape

sany0659small.jpg

The template was laid on and marked out keeping the top front level and dropping the rear down to the bottom rear corner of the existing slot, then the new slot drawn in, the top rear corner of the slot is 3mm below the new wing line

sany0665small.jpg

The new slot cut out

sany0667small.jpg

The wing sitting in its new location

sany0668small.jpg

All went to plan, it shows a 6mm drop, next will be to glue on some plastic where needed and file away some of the old wing root

Edited by Dunelimo
I have got the hull together after placing some bog-bondo up inside the nose section and started on the rework of the wing root

Good job!!.I must do the same with mine someday.I have a question about the nose reshape that don´t understand very well,tell me if I´m wrong,you have filled the nose with putty and now you have to sand the plastic until the putty appears and then keep on sanding for the correct shape,isn´t it?

Wich kind off putty must be used?

Thanks.

I.Martin

Some more work done, sanded away the unwanted wing root and cut up some more spruce and gave it a little shape

sany0670s.jpg

This is what it looked like glued on

sany0672s.jpg

Now sanded down and to shape

sany0680s.jpg

A little bit of fine sanding to get a good joint

sany0682s.jpg

The large piece of spruce I used was not long enough---this has to be filled

sany06841s.jpg

And now the nose

I took the hump from the middle of the nose, lowered it to make the 'point' about level with the bottom of the windows, rounded it some more, reshaped-built up above the screen, then the cockpit was lowered to be just above the lower window line just like the real deal

sany0694s.jpg

sany0691s.jpg

After I filed the body to lower the cockpit I put masking tape on top of the screen to let it act as a mold, put it into position and filled between the body and screen with bog and then very carefully sanded it back

sany0697s.jpg

sany0698s.jpg

sany0696a.jpg

All done for now as I need some sleep :-) will probably fill the cheeks out and thin the wings to get it up to scratch

Nice start Mike. I have a few of the Lufthannsa boxings waiting for my attention.

I wonder if the Revell 747-200 has the same wing incidence issues? Anyone know?

Hi Ray,

The old Revell -200 wingroot position is correct, and, it is a delightful build for such an old kit!

Take Care,

Frank

Hi Ray,

The old Revell -200 wingroot position is correct, and, it is a delightful build for such an old kit!

Take Care,

Frank

Thanks Frank, I actually coped the root out of mine to make a -300 that I will finish one day :rolleyes: I should have asked if it is right for the -300 root location as well.

After reading more posts on this topic and looking at more pics I can now see that the wings are to thick !!!

So with a bit of 120 grit and a flat plate I have sanded them down both leading edge and flaps

sany0699s.jpg

Here is a comparison of one thinned and the other standard, the taper starts about 40mm back from the wing base

sany0706s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After waiting a while for some dremel disc's to turn up I finally got some work done to the cheeks of the plane

I had already made a template up of the new curved required, this gives me some think to check the curve with, I marked it out and then made the cuts leaving the panel still attached to the body

sany0709s.jpg

I used a pin as a spacer to lift the panel out and make the curve and then taped the panel back down at the nose

sany0711s.jpg

After moving the pin back and forth and filing it down a couple of times I got the curve I wanted

sany0714s.jpg

To fill the gaps in I filled up some spruce and glued them in, when this goes off I will add some bog and file/sand away to get the new shape, then I can start to assemble/paint the plane :-)

sany0718s.jpg

sany0720s.jpg

sany0722s.jpg

sany0723s.jpg

Edited by Dunelimo

Probably my last post here as this entire issue of perfection is getting to me. Doesn't anyone build model airplanes anymore just for the relaxation and enjoyment? Does every thing have to be so perfect. Wake up and smell the glue people. There is no such thing as the perfect model. Some one is always gonna find fault. And has there ever been a model made that has the perfect nose? Everything issued is either too round or too pointed. Going back to my work shop and finish building my not perfect Airfix 747 in NW colors.

Frank

ATL

Doesn't anyone build model airplanes anymore just for the relaxation and enjoyment?

I do.

Does every thing have to be so perfect.

No, because there's no such thing as absolute perfection, only degrees of it. Some choose to build their models with a higher degree of accuracy over others, and find enjoyment in doing that.

If I want to throw something together with little effort, I'll pick a kit that fits the bill. Meanwhile, I'll pour a little extra effort into making accurate the models that need it. It's part of the hobby for me.

Outstanding work, Dunelimo!! :pray:

Really enjoying your work, as I too have spent many an enjoyable hour re-forming the beautiful 747!

Buggs: I enjoy straight builds form the box sometimes myself, but I don't really see performing major surgery on a kit to attain better personal visual appeal as a burdon, but a PLEASURE.

For me it is VERY relaxing, not to mention very satisfying. :taunt: Also, I personally don't care who "finds fault" because I don't build for anyone but myself.

Edited by oldHooker

After finishing the 'surgery' and sanding back the bog and a bit more fine puttying all is done, I now have the hull one color again :-)

Some of the panel marks I put back in ( this was a learning curve) are a little heavy but I will adjust that as it gets painted

sany0727.jpg

sany0731l.jpg

That's impressive work. Now I'm more inclined to do the same with my B744.

What sort of primer are you using? I tend to use general purpose gray primer or Mr. Surfacer on my projects.