1/48th Kinetic EA-6B Prowler VAQ-209 Dark Knights.

Ok everyone here is the much anticipated new W.I.P. from JMan. Hope you all didn't mind waiting forever and a day to finally get a W.I.P. WITH PICS! Yes you read that right there will be pics with this W.I.P.!!!! EXPLOSIONS, FIREWORKS, BOOM-BOOM!!!!! Ok now let's get serious. I have had my eye on building an 1/48th EA-6B Prowler. I have built them in 1/72, but 1/72 just doesn't flip my trigger if you know what I mean. It's big enough to really be able to detail, but small enough that it's not going to take up all of your exhibit space like a 1/32nd.

I was originally going to go with the Monogram 1/48th Prowler but as I was browsing through SprueBrothers I noticed that it wasn't even being carried in their inventory. I was confused so I contacted Gordon over at SB and was told that that particular kit was a limited release and when stock ran out so did the kits availability. I was upset because I was going to have to fork over an additional $20.00 for the Kinetic version. In all honesty I am glad that the Monogram is no longer available because the Kinetic outweighs the Monogram in every aspect, well except price.

As the first and only picture right now shows are all the goodies that I purchased along with the kit. Still some other things that I need to get for it such as paint and the decals from Fightertown Decals. This has to be one of the most stunning tail arts I have seen in a long time, especially for the new TPS schemes on all Navy aircraft. Just glad that the "Top Brass", still allows for the Commanding officer jets to be a little more lively than the regular line jets. Star Wars was always one of my favorite movie series as I am sure for millions of others out there. When I was flipping through the decals over at Brian's website I saw my favorite villain of all time in Lord Darth Vader. I had to do this scheme so I set my eyes on it and now this is what I will be doing.

I don't know if it will take me over a year to compete this kit, but I will not rush this as it was quite expensive for everything that I got which I will give you a rundown here in a few. After seeing this bird built by countless modelers around the world I figured it was my turn, and hope you all buckle up and enjoy the ride! As promised here is a rundown of the goodies that I purchased to make this beauty come to life:

Kinetic 1/48 EA-6B Prowler

Aires EA-6B Prowler ICAP-II (late version) cockpit

SAC EA-6B Prowler white metal landing gear

Steel Beach EA-6B Prowler wing fences correction set

That is the primary ingredients to concoct a recipe for this beautiful aircraft. I also made purchases of sanding paper ranging from 320 to 12,000, many bottles of paint, liquid cement, Tamiya tape, sticky tac, and last but not least an airbrush and compressor!

Well before I let you go here is a teaser pic of this soon to be MAGNIFICENT build!

003.jpg

Enjoy and Happy Modeling!

Jeremy

Edited by JMan

Sorry for the delay in pics guys and gals. I just bought a new camera and was trying to figure out the Macro setting but I finally got it so that the pics that I do offer you all will be nice and viewable. Hope you all like. I am working on the pit right now as that is one of my favorite parts to work on. The ejection seats come kind of like the kit seats being that they have no shoulder harnesses or lap belts. Thankfully the Aires pit comes with some really really nice shoulder harnesses and lap belts. I am currently installing them right now and have only 1 seat completely done. I tell you having fat fingers really doesn't help that much but I am getting there. Some of the seats are missing some of the forward pieces of the bottom of the seat, but thankfully I was able to salvage those pieces in the bag. Before I slap some paint on them I will have gotten all of those pieces back on and you will have never noticed that they were missing. Well this is really all that I have for right now, more to come. Thanks for looking! Comments welcome and wanted, and Happy Modeling!

Jeremy

DSCN0061.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

Be gentle its been a long time since I have done a W.I.P.!!!

Slowly but surely I am getting started. I don't want to rush this so I am taking my time and if it takes me an entire day to put on the shoulder harnesses and lap belts I definitely will do that. Thanks for looking guys!

Jeremy

I was lucky enough to get to see that particular aircraft at the Andrews AFB open house last year. It its as awesome in person a you think. I took a bunch of detail shots, even though I had never really thought of doing one before.

How is the kit pit? Can you take some comparison shots?

I was lucky enough to get to see that particular aircraft at the Andrews AFB open house last year. It its as awesome in person a you think. I took a bunch of detail shots, even though I had never really thought of doing one before.

How is the kit pit? Can you take some comparison shots?

I saw this same plane last year at Andrews. That was one dirty bird, but it looked darn cool!

Edited by laval66
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man has it really been this long?? Sorry guys! Not much done, been busy with work and having some internet issues. Be back soon with pics!

Jeremy

OK guys here we go. It's been almost a month and I do apologize for the wait but here is some progress and pics of the Prowler. When I found out that the canopy would be coming in 5 different pieces I was a little worries as to how I would be putting them together and then actually fit the way they should just in case I didn't have them in the open position.

Here is what they looked like apart:

DSCN0073.jpg

Here is what they looked liked when the halves were put together:

DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

After that I then placed them in their actual place on the plane. Rear canopy in rear canopy and front canopy in their, well, you get the idea:

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

Here is the ejection seats inside the canopy and so that I wouldn't get them mixed up I actually decided where they would go when finished by engraving initials on the bottom (i.e. LR for Left Rear). Here is how they look without paint:

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

Here is one of the bang seats during strap installation, it was actually quite fun, enjoyed it, well except for when all of a sudden I would hear a "DOINK!", and I would have to quick look up to make sure I see where it flies to so that I wouldn't lose it:

DSCN0067.jpg

As I was constructing the drop tanks and after I had sanded the seams down I realized on the other non-sanded tank that there were oval access panels that I sanded off and were no longer visible to re-scribe so with my new "Handy Dandy" Verlinden Scribing Template I was able to re-scribe the panels as you can see in these next two pictures:

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

I have a few more pictures coming soon!

Jeremy

Here is the last portion of this update. I had to have a little bit something different from what I normally do. I usually have the loadout semetrical. This time however, I will be doing it assemetrical. I will have two drop tanks on the inboard pylons, one HARM missile on the left outer pylon, and will have 2 ECM pods, 1 under the outer right wing pylon and one on the belly. If anyone knows if this is not correct please let me know! Here they are:

DSCN0115.jpg

Thanks everyone for looking and as always comments welcomed and wanted! Happy Modeling!

Jeremy

Thanks Liberator seems you are the only one interested in my Prowler....lol....... :D I am just messin! I have a small update that I would like to do before I go to work. It's not much but it does make me that much more further along in my Prowler journey.

To start off I just want to let everyone know in here that even though Aires does once in awhile have a few small broken pieces it still pales in comparison to the quality and engineering that goes into every Aires product. What I am saying is that yes I did have a few pieces that broke off but nothing that JMan couldn't fix. Two of the bangseats had some of the seat parts broken off, i.e. around the thigh areas as well as one and I do mean only 1 of the crotch pull rings had broken off. Here is what I am talking about:

DSCN0131.jpg

The nice thing was that Aires packages all their stuff in nice plastic baggies and bubble wrap that I was confident that I would find ALL pieces and watdu know sure enough they were all there. How about that. Well here are some pics of before and after:

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

The tailpipes will need to have some putty used on them if I want to have them shown open. It is still a toss up. Since I am going to be making this a static bird with canopy open and RBF flags all over her and will scratch a soft intake FOD cover I might just make an exhaust FOD cover, still haven't decided. Here are the tailpipes:

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

Didn't quite know how to make the face curtain pull rings on the ejection seats. Aires gives you some 0.5mm wire and you have to cut them to size and shape them into a "U" shape. I tried with no luck. Got the right length just couldn't get the right shape. I decided to use the kit pull rings but it would require some cutting and patience, so this is what I did:

Before:

DSCN0132.jpg

After here is all 4 ready for installation, I will paint these before they are put on. How? Don't know yet......lol, anyways here they are:

DSCN0138.jpg

One last thing before I head off to work is that I wanted to do some comparisons with some of the parts and one of them that struck me was the Flight Control stick. Sometimes the kit ones are superb while the aftermarket is just an over priced hunk of junk. I looked at each one very carefully and have come to the conclusion that the Aires does outweigh the Kinetic stick. For one it shows more depth, has all the control and fire buttons as well as the sheath at the base is more prominent and more realistic looking. You be the judge, just trying to do a little more than build, I am trying to learn, here you go:

DSCN0133.jpg

Hey well it's off to work I go, HI HO HI HO HI HO HI HO! Please sing that it will sound better than if you don't, for those of you too young to remember that's from Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. Thanks for looking and as always comments wanted and welcomed. Happy Modeling!

Jeremy

Edited by JMan

How did you try forming the U shaped wire pieces? I always try to use something a little smaller than the object to bend around, and make sure I have too much wire. A paperclip might work in this case, pulling the wire tight around it then trimming the excess.

How did you try forming the U shaped wire pieces? I always try to use something a little smaller than the object to bend around, and make sure I have too much wire. A paperclip might work in this case, pulling the wire tight around it then trimming the excess.

Yeah I don't have the greatest in wire bending or shaping tools. I tried to use a paint brush but wouldn't shap it enough, then I tried using one of my kids Nintendo DSI stylis' but it was too small. I thought I would try and use these just in case and they seem to fit and they look to scale. Just hope that when I have them painted and installed they still look that way!

Jeremy

+1 on this. I didn't know these Kinetic Prowlers look this good!

Rob

Yeah this kit is amazing. The only thing that I don't really care for about this kit is that the plastic is really thick and in some places brittle. I have to fix a couple of cracks in the middle of a piece because of pressure I put on it to re-scribe and redo rivets. Other than that I love this kit and man is she long, longer than I thought. I would love to get more of these, and glad that the Monogram one isn't available because what I heard is that it was a piece of junk! Hope to see other Kinetic Prowlers being built on here.

Jeremy

great work so far!! I really need to get myself one/two/three of these kits!!!

Thanks appreciate the kind words. Hope to get more done. I am finding it hard to find a place to airbrush. Ventilation isn't the greatest here. I am using Acrylics so it wouldn't be that bad but still. I sure hope I can find a place soon. I am itching to try my new airbrush and compressor. More updates to come, I promise!

Jeremy