F7U-3M Cutlass

Hello all,

Just got my hands on this kit and will be doing a "basic" build over the next month or so. Probably some details added but no extensive work. My goal is to show off the kit and provide some assembly notes and natural metal finishing techniques. Because I had a hand in some of this kit I will abstain from making this build a review - rather a step-by-step build.

Here are shots of the contents: This aircraft will be in "natural" metal scheme with VX-4 markings.

dsc0590n.jpg

dsc0593q.jpg

dsc0594k.jpg

dsc0595k.jpg

dsc0596va.jpg

dsc0597a.jpg

dsc0598gk.jpg

dsc0599s.jpg

dsc0601i.jpg

More soon,

Timmy!

Hi Timmy,

I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress. Unfortunately my kit is now packed away for the trip back to Australia so it's going to be a while before I get started on it. I dropped by Chico Airport in the company 'vehicle' last week to grab some gas and as a bonus got to see Paul; he bought along his build of the Cutlass for me to have a look at. It looks fantastic! Anyway, I'm planning an NMF build of this kit also....oh yeah...nice work on the parts you contributed, the box art looks cool too!

Cheers,

Mark

Ok so it starts. I have cleaned up the cockpit parts and transparencies. I dipped the clear parts in Future to bring up the clarity and get the parts ready for some structure to be added to the inside. The Future will keep the clear parts from frosting as I glue in detail. Shots of those parts coming later. Here are shots of the detail added so far.

Instrument coaming and panel. Added G meter and sight indicator box (provided in the kit) and dial control for the sight and some wiring were added. Also sharp eyes will see the flood lights mounted under the instrument panel coaming.

dsc0604p.jpg

dsc0603n.jpg

Rivet detail was added to the backside of the armor plate behind the ejection seat. The rivets were made with JB Weld applied with a sharp steel needle. (Also a couple of shots showing the cockpit tub detail).

dsc0608oz.jpg

dsc0609g.jpg

dsc0610l.jpg

Misc. detail parts cleaned up. Rudder pedals are offset a little as the upper rudder surfaces will be offset. The white rectangles are the seat pan.

dsc0611z.jpg

Main seat section. Tubular structure was added (0.020" styrene rod), along with the inertial reel lock lever on the left side along with its control cable. Leg restraint loops were added, wire was bent to match the photo etch parts provided in the kit.

dsc0607h.jpg

dsc0606qe.jpg

That's it for now.

Timmy!

Timmy,Geez!!

you are crafts man that is seems able to Master this build..

You have a great eye for detail and the work looks good...

AMAZING start..very organized by the set up and the details I see...Look forward to this lovely build...

Keep up the good work.... :woo::worship:

{toniosky,,WELL I LIKE THIS BIRD !!!} :) :woo:

Detail work continues. I tackled the canopy first. The clear section forward section and aft portions are joined, though there is a bit of a step that needs to be corrected. This was done by laying strips of styrene and smoothing them out. A little bond was needed too (this has been faired in but still fine surface filling to do yet). Inside and outside of the clear section were masked off prior to and gluing of parts. Lower rails were widened with 0.040" styrene strip.

dsc0613n.jpg

dsc0616t.jpg

dsc0617c.jpg

dsc0618j.jpg

dsc0619k.jpg

Power Control Lever added to cockpit.

dsc0622z.jpg

dsc0623s.jpg

Detail added to the canopy area of the fuselage.

dsc0627xo.jpg

The next layer of detail a coat of base paint. This will give you and idea of where the color is going. Yellow/green primer is a mix of Floquil colors approx. 5 parts Reffer Yellow to one part Pullman Green. "Black" is Grimy Black.

As a note the inside masks of the canopy are a fraction smaller than the outside. The yellow color was sprayed first, then black. The small difference in mask size should give a nice little yellow outline around the glass and frame. Got my fingers crossed it works out.

Cockpit:

dsc0629a.jpg

dsc0631z.jpg

dsc0633ps.jpg

dsc0635m.jpg

Some added structure to the underside of the canopy. With the canopy open you will see some of this, didn’t really try too hard here, just a suggestion will be all that's needed.

dsc0636ib.jpg

dsc0639c.jpg

More soon!!

Timmy!

OK so now the cockpit is pretty much complete. Only the ejection handle and a small d-ring (for manual seat release) to be added. It's a little tricky to get the cockpit in the fuse with the seat attached but it can be done. I'm going to turn to surface prep for the metal finish next.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

dsc0641i.jpg

dsc0642l.jpg

dsc0643n.jpg

dsc0645v.jpg

dsc0646y.jpg

dsc0648gx.jpg

dsc0649r.jpg

dsc0650h.jpg

Timmy!