Double-Yuh-Double-Yuh Two Builders

Hey guys, thinking of putting together a GB to kick off say around June. Any interest? I've been kicking around a few ideas:

1. Blitzkrieg GB: 1939-1941 (excluding BoB) Poland, Norway, France, Greece. etc.

2. Eastern Front GB 2: This June marks the 70th anniversary of "Barbarossa/The Great Patriotic War". Lots and lots of material for this one.

3. Spanish Civil War 2: Not often modeled subject but lots of interesting aircraft.

Of course I'm open to anything else interesting as well. Thoughts?

Edited by The Mikester

I have been thinking about an early war GB like you propose since the BoB GB started last year. I've got a stack of Heller / Smer French aircraft kits, also have a few Dutch and Finn possibilities in the stash.

I also recently got the VVS bug, so got a pile of Soviet candidates for an East Front GB too.

I don't have much for a Spanish Civil War GB, but that doesn't sound bad either. The interwar period doesn't get a lot of attention so personally I'd prefer to see something a bit more open like Wars of the 1930s GB or just a general Between the wars GB. There were several small wars between the World Wars that get little attention, so it could be fun to explore those a bit. A wars of the 30s GB could also include the opening stages of WW2 in China and perhaps Poland which don't get a lot of attention compared to the rest of the war.

Edited by Aaronw

Well we could open it way up and do something like a "Prelude to War/Early War" GB. Anything from 1936-40, the Sino-Japanese conflict, Spanish Civil War, the campaigns in Poland, France (Fall Weiß and Fall Gelb), Norway, and Denmark (Operation Weserübung) and the Soviet invasion of Finland and Poland.

Or is that too wide open? Considering we haven't seen real big numbers participating in our WW2 GB's lately I lean towards trying to appeal to the most people possible.

Opening it up sounds good to me, not sure how you could name or specify it, but I think a broad "aerial combat 1935-1940" should cover most of the bases or pull it back to 1935-1939 to narrow it a smidge to avoid crossover into BoB?

So to include any aircraft in military service between 1935 and 1939, which is a big chunk of time to cover, and broad enough to pull in a decent following, a lot of people will have something in the stash to cover it, and making it international brings in a lot of interesting subjects and sub-variants like some of the export Hawker Hinds and so on.

That period is pretty interesting as it encompasses "late interwar" and "early WW2" in the same breath

I like the prelude to war idea, but would ask it run to at least May 1940 so the winter war, invasion of Norway and invasion of the low countries / battle for France is included. The start of the Battle of Britain in June 1940 seems like a natural place to cut things off anyway, midway through the year and an obvious turning point from quick German victories to a longer war.

Most of the usual BoB subjects are still available in this period so excluding the BoB shouldn't cause much of an uproar.

I'm fine with opening it to all military aviation of the period or limiting it to the nations in a state of war.

Edited by Aaronw

OK, so it sounds like we're set on the parameters, 1935-40 (June, up to and including the battle for France). Now all we need is a catchy title...have at it! :deadhorse1:

Edited by The Mikester

I kind of like it. I've got an early Heller Bf-109 I've always wanted to build up in Condor Legion colors. I've also got the Roden He-111 "Pedro," but I'm not quite enough of a masochist to actually attempt to build it.

SN

1935-40 works for me, that gives a huge range of subjects from biplanes to early versions of many WW2 stars (Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf109, P-40 etc). Brightly colored interwar aircraft and wartime camo schemes.

Names?

Intermission is over

Practice for the big one

Testing the machines of war

The War to end all wars? I don't think so Tim

Peace for our time

Gearing up for war

The big one begins

OK, we have a green light from Steve on the GB. Dates will be 1 June -1 December 2011. We'll call it the "Pre-War/Early War GB" for now.

If one or two people want to help moderate, let me know.

I'm thinking of doing a 1/32 Kondor Legion 109D using the 1/32 Eduard kit and the Alley Cat conversion set.

Edited by The Mikester

Mike,

I have been considering buying the Alley Cat conversion set also to make my Eduard E-1 into a D. Have you seen the resin or any of Alley Cat's other products? I'm not familiar with their quality or reputation, but the subject matter is enticing!

Mike,

I have been considering buying the Alley Cat conversion set also to make my Eduard E-1 into a D. Have you seen the resin or any of Alley Cat's other products? I'm not familiar with their quality or reputation, but the subject matter is enticing!

Shawn, I also have the 109T conversion set. Although I haven't actually used either set, the quality looks excellent.

• 1 month later...
So, out of curiosity, would a pre-war neutrality patrol PBY Catalina be acceptable for this build? Something from 1938-39?

Absolutely! Any military aircraft operating from 1935 to June 1940 is eligible.

Edited by The Mikester