CF-104 Cockpit in 1:12 scale

So finally.. after going on 4 months of not building anything, I have my workshop up and running and something on the bench.

My new model building digs...

workshop.jpg

Anyway... so on to what, I think, is a rather unique build. And one I ~think~ qualifies for this BG(?) It's not a full aircraft model, just the cockpit..If it doesn't qualify let me know and I'll move the thread someplace else.

Anyway, as a Starfighter fan I thought I'd break in the new bench with a reworking of the Italeri 1:12 F-104G cockpit kit.

There is a general misconception that the CF-104 and F-104G were the same aircraft. They were not. While you can take pretty much any F-104G kit on the market and build it OOB into a CF-104 with extremely few knowing the difference, the cockpit is generally the area with the biggest noticeable difference between the two aircraft. Certainly the seats were not the same but those keen observers will also notice the IP layouts are completely different too.

So here's where I start;

• The Italeri kit.
  • CF-104 Starfighter: Canadian Profile
  • Warpaint: Starfighter
  • Starfighter CF-104 in Canadian Service.

Dsc_0029.jpg

As I mentioned, the two core areas of concern will be the seat and the IP. I thought I'd tackle the IP first.

A before shot of the kit parts with a production diagram of the CF-104 IP layout. Clearly noticeable here is the difference in layout. Dials, switches, and gauges all in different locations.

Dsc_0030.jpg

The primary IP couldn't be simply modified, so I wound up just using that as a pattern and making a new part out of sheet styrene. The secondary IP has its right hand panel sanded off. The lower weapons panel needs a couple of slight changes. The Armament Control Panel on the left is also pretty close so I'm going to leave it even if it's not 100% correct.

Dsc_0035.jpg

And so here's where I am now. The primary IP has the majority of its gauge and dial housings in place. And the Artificial Horizon bubble is represented by a clear headlamp cover.. it actually worked out pretty well. As I'm building this based on some photos I took of a very late service airframe, some of the right hand dials and instruments were blanked out.

Dsc_0039.jpg

So anyway, that's where I am now. I'll continue to post updates as I go along.

thanks

David

Very nice, but what are you going to do for a Canadian ejection seat?

I'm going to scratch build the C2 ejection seat. Pretty much the only salvageable thing from the kit is the ejection rail. Everything else will be scratch.

Neat, I didn't know they made kits of just cockpits. Looking forward to seeing more.

There are only two of these kits that I'm aware of. An F-16 and an F-104G. The F-16 kit was released just around the same time the actual aircraft was entering service and there was all sorts of hoopla surrounding it. So I guess that made sense.

I really have no idea why the F-104 made the cut..and why the G variant? While the 104 is a personal favourite of mine (once it's been turned into the CF-104), I have to admit that it's probably the least likely candidate for a product like this. I can think of a good dozen or more aircraft that would have made more profitable subjects.

I really have no idea why the F-104 made the cut..and why the G variant? While the 104 is a personal favourite of mine (once it's been turned into the CF-104), I have to admit that it's probably the least likely candidate for a product like this. I can think of a good dozen or more aircraft that would have made more profitable subjects.

Looking at the time frame the two cockpits were issued (late '80's) the hundreds of F-104's in NATO air forces were being replaces by hundreds of F-16's. As ESCI - an Italian company - was the original issuer of the kits the European market could be looked upon as being their home turf. With Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Turkey all flying the G model, the market was bigger than it appears.

Cheers,

Sean