Best Online Hobby Stores?

Hi,

I'm a kind of a Noob, getting started again with Scale Modeling after many years.

Is there a list of the Best Online Hobby stores? I have a bunch of stuff that I would like to get, and I can't seem to find one that carries it all. One seems to just carry 2-3 paint brands, while another carries the others, and so on...

Thanks,

Snacko

Hi,

I'm a kind of a Noob, getting started again with Scale Modeling after many years.

Is there a list of the Best Online Hobby stores? I have a bunch of stuff that I would like to get, and I can't seem to find one that carries it all. One seems to just carry 2-3 paint brands, while another carries the others, and so on...

Thanks,

Snacko

Three of the best (IMO) in no particular order:

Squadron.com

Scalehobbyist.com

Spruebrothers.com

Thanks for the info RiceBall!

I'm having a problem with Squadron.com though. I must be stupid, but I don't see anyway to just 'browse' through all their products. All I see is that I can search, list some New or Presell stuff. But not browse by category.

The only problems I have with Squadron is that you cannot log into the site and check the status or history of your orders. They send you an e-mail when you order and an e-mail when they ship and that's it. I'd like to be able to look back at my order histories and be able to check the status of an order. And, they aren't exactly Johnny on the spot in getting your order to you. Sprue Bros. is much, much quicker, as is scalehobbyist.

I've had great results ordering from Mega Hobby and Free Time Hobbies. Their inventory can be more limited than Sprue Bros. and definitely Squadron, but the prices are great, customer service is good and shipping is quick.

A couple of niche vendors that I use a lot are MidTenn Hobbies and White Ensign. MidTenn Hobbies carries White Ensign Colourcoats paints as well as a growing selection of kits and tools. Their customer service absolutely cannot be beat. The guy who owns it even called me once on a Sunday to clarify a question he had about my order. Shipping is also very prompt, usually the same day as the order and they have real time inventory.

White Ensign is in England, so you have a lag time in shipping for international mail, but it's hard to beat their selection and customer service. They also still take Paypal, with a lot of the EU companies no longer take, at least for smaller orders. You can get stuff from them when you just can't find it in stock with a U.S. based vendor. And, the Colourcoat line of enamel paints is about the best on the market in my opinion.

For some neat and useful tools, Micro Mark is great as well. Prompt shipping and good customer service.

I'm sure there are other really good vendors out there, but those are the ones I use the most and that come quickly to mind.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that is a great help!

But I am still wondering how to view the products at Squadron.com???

Do they just use that .pdf Flyer, and that's it? Or is there a way to browse by product type, category on their site? Like Airplanes; Armor; Cars; Paint; ect...

About 3 weeks ago I ordered a package from internethobbies.com.

The shipping status on that package has been "will ship in 2-3 days" ever since. Granted, they charged my cc that very moment :bandhead2:

They do seem to have a very good selection, but it's hard to tell if they actually have things in stock or not.

• 2 months later...

Took a look at hobby-on.

The prices are pretty good but not much in stock. Just about everything I searched for was out of stock. And I really wish that we could turn off the RC cars from showing up in the search results. And wow.. the site is slow to load.

As an update on my earlier post about internethobbies.com Avoid them like the plague. It was months for my package to show up. In January, I ordered 3 items. When I called them in March, they told me they shipped the package on Febuary 8th and it must be held up in customs. When the package finally arrived, the shipping label said April 15th. They shipped one item, cancelled two others, but then conveniently upped the shipping cost so that the resulting charge on my card was exactly the same.

David

• 6 months later...

I almost exclusively use http://www.scalehobbyist.com, at least to buy kits. They have a nearly comprehensive collection, most of it is almost always in stock. The prices are unbeatable, and by that, I mean that I use them as the measuring stick against other online sites. If I see a good price on a kit, I will check it against scalehobbyist, and they have been less EVERY time. The shipping is fast, the customer service is great and the simplest, most intuitive search functions to find exactly what you are looking for every time. Can't say enough about 'em. Well done!

• 3 weeks later...

Squadron is not that hard to search for stuff.

Go to www.squadron.com

At the top to the first page click on CLICK HERE TO ENTER STORE.

At the top of the next page click on SEARCH

This will bring up a screen to SELECT YOUR CRITERIA

by scale, type and mfg..

HTH

Cheers,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

luckymodel.com is my favourite for the latest stuff. The speed of delivery is incredible from HK to the USA.

All the others are good. I think the majors are all pretty good, with mixed customer service.

Welcome back.

Adam

• 7 months later...

Three of the best (IMO) in no particular order:

Squadron.com

Scalehobbyist.com

Spruebrothers.com

You definitely should not fail to mention the fact that scalehobbyist.com does not ship outside of north america. Just spent a few hours on my order there to no avail :-( As did i with spruebrothers, so there is atleast a small solace there (they do ship internationally) i totally agree with this other guy who mentions that Squadron has an "unfortunate" menu to say the least. I have on more than one occasion been put of by this fact, and shopped elsewhere instead.

• 4 months later...