Hi All,

I'll be in Winnipeg on business for a few days in March and since there is no hobby store where I live now I try to check out other hobby stores when I travel.

According to FSM's shop finder Winnipeg has the below Hobby Shops. Does anyone know which ones are better or worse? Are there others?

CELLAR DWELLER HOBBY LTD

SPARETIME HOBBIES INC

ELMWOOD HOBBY WORKS

WARE HOUSE HOBBIES

GOOCH'S HOBBIES

Thanks,

Denis

Hey Denis

I am from Winnipeg and I usually do all my shopping at Gooch's. Cellar Dweller has the best prices on paint and the second biggest model selection next to Gooch's. Tiger Hobby is a tiny little hole in the wall place but has tons of little hard to find stuff and a giant decal binder. All three places are pretty good regardless of what scale you build.

Gooch's has a new location at the corner of Portage Ave and Garfield Street South so if you are staying downtown you want to head towards Polo Park Shopping Center and it will be on your left across from the RCMP building.

Tiger Hobby is further down Portage Ave turn left on Rouge Ave and left on Browning it is in a little strip mall. They have tons of books too.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anymore info.

Graeme

Edited by mz826

Awesome. Thanks for the reply Graeme.

At the moment I am most interested in getting some AM stuff for my Tomcats (all scales) so Tiger Hobby sounds like the place to hit. After that I want to get a few more colours of Vallejo Model Air so I hope I can hit all three stores you mentioned. Now, if I see a kit or two on sale I may be tempted to buy.

Cheers,

Denis

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

CELLAR DWELLER HOBBY LTD - not a large model kit selection, mainly the flying type

SPARETIME HOBBIES INC - ok number of kits, not a lot of new stuff, good selection of paints (slot cars is their thing)

ELMWOOD HOBBY WORKS - hole in the wall, mainly r/r stuff and draperies (yes draperies on the other half of the store)

GOOCH'S HOBBIES - about this City's best hobby shop. Fair prices, not an overly abundant selection of kit, but a very good selection of paint (for Winnipeg)

You really want a good hobby shop with a crap load of kits (old, hard to find and new), then you need to hit Uncle Bills Hobby in Calgary.

Edited by Big Kohona
  • 5 years later...
22 hours ago, ridinshotgun said:

So to bring this back to the top are these places till open?  I will be in town for a week or two and had thought about checking out the local model stores.

Sorry to say, a few have closed their doors.

Warehouse Hobbies and Cellar Dweller remain open according to Google.

However a new store has opened, called Hobby Sense, (34-845 Dakota St, Winnipeg MB), which according to friends & family who reside in the 'peg has a decent selection.

They have a web-store as well:

https://hobbysense.ca/