1/48 RoG B-17F Lulu Belle

Hey Unc, all four engines on the B-17 (almost all American engines) turned the same way (Clockwise). The Monogram kit is 100% correct on that issue.

Yeh, this is whut I thought as well 'til I saw all those confusin' piccies I mentioned ya 'bout. The root of all my confusion... :jaw-dropping:

Don't know where you got the idea that there were counter-rotating props.

There's even a book by artist Rikyu Watanabe where I saw a drawin' of a B-17 seen from behind, 'n' the screws were circled with an arrow showin' the way they turned: port side clockwise 'n' starboard side counter-clockwise. :worship:

The Merlin engine, designed in England, turned opposite. The engines on the P-38 were counter-rotating but that was it for most common US aircraft of WW II. Can't speak for British radials or Luftwaffe. HTH

Oh, nay... Merlins were inline; no chance to ever be puzzled by that. Highly doubt any B-17s abroad in England had been fitted with British radial engines, even if these engines were counter-rotating, huh? Although I did learn that some P-38s in England were retrofitted with engines rotatin' in the same way so that they were interchangeable.

Thanks a lot, mate! :D

Cheers now,

Unc²

Merlins run the same as all other US engines, counter-clockwise when standing in front of the airplane. I dont know any that dont other than one engine on the lightning. Even most german and japanese engines ran that way, the russians and italians where the much more common to run opposite from what I've learned.

• 1 month later...

I'm still plugging away Mark, actually I have the nose painted, and started working on the detail last night, ammo boxes, interphone boxes, fire extinguishers ect........ I promise I'll post some pictures soon. BTW, I've changed my bird from the Memphis Belle to Lulu Belle.....still a Belle, so whatever :D

Edited by rightwinger26
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I have surfaced from the shadows with an update, with pictures!!! I know I have disappeared for a while, but, I've been busy, lets see, bathroom leak, followed with water damaged kitchen cieling, followed a really "fun" at sea period, plus some side projects of things I can actually finish in a reasonable amount of time, but hey, I'm still plugging away.

First the side projects

Tamiya Wilcat, oob except ignition leads

100_1236.jpg

100_1234.jpg

and now for the Belle

not a very good picture, but you can see the cover for the bombdoor linkage and a few other bits

100_1252.jpg

again, not a good picture, but the fire extinuisher, .30 call ammo cans in racks, and the .50 call ammo box

100_1251.jpg

better pictures opened up

100_1250.jpg

100_1249.jpg

100_1248.jpg

its some progress, still LOTS of bits a pieces left to be made for the nose, like the navigators table, a random map, interphone boxes, navigator stuff, paint the forward floor a nice wood grain.............

Thanks for looking, Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Damn...one more thing I just caught. Before you close the fuse, check the fit of the windows in the nose. I had a lot of problem after adding the ribbing in there with window fit. Wasnt fun cutting out some of what I put in there. Unless you have another plan for the windows.

thanks for the tip, will do. I am using the kit windows for now, gonna cut the little edges on the WAY down, my plan is to make the framing flush on three sides and a little high on the top, put the bottom in first, the raise the top in place. I am so far from gluing the halves together. Next is the under cockpit are, then the cockpit, bomb bay, radio shack, ect... until I get to the back, frame by frame. No way this will even meet the extension, not unless the navy gives me the next 5 months off.......doubtful. I am gonna move this thread to the props forum when the time comes, does anyone know how to do that by the way??

Sounds great... as for moving the thread over, it's a matter of requesting the move through the top end of the Totem Pole (either one of the Steves would be able to help).

But you know, once you move it... NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Cheers,

Mark.

haha, I'm not even gonna try to move it till you say "all contestants, hands up!". I'm just gonna keep plugging away and build what I can. I'm also working on an LT-6G, but I'm at everyones least favorite part, filling and sanding:( By the way, I'll be at sea again in the near future, but not for nearly as long this time.

So Mark, are you a Winnipeg fan now? My old lady is by default, new household rivalry:)

I've been thinking. Since some of you guys are on your second, third, or eight Fort, I may just build a G OOB, with only adding a Chyenne tail mod. That way I can add something less time consuming to the gallery

NMF!!!!!

yup, I was thinking the Bit O Lace decal set from KW, love that yellow tail and green stripes. Need to do some reasearch on that ship tonight. Hmmm, here is a question, why does the Air Force call thier planes ships, and in the navy we call our planes birds. I get that the navy having two kinds of "ships" would be confusing, just odd I think :D

Does the Air Force call all planes ships?

I've never heard it other than large bombers which may be why they call it that. Anything that had more than 2 people on board could have been known as a ship due to it's size? I've never heard of a P-51 or P-47 or anything else of the fighter size referred to as a ship.

Whereas the Navy doesn't have any truly "large" aircraft. Sure they used 17s and 24s and such but were they called "birds" back then or ships also?

Edited by Bigasshammm

Well, we call our a/c birds now, say we may be talking and say "we have 4 birds going out at 1000". I've also talked to A-10 ground crews at a recent work trip to an air force base that were talkin about prepping thier ships. I dunno, one of the great mystries of the world

So here is a quick update tonight, some light scratch building, the navigators radio nav equipment and a ew other bits, gonna add the wiring tomorrow. I still haven't gotten around to repainting the fire extinguisher, it looks so pretty there :D This weekend is gonna be it for my update for a little while, I'll be heading to the boat again, but we are only gone for a little bit, and then get shot off the pointy end to come home. Speaking of the Big Navy, I was cruising Sprue Bros tonight and not only found my decals for Miss Lace, but also found decals for VFA-106 squadron history, really cool since I "sea" the dark blue Charlie and 114 everyday, so I'm for sure buying those to start a mass build. I was actually running maintenance when we pulled 114 out of the paint hanger at 2 in the morning, then a few weeks later it went down for 7 weeks cause it had a crack in an engine door, and we couldn't put a door from another jet on because it didnt have the pretty paint job. Just a little aviation tid bit for those who care or might build models of that bird. Now for the pics

beer cap for scale

100_1258.jpg

over the period photo, as best as I can tell this is an F in photo, if I'm wrong I'll gladly do the sugerey to fix it, critics welcome please, Karl :)

100_1260.jpg

closer image

100_1261.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P.S. GO TIGERS..........get ready LIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rightwinger26

started working on the wiring, started getting a little frustrated over dumb things, so I'm taking a break from scratch building today before I really mess something up. But I am gonna spray the interior of miss Lace, I'll throw some pictures up on the other thread later.

RE your post 121, yep that is an F. The Radio Compass receiver and relay box were moved to the lower fuselage roughly below the copilot in the G. Mark has them in his LMM build. If it's not too late, that bulkhead would have had the fabric covering. Polly Scale French Khaki is a reasonable approximation. Looking very nice!