I would like to enter my second project for this GB. It is the 1/48 Monogram F9F-5 Panther and I will be finishing it in the same NMF and Gloss Sea Blue as the bird in my sig block.

Darwin

100_1865.jpg

100_1860.jpg

100_1853.jpg

Edited by yardbird78
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished my RF-84F for the Recce Group Build a few days ago, so now it is back to the F9F-5 Panther. I painted the interior details, added nose weight, glued the fuselage halves together and added the wings and stabs. It needed some putty on the upper nose joint and one little spot underneath. I sanded everything smooth, down to 2400 grit sandpaper, meticulously cleaned everything and applied two coats of Future. I misted on a coat of Alclad II, Duraluminum and then after a couple minutes, came back with a heavier coat. It actually turned out rather well. It was dry to the touch after only about 15 minutes, but I plan to wait at least a couple of days before handling it anymore. It will have to be masked off for the Gloss Sea Blue tail, then the decals applied and the pylons & ordnance added.

Darwin

100_2002.jpg

100_2003.jpg

100_2004.jpg

I masked off some panels and sprayed them slightly different shades of Alclad. The nose is burned metal and the fuselage panels are chrome aluminum. I was rather surprised when the masking tape pulled off a small amount of the first coat of Alclad in couple of places.

Darwin

masked and ready for paint

100_2010.jpg

done

100_2016.jpg

100_2019.jpg

bottom view

100_2021.jpg

This kit went together very well with excellent parts fit and only two issues. The fragile nose guns must be installed prior to closing up the fuselage and the two inside ones stick out quite a ways. Of course, I broke them off while building the plane and the carpet monster had them for a snack. The upper nose from the windscreen to the tip had a rather large step that had to be filled and sanded smooth. I used Alclad II, Duraluminum for the basic finish with Polished Aluminum for some panels and Burnt Iron on the nose. Model Master Gloss Sea Blue went on the empennage. The decals are from Repli-Scale sheet # SP-001 and they went on quite well. This sheet does not contain the word NAVY for the aft fuselage or the round warning circles for the tip tanks, so I had to use the ones from the kit decals. The carrier film was very milky when applied and I had to use several applications of Micro-Sol to get rid of it. The ordnance is from the kit and I used strips cut from a yellow decal sheet for the nose stripes.

The story of The Blue Tail Fly is quoted fromSquadron Signal, F9F Panther/Cougar, In Action # 1051.

"The Blue Tail Fly was a unique combination of two different F9F-5s. Both aircraft belonged to VF-153 aboard the USS Princeton. The story of The Blue Tail Fly goes that a Lt Richard (Stretch) Clinite was flying an experimental natural metal finish F9F-5 when he was hit by Communist flak and tail section of the aircraft was badly riddled, but he managed to get the Panther back aboard. In the meantime, Ens William Wilds, Jr. brought back a heavily damaged standard Glossy Sea Blue finish F9F-5 with its rear section intact. After mating the two airframes, The Blue Tail Fly was born. It flew 12 missions in that configuration before being returned to the States for rebuilding."

100_2044.jpg

100_2057.jpg

100_2070.jpg

100_2073.jpg

The Blue Tail Fly with an F9F-5P reconnaissance bird. Both are 1/48th Monogram kits.

100_2080.jpg

100_2065.jpg

The three builds that I have completed since the first of the year.

100_2067.jpg

Beautiful work on the silver Panther and a unique story of the origins of the two tone paint job. Your three models represent quite lot of work for less than 3 months. They are all very nice.

Grandma L