The travelling goodies box aka MAFIA Box

Inspired by my SWMBO's own hobby and the forum she visits, I have an idea to make use of those un-used hobby accessories (resin, decals, etc) in our collection: the traveling goodies box.

The basic idea is to send around a box of stuff. Each participant takes something from the box, and put something back in, then send to the next guy on the list.

Inspired by ARC's own Canadian Modeling Mafia (DONG, EMVAR, Phantom and others), I am naming this box the "Mafia Box"

Here are the steps and the exact way of how it works:

1) Someone volunteers to coordinate logistics (that'd be me if no one else objects)

2) A bunch of participants sign up. We can use this thread as a sign-up board.

3) The volunteer compiles a list of participants, grouping those in close states/provinces

4) The volunteer starts by putting *goodies into the Mafia box along with an inventory list.

5) Mail the box to the next participant

6) Next participant receives the box, take X number of items from box, contributes at least another X amount of items to the box.

7) Update inventory list in the box.

8) repeat step 5

The ground rules:

- Participants are limited to Canada only in order to save on postage. Other countries are free to start their own box.

- You are not required to take anything from the box, but if you do, you HAVE to contribute at least the same number of items AND update the inventory list

- Do not put liquid chemicals into the box (glue, paints etc)

What counts as "goodies"

- new, un-used resin detail sets (cockpits, wheels etc)

- new, un-used photo etch sets

- slightly cut decal sheets (kit or aftermarket)

- new, parts-complete kits

- any supplies that is safe to be mailed (see ground rules)

The rule of thumb is if you can trade/sell it without much difficulty, it can go into the box

What does NOT count as "goodies"

- sawed off resin casting blocks

- half-started kits

- incomplete kits or detail sets

- cut decal sheets

FAQ

Q: What's the point of this exercise?

A: The point is to circulate our collective un-used hobby accessories that's been rotting in our stashes.

Q: Why don't I just sell my un-used stuff?

A: You can, and you should. But this box is for the very minor stuff that's too much of a hassle to sell individually (ie you wouldn't put a Tamiya F-16 into the box).

Q: What's in it for me?

A: Get rid of old stuff, and get new stuff without spending much money.

Q: Do I have to contribute something?

A: Only if you take stuff from the box.

Q: What's the cost?

A: The only cost is mailing the box to the next participant once you're done with it.

Let me know if you are in Canada and is interested in this. Feel free to ask any questions. I will volunteer to plan logistics, and start the box of goodies if there are at least 12 participants.

Cheers,

Terry

Particpants, in order of box circulation

-----------------------------

loftycomfort (Toronto, ON)

phantom (Toronto, ON)

Emvar (Toronto, ON)

DONG (London, ON)

Justin86 (London, ON)

Is it windy yet (Kingston, ON)

Charlie Cheetah (Moncton, NB)

taylorde (Bridgewater, NS)

rm20886 (Coquitlam, BC)

Scooby (Edmonton, AB)

Kostucha (Winnipeg, MB)

Winnie (Winnipeg, MB)

Edited by loftycomfort

Here I thought I was being original! I proposed that same thing over on AgapeModels.com last year and we now have four separate PGBs (Progressive Goodie Box) in flight.

In mine, though, I included partial decal sheets, extra vac-form canopies, spare resin parts, etc.

I hope yours is a big success!

Cheers,

Eric

This sounds very cool. I'd be in if anyone wants to start a US box.

I've got several items that I'm not going to use that could go in there.

What could we call our's?

John

John,

You're free to start a US box in a separate thread. Thx

Terry

I'm in .

Don

Got it, Don.

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort

Well, we can save a little postage. You give it to me at AV world. I give it to Don or Elmo or Winnie on our next trade, they the same thing. One of us can find Tony some where, then off it goes .

I'm in....

Very good idea. The Mob Box..... fill it with Chement.... :rofl:

Terry I would add partial decal sheets and unused resin only because sometimes you just need that one bit or that one stencil that was FUBARed. A good place to discuss this would be at Heritagecon. And yeah I like the idea Shawn has too sometimes you just don't need to post it but hand it off.

:whistle:

Emil

Edited by Emvar
Terry I would add partial decal sheets and unused resin only because sometimes you just need that one bit or that one stencil that was FUBARed. A good place to discuss this would be at Heritagecon. And yeah I like the idea Shawn has too sometimes you just don't need to post it but hand it off.

:cheers:

Emil

Emil,

The reason I am against having partial sheets is I don't want it turning into a floating scrap box. When that happens, it becomes extremely hard to keep inventory, and there's no way to keep track of things taken out and put back in.

We can discuss in details in Hamilton. And I have put your name on the list (see first post).

See my name on the list! THANKS!!

I'm in.

(Don, sorry did not forget but was in bed sick... WE're still on).

Cheers

H.

Your name is on the list now.

Cheers,

Terry

This is a great concept, on the partials I'd be inclined not to worry about Replacements as these would be pure donations. Where full sheets and full sets would have to be replaced.

I know I have a stash of partials that would be never used but someone might need something so I would be not worried about keeping track. Kinda like Shawn, Don, and Tony...... The kits are pretty much kept at Don's place when someone needs one we replace the kit....... later Don gets it back...... I kid you not when Shawn says a kit has been in all our stashes more than once.

Evolution will happen and I have some stuff I can donate.

:bandhead2:

Emil

How big is the box? Shipping in Canada can be expensive. I have lots of 1/48 bombs & some decals I could throw in.

DaveTaylor

Nova Scotia

Dave,

I'm thinking of using a standard box that CanPost sells at their post offices. Medium size, but the content should be light. So are you in?

Terry

• SBARC unpinned this topic