the 'Merican travelling goodies box

Annnnnnddddddd now we're startin' up a posse. LOL

it was his birthday, maybe he's in a jail in Mexico?

BTW, got another guy that wants to be added in Seminole, Alabama. I'd say we stick him in there after the Florida guys just before it heads West to me. I'll send his info to WilliamG.

John

Annnnnnddddddd now we're startin' up a posse. LOL

it was his birthday, maybe he's in a jail in Mexico?

BTW, got another guy that wants to be added in Seminole, Alabama. I'd say we stick him in there after the Florida guys just before it heads West to me. I'll send his info to WilliamG.

John

John,

If you could, please forward the info to me as well. I keep a master list and will be printing a new list here when it gets to me again (hopefully soon).

Dax, how are we looking? Has it made it out?

Terribly sorry guys, past week or so been a bit hectic. I've got bail covered and am out now, had some issue with border patrol when they suspiciously searched the travelling box of goodies, but with my rapier like wit and cat like ninja reflexes I was able to make it back this side of the border, box intact and all.

In all seriousness, I've got my donations and everything sorted away, I just need to update the list tonight and I'll get the other half to hit the post office tomorrow. I'll be sure to post tracking/confirmation information as well.

BTW... I was just at a Border's closing, all books 90% off. I'm not a B-29 fan, but came across a Warbird Tech Series book and grabbed it just for the sake of having. Got me thinking, and I apologize if this was discussed previously, but how do we feel about reference materials in the form of books? Size and weight being within reasonable limitations (squadron walk arounds, in actions, etc.)?

Thanks for your patience all!

Chris

Shawn, I'm thinking so. When are you leaving/coming back? Probably better for me to just make sure that it arrives before (if possible) you leave or just after you get back (probably the easier of the two). Let me know what works best for you.

We could also leapfrog Shawn and then have Jason send it to RB211 then to Shawn then down to whiskey.

Dax- OK

Jason- MA

RB211 -OH

Shawn MO

Wh1skea --TN

It's a slight juggling of the list, but geographically it seems to make sense and it will keep the box moving.

John

Im leaving Thursday after work, returning Sunday night.

I do have someone coming to check on our cat sat night however.

So if it arrives thursday we're good, or sunday.

Sorry to be a pita, just want it to be safe, I do live in a nice part of town so it wont get stolen.

Shawn, no problem at all and certainly not a pita; if anything, the few extra days I've taken to get the box to its next stop is to blame. I'd be more worried about weather than anything else, supposed to get storms all weekend (I'm not sure where you're at in MO). Unless there's a reasonable overnight shipping option ( :monkeydance: ) I'll get it at your house on Monday.

On the matter of reference material, I think smaller stuff like Squadron In Action type books or similar is okay, we just don't want to be putting some monster 300 page hardcover in there as it would soon be cost prohibitive to ship due to weight. It does produce a conundrum as to how to determine what a book like that is worth in trade for something of kit/resin type.

If we had that much interest, we could start a separate book and reference material only box and ship it media mail which is dirt cheap. I think it has to be ONLY media in the package to qualify as media mail and YES, the USPS does check. I think we may get away with decals and books but not any kits or other accessories.

Shawn, do you think you'd be able to turn the box around on Monday and get it out if it gets to your place before you get back on Sunday? We could have it go to RB211 and he could send it to Shawn and then it could continue on the original order.

Jason,

Im not even getting home till sunday night, honestly with work on monday there is no way I could turn it around that quickly.

If its at my house monday, I will shoot to have it back out on wed. to the next ARC'er.

I've got Sebastian's info. Once the box gets back to me completing the first loop I'll get him worked into the mix on the list. He is in Georgia so he will probably drop in before the box makes it's way to Florida on the next trip.

I have put together a list of the basic guidelines we had initially discussed and put together concerning the traveling goodies box. We have had several new guys come on board, so I figured I’d go ahead and elaborate to keep the newbies clear on the process and guidelines. Things have been relatively smooth thus far, if anyone thinks we needs to add any other guidelines or amend some, post here and we can all discuss. I think transparency with all those involved with this little endeavor is the key to keeping everything moving along successfully.

• 1. Box should be shipped with a delivery confirmation option to ensure we know where the box is and when it is delivered to a member.
  • 2. We should strive to turn the box around as quickly as possible once we receive it as to be fair to all involved. If you think you are going to be unable to turn the box around in a week or less, please let everyone know and we may skip that stop temporarily and revise the order of shipping to accommodate so we can keep the box moving. We won’t skip a particular person completely, just drop them in the order (it would simply show up after stopping at another member or two first). As we all know, life has a way of creeping in and things come up in everyone’s life, we all understand and we can certainly accept that, but we want to be fair to all involved. Clear communication will go a long way here.
  • 3. We should be taking out no more than we're putting in (in terms of intrinsic value). If you put in a resin set, take out a resin set etc. Putting in more than you take out is fine, but obviously we want to try to be fair in the exchanges of items.
  • 4. Kits are okay as long as complete or any deficiencies noted. Missing decals are okay, but missing parts (unless optional - weapons or extra parts for instance) for an aircraft is generally not acceptable.
  • 5. Partial decal sheets are fine as long as we have at least one complete set of markings for one aircraft on multi aircraft sheets.
  • 6. When you ship the box out, please post the tracking/delivery confirmation number and what items were taken out and what items you put into the box so everyone can stay up to date with everything. If anyone needs help with posting the stuff, they can message me and I’ll be happy to help them out. I keep a master list of everyone’s address as well as a master inventory. Every time it passes my way I will update these and print them to put in the box before I send it on its way.

Okay, so I’m a project manager and spent several years as an NCO in the Army, can you tell? :) In all seriousness, I’m not trying to run the show single handedly here, just trying to make sure there are no misunderstandings or issues with the process. Again, staying active in this topic and letting everyone know what is going on with the box is the key here.

What are the thoughts on reference material as brought up by Dax? I am okay with Squadron type books and smaller/thin soft cover books but think we should avoid large, thick soft cover and hard cover types to preserve weight. What does everyone think?

Thanks for posting this. As a newbie, this answered alot of my questions.

How about back issues of FSM, SAM and the like? Also, what about small tools like scribers,Touch N' Flows etc?

Thanks

Aaron

I've always wanted to try a touch n flow. So if you want to throw one in there, I'm cool with it. :) I'd say tools are cool.

I have an idea on the references because we might get into alot of weight if we all start loading it up. What about listing any references that you might want to throw in there here and if someone shoots a message requesting that particular issue, throw it in.

Or, we could have a separate box for just references and just send that one media mail. I'm actually partial to this idea.

John

Hey guys, the package is on its way to Shawn, ETA Mon-Tues. DC 0311 0240 0001 8052 1738 (USPS).

I had already packed the book, before there was any more discussion on the reference materials. I figured the one couldn't hurt till someone grabbed it. I can go anyway on the book issue, by the way, so will go with the majority on that. My only gripe would be that media mail can be so sllloooooooooooooooooow.........

EDIT: I printed and included the changes to inventory, but not sure I saved a copy. I'll post as soon as I can find it or type up another one.

Edited by Dax
Or, we could have a separate box for just references and just send that one media mail. I'm actually partial to this idea.

John, this was one of the ideas I floated in one of my posts above. The media mail thing is very cheap for the weight involved typically, we could probably be shipping a decent size and weight box for $5 or less as long as it is just books/magazines. I think we may get away with decals in a box like that, but probably not much else.

I have a couple of books I could certainly pitch in with. We could have the same basic guidelines as the goodies box.

Cool, I'll round up a few references that I'm not using very often and start them moving. Monday or Tuesday.

Two that will go in there are:

Tracks in Vietnam

Hind reference book (I forgot the exact title)

any of you guys have any huey or armor references you don't need?

John

Cool, I'll round up a few references that I'm not using very often and start them moving. Monday or Tuesday.

Two that will go in there are:

Tracks in Vietnam

Hind reference book (I forgot the exact title)

any of you guys have any huey or armor references you don't need?

John

Are you a big armor guy John? I am as I spent several years as an Abrams crewman and have several armor references. I'll take a look at what I've got and see if I have anything I can spare for armor stuff.

Oh, and I have your buddy's mailing address and everybody is plugged into the new list. What is your friends user name so I can update that info for the new list?

Box is on it's way to Shawn now and then to RB211 before it makes it's way back to me. I have the updated mailing order and all the new addresses added to the master list and I have a printed copy that I will put in with my new stuff to add to the box.

Speaking of RB211, has anybody seen him recently? Is he still interested?

Edited by JasonW
  • SBARC unpinned this topic