1/48 HobbyBoss F-14A Tomcat

After reading about other modeller's impressions of HobbyBoss' attempt at the Tomcat in 48th scale I couldn't resist but had to get one for myself.

True, I have a Tamiya Tomcat in the works but so far that one has involved too much detailing/correcting and too little painting. Oh yes, I am a bit frustrated... :lol:

I want a project that (hopefully...) will let me get to the painting stage a little sooner.

Having said that, I'm not sure this project will make any faster progress as there are other things crowding my workbench as well - just as most of us I guess... :rolleyes:

I can only say that the HB kit makes an impressive package in the box, and it's a big box!

IMHO, the rivets were not too overwhelming after all, but what about the profile of those air intakes? :unsure:

For anyone interested I have done a little bit of comparison between the Hasegawa and HobbyBoss kits and to my eye there is indeed a slight discrepancy in how the two kits capture this area. As noted elsewhere, this error seem to be carried over from the 1/32nd scale Trumpeter Tomcat.

But just to sort out any possible confusion about where the error is located, here is a picture of the real thing:

hbf-14a001.jpg

(I hope posting a pic of the front cover of this book is not a violation of copyright.)

As can be seen, the red lines marking the lower intake lip and upper leading edge (correct word?) should be just about (or perhaps exactly) parallell to each other.

(Please feel free to correct me if I have made a wrong assumption here...)

Hasegawa:

hbf-14a002.jpg

HobbyBoss:

hbf-14a003.jpg

Right or wrong, using the HA kit as the benchmark I proceeded to put HA and HB against each other, which revealed that the angle of the upper edge are identical for both kits:

hbf-14a009.jpg

I suppose this means that it is mainly the angle of the lower lip that is off.

While not apparent in this pic, without measuring with callipers and relying on the Mk I eyeball I found the width of the intake trunks to be about the same.

The HB trunks look a bit narrow in cross section compared to HA because of the excessive thickness of the plastic:

hbf-14a004.jpg

I still haven't decided if I want to do anything about the error on the angle of the lower intake lip.

But IMHO, based on what I have seen in the box - and from other build reports - I do feel that the HB Tomcat has too much going for it to let the issue of the intakes be a deciding factor against it. Again, this is just my humble opinon.

If I should decide to do something about the intakes, I lean towards doing as much as possible with some sanding around the intake lip.

Here is a pic that is not too clear but hopefully explains what I hope to achieve:

hbf-14a005.jpg

By thinning down the lip around the entire intake there will also be an opportunity to remove enough plastic (red areas) in the lower corners to sort of twist angle of the lower lip, hopefully making the error somewhat smaller.

Sanding the outside of the trunk would of course mean that a few panel lines (and rivets...) will have to be restored in this area:

hbf-14a006.jpg

Hopefully the removed plastic on the outside of the intake will not be too much to transform the general shape of the inteake trunk.

Any and all thoughts about my comparison above are most welcome. :unsure:

I intend to build this kit straight from the box in order to get to the painting stage as soon as possible.

Hwever, with a half-built Hasegawa Tomcat (starring in the comparison above) sitting on the "shelf of doom" I found a few items that could be thrown in, like an Aires cockpit set with a pair of excellent looking seats.

In line with keeping this build simple I will not try to install the Aires cockpit tub in this kit but those seats should be easy enough to use.

As with most (if not all?) kit and aftermarket seats for the F-14 noone has included the locally made extra cushions just about always found on the real thing.

Not much to do but to sculpt them yourself... :)

hbf-14a007.jpg

(Typical for Aires, there was also some transport damage present on the seats so some replacement details will have to be scratched...)

I didn't bother to remove the ribbed cushions but instead made sure the new cushions would cover them completely.

The cushions completed:

hbf-14a008.jpg

Seatbelts are next, unless I decide to work on the rest of the kit cockpit instead.

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Hi Anders!

Great to see you back in the modeling saddle again! That Tamiya kit almost did me in as well and it almost hit the wall a few times, but the end result was worth it-at least for me.

I've seen some really good results with the HobbyBoss kit, so I'm all over this build with your great skills. I'll be tracking this one!

After reading about other modeller's impressions of HobbyBoss' attempt at the Tomcat in 48th scale I couldn't resist but had to get one for myself.

True, I have a Tamiya Tomcat in the works but so far that one has involved too much detailing/correcting and too little painting. Oh yes, I am a bit frustrated... I want a project that (hopefully...) will let me get to the painting stage a little sooner.

Hi Anders, I feel your frustration and fully understand the desire to get some paint on a Tomcat. Besides, it'll be good practice for when you manage to get back to your larger version.
hbf-14a003.jpg

Cheers,

Anders

:whistle: Eww......now that is just ugly!

Hmmm, since you have to thin the lip anyway, I wonder whether careful sanding of that fat intake lip might help with the shape issues? If you sanded the inside of the lowest area and the outside of the highest region and kind of met in the middle would that be enough to get the lip to be parallel? (or is that what you just said above......... :woot.gif: )

The new seat cushions look superb. Looking forward to the addition of the belts and then seeing some colour on those bad boys. :bandhead2:

:rolleyes:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks Manuel, Chuck and Guy! :)

Great to see you back in the modeling saddle again! That Tamiya kit almost did me in as well and it almost hit the wall a few times, but the end result was worth it-at least for me.

Hi Anders, I feel your frustration and fully understand the desire to get some paint on a Tomcat. Besides, it'll be good practice for when you manage to get back to your larger version.

Yes, since you all have experience of wrestling the Tamiya Tomcat you certainly know where I am coming from... ;)

:D Eww......now that is just ugly!

Hmmm, since you have to thin the lip anyway, I wonder whether careful sanding of that fat intake lip might help with the shape issues? If you sanded the inside of the lowest area and the outside of the highest region and kind of met in the middle would that be enough to get the lip to be parallel? (or is that what you just said above......... :cheers: )

Exactly the solution I am pondering, Guy, only you spelled it out much better than I managed to explain. :)

I think I need to try out if sanding to arrive at a better angle could be a good enough solution.

And you are absolutely right on the thickness of those air intake lips, they really need a bit of refinement. Will see what I can do.

Currently working on the cockpit...

Cheers,

Anders

Anders:

Excellent presentation and looking forward to your build. I recently received a HB tomcat in the mail and was very impressed with the look of the kit. I had the same sanding idea for the intakes and look forward to seeing how this ide works for you

-Cliff

Thanks Cliff, Marcin and EX Birdgunner! :)

Tonight I started on one of the intakes.

hbf-14a009b.jpg

Nothing is finished yet but so far I am not sure the sanding will be enough to correct the angle.

Perhaps some extra plastic will need to be added in the corners, but I will have to sand some more before deciding what to do - if anything. :unsure:

hbf-14a010.jpg

Ah well, there are always intake covers... :cheers:

As expected, some work will be needed here to restore the outside.

hbf-14a011.jpg

Not much has happened on the cockpit but still I feel I will soon be ready for some painting.

Just in case I removed the casting blocks from the Aires seats and test-fitted them in the tub.

It turned out to be a tight fit but they will both go in OK! :thumbsup:

hbf-14a012.jpg

Just a word on the decals I plan to use, I will probably go for either a Tomcat from VF-103 Sluggers or from VF-301 Devil's Disciples.

Either way it will (of course...) be a low-viz Tomcat.

hbf-14a013.jpg

The new Afterburner VF-103 sheet is very impressive, but on the other hand I am curious on how the VF-301 bird would turn out.

Plus, with the latter being a reserve squadron I probably can go with a relatively 'clean' cofiguration and even skip the auxilary tanks as these does not seem to be carried by the land-based squadrons.

As usual I find it difficult to decide...

Cheers,

Anders

have you picked or know what BLOCK of tomcat your doing yet ? or would the decals deside that

Not decided on which particular block, but on the other hand I have decided to stick with the cockpit HB provides in the box.

A quite prominent feature is of course the style of gun gas vent, as it looks like the style in the box is fine for VF-103 but the VF-301 looks like it would need the earlier 7-hole vent. I may have a solution for that though, will have to see how it goes.

Then there are the style of hub for the main wheels, will have to look into that a little more but I may go with the what HB provides here also.

If I understand correctly the HB wheel hubs are of the mid style, but IIRC the line between early/mid/late is a bit hazy... :)

Cheers,

Anders

Thanks Kristian, catfan, POMPEO and FEDE! :jaw-dropping:

look at steel beach he makes the 7 hole gas gun vent door you need and some other parts in 1/48 for the tomcat

Yep, I already have one of these on the way (from Sprue Brothers) but thanks for the tip!

I made some comparisons with the Hasegawa vent panel and decided to try the SB panel designed for this kit (instead of the one designed for Revell-Monogram).

Unfortunately the SB chinpod set was currently sold out but I will borrow what I need from a Hasegawa kit.

From what I can see HB only provide the early (smaller) chinpod without the TCS lens.

About the intake problem, I have sanded away a little more and feel that it might be enough to do the trick in correcting the angle of the lower lip.

Will try to get some pics up soon.

Cheers,

Anders

A few pics of the first intake that I have modified.

I found it a bit difficult to accurately capture the change of angle with my camera but at this stage I am quite satisfied with the outcome.

All in all about 15 minutes of sanding that I feel makes a big difference to the overall appearance of this area.

There is perhaps still a slight difference in the two angles but still I feel the intake lip is now pretty close.

hbf-14a014.jpg

(The arrow points to where there still is a slight gap present as the upper and lower halves are not yet glued together, and this might affect the angle of the upper leading edge.)

hbf-14a015.jpg

The difference in thickness between the two intake lips shown from another angle:

hbf-14a016.jpg

If even more change of angle would be required it might be an alternative to go a completely different route from outset.

This is just an idea, but should involve a saw to make a cut along the outside of the intake. Something like this:

hbf-14a017.jpg

The resulting gap would have to be closed by squeezing the upper and lower parts together.

With a little filling, sanding and rescribing the exterior could then be restored.

Any and all thoughts on the above modification are most welcome.

Cheers,

Anders

If even more change of angle would be required it might be an alternative to go a completely different route from outset.

This is just an idea, but should involve a saw to make a cut along the outside of the intake. Something like this:

The resulting gap would have to be closed by squeezing the upper and lower parts together.

With a little filling, sanding and rescribing the exterior could then be restored.

Any and all thoughts on the above modification are most welcome.

Cheers,

Anders

Great idea on the cut and squeeze option. The thinner intake is a big improvement by its self. What are your thoughts about adding a small shim aong the inside edge of each intake? It could start at the leading edge and then fade away about half way bak so that it dosen't impact the attachment area at the rear of the intake part and main fuselage section. The shim would be pretty small considering the work you've done so far. Would this impact how the internal ramps fit?

-Cliff

Great idea on the cut and squeeze option. The thinner intake is a big improvement by its self. What are your thoughts about adding a small shim aong the inside edge of each intake? It could start at the leading edge and then fade away about half way bak so that it dosen't impact the attachment area at the rear of the intake part and main fuselage section. The shim would be pretty small considering the work you've done so far. Would this impact how the internal ramps fit?

-Cliff

Thanks, Cliff!

Sounds like a good idea and I have considered this as a possible solution, but (unless I misunderstand your suggestion) this would probably involve some filling and sanding along the inside of the intakes to make the shim blend in - very much like working with the Hasegawa intake assemblies. So I dropped the idea, for now anyway.

EDIT: Or perhaps you meant adding a shim where the intake attach to the fuselage?

hbf-14a018.jpg

In that case, apologies for the misunderstanding.

However, that might also be a good solution - thanks! Will have to make some more trials to see how it looks.

LOL, when taking a second look at the pic below the difference in angles between the original and modified intake is not too obvious... :)

hbf-14a015.jpg

However, the corrected angle is easier to make out IRL (hmm... think I will have to go and have another look).

Cheers,

Anders

Thanks, Cliff!

Sounds like a good idea and I have considered this as a possible solution, but (unless I misunderstand your suggestion) this would probably involve some filling and sanding along the inside of the intakes to make the shim blend in - very much like working with the Hasegawa intake assemblies. So I dropped the idea, for now anyway.

EDIT: Or perhaps you meant adding a shim where the intake attach to the fuselage?

hbf-14a018.jpg

In that case, apologies for the misunderstanding.

However, that might also be a good solution - thanks! Will have to make some more trials to see how it looks.

LOL, when taking a second look at the pic below the difference in angles between the original and modified intake is not too obvious... :thumbsup:

hbf-14a015.jpg

However, the corrected angle is easier to make out IRL (hmm... think I will have to go and have another look).

Cheers,

Anders

Yes, where the intakes attach to the fuselage is what I was thinking about. I have another project to finish before I dig into my cat but I've been eying the parts on the trees and watching your progress.

-Cliff

Yes, where the intakes attach to the fuselage is what I was thinking about. I have another project to finish before I dig into my cat but I've been eying the parts on the trees and watching your progress.

-Cliff

Cliff, I had a brief look at doing as per your suggestion and I am afraid it might be a bit of filling needed (as you mentioned) along the entire inner 'corner' of the intake where it meet the bottom fuselage, which in turn runs at a few different angles along the entire seam. It can definately be done but I am still leaning towards leaving it as is for this build.

Either way, I am looking forward to see your HB Tomcat build soon! :thumbsup:

Had a final go at the first intake, below is a better view of the difference achieved with the sanding.

hbf-14a019.jpg

Time for the second intake and then it is back to the cockpit.

Cheers,

Anders

Cockpit it is... not my favourite modeling task, as noted elsewhere. :bandhead2:

I feel that HB has done a decent job on this area, and many details not present in other kits are provided.

On the other hand, the quite prominent circuit breaker panels (not pictured) are rather plain.

Perhaps a bit of a waste on an all plastic cockpit, but since the Aires seats are already there I decided to also borrow the control sticks for the pilot and RIO along with the throttle from the Aires cockpit.

hbf-14a020.jpg

Painted with a base coat of Tamiya XF-54 (reasonably close to something like FS36231) followed by a masking session and then a coat of XF-69 NATO Black.

hbf-14a021.jpg

The knee panels (correct word?) were painted separately and now installed.

The somewhat tedious detail painting using suitable Vallejo colors has begun.

hbf-14a022.jpg

To be continued... and hopefully done soon! :blink:

Cheers,

Anders

Thanks, Guy!

I confess I just slap some paint on them with a hairy stick! ;)

:jaw-dropping:

Well, judging from your excellent results on the Tomcat cockpit I would say you have chosen the right tool for the job! :doh: ;)

But seriously, if there were decals to go over all the raised detail on the side panels I would probably go for it - if nothing else so at least to save me some time.

A little more progress has been made but some more details and a little weathering is still left to do.

hbf-14a023.jpg

Also, I will add a few levers and handles before I call this one done.

Cheers,

Anders

Cliff, I had a brief look at doing as per your suggestion and I am afraid it might be a bit of filling needed (as you mentioned) along the entire inner 'corner' of the intake where it meet the bottom fuselage, which in turn runs at a few different angles along the entire seam. It can definately be done but I am still leaning towards leaving it as is for this build.

Either way, I am looking forward to see your HB Tomcat build soon! :pray:

Had a final go at the first intake, below is a better view of the difference achieved with the sanding.

hbf-14a019.jpg

Time for the second intake and then it is back to the cockpit.

Cheers,

Anders

Wow!! The sanding alone is a big improvement and the cockpit is looking outstanding. Keep up the great work.

-Cliff