A friend of mine felt I need this kit, so he got it for me. Well, I took it home and of course, I couldn't just leave the parts in their bags! When I started dry-fitting a few items, I was impressed with how well they seemed to fit. So I just HAD to glue a few of them together... and of course then they needed some paint... One thing leads to another and all of a sudden I had this:

Ffloor48th005.jpg

Ffloor48th006.jpg

Ffloor48th007.jpg

It has a quick and dirty paint job as the clear pieces are on the poor side and I couldn't see spending a lot of time on the interior. The bulkheads and floors all fit nicely in the fuselage and will make a great starting point for someone who wants to super detail it. The Eduard set would dress it up quite well. Just replace the clear pieces so you can enjoy it! And these pictures show where I need to touch up some paint! ^_^

Edited by 100th BG

That is the brand new Revell B-17G. It is pretty much straight out of the box, I just added the sidewalls in the cockpit because I couldn't stand that exposed fuselage. Probably should have done something with the wing roots in the radio compartment, but I wasn't that energetic! It is interesting the amount of detail they put in the radio comparment, but then did nothing with the nose. There isn't even a bombardiers panel. The floor, the molded in nav table, the seats (which are very good for this scale) and a poor representation of the bombsight is it for the bom/nav area.

Oh Karl,

How I hate it when that happens... ...there are times when this hobby show's it dark, almost demonic side... when someone such as yourself is sucked into the black hole of progress... I feel for you buddy... flowers are on their way. Hope you get better soon!

In all seriousness, I like what I see. Especially with the construction and those wing spars stickin' out. The work is pretty good for sure.

What's this one going to be built as?

Cheers,

Mark.

That is the brand new Revell B-17G. It is interesting the amount of detail they put in the radio comparment, but then did nothing with the nose. There isn't even a bombardiers panel. The floor, the molded in nav table, the seats (which are very good for this scale)

Maybe Revell was thinking of "someones" curtins covering the nose details :(

Pics:

Nose detail installed, I said "screw it" to the framing details at the curtain opening. This was hard enough to attach.

5378420913_f3809f1554_z.jpg

5379020540_b476d3d68e_z.jpg

:thumbsup:

Lemme know if you want some of my "Bra curtains"

Do you take bulk orders? If so, can we order 1 whole bra, or 2?

Karl, all things said, you know, the more I look at it, the odder this kit is. Some of the easy details to get, are missed... and yet, some of the stuff that's extra, blows away the bigger brother (48 scale Forts... all of them)...

I remember asking "why the @#$% is this in here?" looking at some of the trumpeter kits (Ie., the tanks added into the 1/24 Hurricane that can't be seen unless you cut her right open)... seems one might be asking themselves the same thing here... all in all though, it's looking really good! Far better than I would have thought this kit OOB would have been, given some of the reviews I've read posted up about it. Great work good Sir!

Mark.

Hahaha... somehow I think comments of your use of bra's is going to make every build thread. Priceless! Simply priceless.

I'm use odd things from time to time, and odd methods of getting things accomplished, but that took the cake!

Karl,

I was curious to know, we've heard much ado about the interior of the kit, and the trenches for the panel lines... and other errors externally (such as the shape of the nose, you touched on the top turret), the inlets too I believe in the leading edge of the wing... but how about the rest?

How do the engines rate? And the rest of the details on the bomber itself?

Mark.

That is the brand new Revell B-17G. It is pretty much straight out of the box, I just added the sidewalls in the cockpit because I couldn't stand that exposed fuselage. Probably should have done something with the wing roots in the radio compartment, but I wasn't that energetic! It is interesting the amount of detail they put in the radio comparment, but then did nothing with the nose. There isn't even a bombardiers panel. The floor, the molded in nav table, the seats (which are very good for this scale) and a poor representation of the bombsight is it for the bom/nav area.

Karl,

Eduard makes a good 1/72 PE set for B-17 E/F and probably one for the G with color PE that has all the stuff oft side walls in the nose. I am using selected parts on my Model 299 and Y1B-17.

Jeff

Edited by Ranger74

Hi Jeff, I considered using that set as I have it, but after seeing how poor the clear pieces are I thought It would be a waste of a rather high dollar set. If I was going to take the time to do it up right, it would be worthwhile and really dress up the interior.

I learned a lesson today and not a good one: The plastic this kit is molded from is on the soft side. Well, apparently it does not take to Tamiya spray paints well. I used some of their AS-12 Bare Metal Silver. It crazed the plastic :jaw-dropping: ... Yes, I know to put it on in light coats and take your time. It did it anyway. Fortunately, I only did one wing outer panel and the horizontal stabilizers. I now return to my regularly unscheduled sanding. Grimble grumble...

Well, I sanded it down and, at the moment, I am waiting for the Tamiya primer I sprayed on to dry. Then I will try the silver again. I am only doing this to represent the exposed metal from where the deice boots were removed. Seems like I am making a LOT of extra work for myself... as usual ^_^ ! At this moment I intend to do it up as "Our Gal Sal" from (surprise, surprise) the 100th BG. I figure if I do her fairly early in her career, I won't have to deal with fading paint, a lot of weathering, or the armored windows. I will have to add the frame for the storm windows, but in this scale, just mask and paint should look ok. In this photo, she only has three missions, but the nose art has already been applied. Still a clean bird!

OurGalSal3.jpg

I was able to salvage the stabs and wing that the paint did its number on. I didn't get exactly the effect I was looking for, but it's close. So back to work on the other wing and filling seams and sink marks on the fuselage.

Wingstabs.jpg