The One and Only Boeing Model 299

All,

As mentioned as a possible build in the subjects topic, I want to reserve this space for my build of the Granddaddy of all B-17s, the Boeing Model 299. I have two of the Rareplane Y1B-17 kits and was I was torn between the 299 and the original Y1B-17A. Mark "pushed" me to the 299...lol. There are two major changes from the Model 299 when Boeing started the Y1B-17 after the 299 crashed. The engines were changed from P&W R-1690 Hornets to CW R-1820s, resulting in 25% increase in takeoff power. Additionally, the landing gear was changed from twin leg (like a DC-3), retacting to the rear, to single leg gear retracting froward. This was done to simplify tire/wheel servce & changes.

I guess this will be my first effort with Alclad lacquers as the Model 299 was always highly polished. Tamiya paints are good, but I haven't been able to get that polished look with them.

Jeff

Mark,

Whatever those two guys in your note were drinking,please send some to me! :woot.gif:

Prop Duster- I will attempt Mark's techniques for the frames. I do have photos of a good bit of the interiorfor the 299. As soon as I can get he photos off my camera I will posttwo of the 299 flight deck I am making with help of Eduard set.

Jeff

Mark,

Whatever those two guys in your note were drinking,please send some to me! :jaw-dropping: ...

Jeff,

It's not booze. I'm Polish remember... they're drinking water... I drink the stuff so rarely it has the same effect on me.

Looking forward to your build of 299. If I can give you one bit of advice I'm not happy about with my build... careful with how much thin glue you use... especially if doing the formers first, and then the stringers... you can see in mine after the silver was shot that it didn't come out nearly as crisp as I would have hoped. If you have a kleenex or tissue when doing this, roll a corner with your finger tips so that it's a fine point. When you apply the thin glue at one end of the frame, within a few seconds, quickly run that point down the joint between the frame and the fuselage piece, it'll soak up any excess. Do it quickly or you'll end up with tissue paper stuck onto your model (but that's okay, because you'll have a handy piece of tissue to wipe your soon to form tears with if this happens).

I tried it on a scrap piece of plastic to see how it would work and am kicking myself that I didn't do this before. There is hardly a trace of glue anywhere, and there is certainly more than enough still present to hold the pieces of frame to the fuselage.

I'll be doing this in the radio room with the little bit of frame left to do there, along with under the cockpit, and the aft fuselage half... another lesson learned the hard way.

Hope this helps!

Mark.

Jeff,

It's not booze. I'm Polish remember... they're drinking water... I drink the stuff so rarely it has the same effect on me.

Looking forward to your build of 299. If I can give you one bit of advice I'm not happy about with my build... careful with how much thin glue you use... especially if doing the formers first, and then the stringers... you can see in mine after the silver was shot that it didn't come out nearly as crisp as I would have hoped. If you have a kleenex or tissue when doing this, roll a corner with your finger tips so that it's a fine point. When you apply the thin glue at one end of the frame, within a few seconds, quickly run that point down the joint between the frame and the fuselage piece, it'll soak up any excess. Do it quickly or you'll end up with tissue paper stuck onto your model (but that's okay, because you'll have a handy piece of tissue to wipe your soon to form tears with if this happens).

I tried it on a scrap piece of plastic to see how it would work and am kicking myself that I didn't do this before. There is hardly a trace of glue anywhere, and there is certainly more than enough still present to hold the pieces of frame to the fuselage.

I'll be doing this in the radio room with the little bit of frame left to do there, along with under the cockpit, and the aft fuselage half... another lesson learned the hard way.

Hope this helps!

Mark.

Thanks Mark. Had similar issue with wheel well/nacelles, as the smaller parts were swimming in the glue.That has now been hidden with the gear up...see the Y1B-17 build for photos of results. I will be better prepared for the 299 as I have more references for the wheel wells.

Doesn't Vodka look and smell like water...........................taste is a little different, eh!

Jeff

Edited by Ranger74

This started out to be flight deck for the Y1B-17, but will now be used in the Model 299. Still need to add two more seats behind the pilot seats. Also need to hide the glue marks. The seat posts in 1/72 scale are sooooooo tiny:

299flightdeck1.jpg

299flightdeck2.jpg

my research indicates the flight deck had a brown/OD carpet, hence floor color. The control wheels still need painting, the outer rims are wood on the Model 299. These wheels are correct for the early models, but are incorrect for the B-17E/F Eduard made them for. Later steering wheels were just barely over half a circle, these are more like 3/4 of a circle. Hope this is not confusing.

The base for the instrument panel, throttle quadrant etc, was scratched using Academy B-17B part as model. Then added new Eduard interior set for B-17E/F. Please ignore the several missing levers above and below the throttle levers, couldn't get them all in. I have been seeking counseling ever since taking a couple hours trying to install the throttle levers and the other sub-minature levers..............I think I will go to the Czech republic and drink all of their Pils, just to punish Eduard for putting me thru this :) :cheers:

I build 1/72 because of shelf space, cost and better selection of 1920-30s planes, but sometimes I want to kick myself for working in that scale :unsure:

Jeff

Jeff, awesome work! Where did the control yokes come from?I'd like some for my 48th scale D model.

All the levers were in the Eduard B-17E/F Interior, Self adhesive set. You need some find pointed pliers, put on your Optivisor, grab the knob end, dip in slow setting super CA glue and try to hit the slot where you want the part to go. The throttle levers have PE for the upright parts and some thin brass rod for the handles (cross-pieces). The cross pieces are supposed to be split into left and right helves, but then they would be too small to grab. At the scale 6-10ft viewers would have looking into the cockpit, it shouldn't be noticeable.

Jeff

The seat posts in 1/72 scale are sooooooo tiny:

299flightdeck2.jpg

I build 1/72 because of shelf space, cost and better selection of 1920-30s planes, but sometimes I want to kick myself for working in that scale :whistle:

Jeff

I,too love the scale-hate the size (of scratch or AM details)

your work is great :lol:

Thanks, all. You encouragement keeps me from jumping off my roof.....

You can't see it because of the paint, but I have annonted the model with my blood...happens with any model where an exacto blade is involved! :thumbsup:

Jeff

Thanks, all. You encouragement keeps me from jumping off my roof.....

You can't see it because of the paint, but I have annonted the model with my blood...happens with any model where an exacto blade is involved! :thumbsup:

Jeff

For years when I was younger this was a staple of my modeling. ALmost every model at some point I would sever the tip of one of my fingers quite severely. Now that I got back into it I've been doing models for almost a year again and it hasn't happened yet. I guess that old "with age..." nonsense is true. But I'm sure it'll happen soon.

Have located the correct P&W R-1690 SIEG engines for the 299, only one company seems to make em...Engine & Things. I have one example of a different version of the R-1690 and there is nothing discernible as cylinder heads between the push rods. The vacformed R-1820s that came with the kit put the E&T product to shame!

I believe Aeroclub made them, but the company is temporarily OOB.

Does anyone else know of a source for the P&W R-1690s? The big thing is the oil sump at the 6 o-clock position makes it difficult to use most other 9-cylinder engines.

Jeff

Have located the correct P&W R-1690 SIEG engines for the 299, only one company seems to make em...Engine & Things. I have one example of a different version of the R-1690 and there is nothing discernible as cylinder heads between the push rods. The vacformed R-1820s that came with the kit put the E&T product to shame!

I believe Aeroclub made them, but the company is temporarily OOB.

Does anyone else know of a source for the P&W R-1690s? The big thing is the oil sump at the 6 o-clock position makes it difficult to use most other 9-cylinder engines.

Jeff

I may have something, I'll look into it and get back to you. The good Sir is quite busy this week but I'm sure I'll be able to steal a few seconds from him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the break, but I restarted this week. I had an epiphany, and it was painful :whistle: , I am sacrificing my Academy B-17B for the fuselage and will use my RarePlane kit for the wings, nose, nose turret, cockpit canopy, engine cowlings and maybe the tail.

newnose.jpg

newnose2.jpg

I figured it would be easier to splice the RarePlane nose onto the Academy fuselage and the windows are different and the notch under the nose for the bombardier are different. My cuts weren't real great, but some filler, sanding and scribing should take care of it. With the struggle I have been having trying to close up the fuselage on my Y1B-17. Vac kits can be a real hassle at times....kinda like old 60s-era Airfix kits.

I have opened up the top hatch and two side windows for the cockpit canopy, using the RarePlane vac part. I thought about using the Academy part, but the cockpit canopy on the B-model changed too much.

canopyhatch.jpg

sidewindows.jpg

sidewindows2.jpg

I have a copy of a photo of the 299 from above and behind, while taxiing with the roof hatch open. Future will take care of the scratches.

I am combining cockpit parts shown above with Academy kit parts to ease the build.

There is only one paint scheme for this beast - polished aluminum, so will be first try with Alclad.

Edited by Ranger74