Gary Storck's Typhoon

Gary,

You asked for feedback in your article about your Hawker Typhoon, so here goes.

First, welcome back to the hobby. This is a great hobby and you will find that there are a lot of people here and on other modeling boards who will give you feedback and help you improve your skill with each model you build. Those old Airfix kits are great fun to build, and probably a good choice for a first build, but they are very rough and lack the detail of the more modern kits.

Seams - the seams between parts should be invisible unless the seam is on a panel line, then the seam should be dressed after joining to look like a panel line. Your Typhoon has very obvious seams both top and bottom on the fuselage. These can be erased by filing them with modeling putty and sanding them flush before painting. Of course, on a model with raised detail like the Airfix kit, you stand to lose some of the raised detail when you sand.

Ejector pin marks - the ejector pin marks are very visible in the wheel wells of your model. These should be removed by sanding and/or scrapping before assembly and before painting.

Brush strokes - the model has brush strokes in the paint job. Try thinning the paint more before brush painting. Practice your technique on a scrap model or other piece of plastic to perfect it before committing to painting a model again.

If you are serious about modeling and want to improve your ability, then I would suggest buying a more modern kit. You will see a world of difference in the quality and ease of build. If 1/72 is your scale of choice, then I would recommend a Tamiya kit such as the P-47 or FW 190A-3. You may also want to invest in an airbrush for painting your models. A good airbrush and compressor will cost a few dollars, but will be an investment towards better modeling that will last for years!

You may also want to invest in a basic modeling manual to help improve your skills.

I recommend Modelling Scale Aircraft by Brett Green http://www.amazon.com/Modelling-Scale-Airc.../ref=pd_sim_b_2

and Modeler's Guide to Realistic Painting & Finishing by Jeff Wilson http://www.amazon.com/Modelers-Realistic-P.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY MODELLING!

Thanks for the feedback. I will try a newer kit and use your suggestions. I appreciate the information.

Gary

Gary,

You asked for feedback in your article about your Hawker Typhoon, so here goes.

First, welcome back to the hobby. This is a great hobby and you will find that there are a lot of people here and on other modeling boards who will give you feedback and help you improve your skill with each model you build. Those old Airfix kits are great fun to build, and probably a good choice for a first build, but they are very rough and lack the detail of the more modern kits.

Seams - the seams between parts should be invisible unless the seam is on a panel line, then the seam should be dressed after joining to look like a panel line. Your Typhoon has very obvious seams both top and bottom on the fuselage. These can be erased by filing them with modeling putty and sanding them flush before painting. Of course, on a model with raised detail like the Airfix kit, you stand to lose some of the raised detail when you sand.

Ejector pin marks - the ejector pin marks are very visible in the wheel wells of your model. These should be removed by sanding and/or scrapping before assembly and before painting.

Brush strokes - the model has brush strokes in the paint job. Try thinning the paint more before brush painting. Practice your technique on a scrap model or other piece of plastic to perfect it before committing to painting a model again.

If you are serious about modeling and want to improve your ability, then I would suggest buying a more modern kit. You will see a world of difference in the quality and ease of build. If 1/72 is your scale of choice, then I would recommend a Tamiya kit such as the P-47 or FW 190A-3. You may also want to invest in an airbrush for painting your models. A good airbrush and compressor will cost a few dollars, but will be an investment towards better modeling that will last for years!

You may also want to invest in a basic modeling manual to help improve your skills.

I recommend Modelling Scale Aircraft by Brett Green http://www.amazon.com/Modelling-Scale-Airc.../ref=pd_sim_b_2

and Modeler's Guide to Realistic Painting & Finishing by Jeff Wilson http://www.amazon.com/Modelers-Realistic-P.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY MODELLING!