F-16CJ 23rd FS "Fighting Hawks" Operational Loadout

I'm wondering if anybody out there knows if the 23rd FS took the Sniper/HTS to OIF/OEF? I have the pic of the 22nd FS with that combo and nicely bombed up and that's been featured in a thread on ARC before (Stingers)and there are also pics out there of the 23rd FS with the Sniper/HTS combo (Fighting Hawks) , but I haven't been able to find any operational pics of the 23rd with that config. Any info or better yet pics much appreciated.

Thx,

Marcel

G'Day Marcel,

If you don't mind me asking what kit and scale are you building? I ask because I am keen to build a 23rd Jet in 1-32. The Airliners net pic you have put up is from the Same Red Flag Ex we took our F-111's over and flew with those guys and I've been keen to do one of their Dirty Jets since (I'm still waiting for some 1-32 389th F-15E decals too! ans While we're at it a 1-32 F-111C, F-22 and I'll build the whole flightline!).

I notice most of your builds are 1-32 so I'm hoping this is the same and you'll be able to point me in the right direction I am fairly knowlegable on Aircraft but the minute variations between dfferent Block F-16's still have me baffled. Apparently the 23rd Jets are block 30? I was hoping to use the Academy F-16CJ Kit (Tamiya is a bit $$$ if I can avoid it, I would definitely love a big T-Bird one Day though!) don't suppose you'd know whether It's possible OOB wth the Academy kit? and I am chasing decals what brand are you using, and do they have any in 1-32?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Cheers

Cairnsy

The 23rd flies the Block 50, which is possible OOB with the Academy kit. Heavyweight gear, MCID (Big Mouth) intake, and GE exhaust. Any other questions about the Blocks, don't hesitate to ask. I've got the Modern Viper Guide by Jake Melampy, and it goes over them very well.

As for decals, I'll let Marcel take over on that, as he's probably done some research into it.

Aaron

G'Day Marcel,

If you don't mind me asking what kit and scale are you building? I ask because I am keen to build a 23rd Jet in 1-32. The Airliners net pic you have put up is from the Same Red Flag Ex we took our F-111's over and flew with those guys and I've been keen to do one of their Dirty Jets since (I'm still waiting for some 1-32 389th F-15E decals too! ans While we're at it a 1-32 F-111C, F-22 and I'll build the whole flightline!).

I notice most of your builds are 1-32 so I'm hoping this is the same and you'll be able to point me in the right direction I am fairly knowlegable on Aircraft but the minute variations between dfferent Block F-16's still have me baffled. Apparently the 23rd Jets are block 30? I was hoping to use the Academy F-16CJ Kit (Tamiya is a bit $$$ if I can avoid it, I would definitely love a big T-Bird one Day though!) don't suppose you'd know whether It's possible OOB wth the Academy kit? and I am chasing decals what brand are you using, and do they have any in 1-32?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Cheers

Cairnsy

Cairnsy,

As Aaron pointed out, the 23rd jets are CJ's i.e. Block 50. I will be using the 1/32 Tamiya kit, in my opinion the best 1/32 kit ever made (I only do modern jets), easily worth the money. You will want to purchase the Astra sheet, it's also available at Hannants and other places.

Note that if you do the Sniper/HTS combo you'll have to transplant the HTS to the opposite side. You can get the Sniper pod at Wolpack resin.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS Nice on one having been at that Red Flag!!

Edited by Marcel111

The 23 during OIF (2003 when it kicked off) would not of had SNIPER pods at that time (got them around 05, I think). Not sure if they flew LANTIRNS or had LIGHTNING pods on there A/C. At that same time F-15E's jsut got LIGHTNING. I do know first hand that they were flying 3x AIM-120s (more then likly it was a mix of A, B and C models. We were getting a mix at Al Uded at the time, A and B are identical) and 1 AIM-9LM with a GBU-31V1 or V3 JDAM on one side and a CBU-103 WCMD on the other. Some were flying SEAD with AGM-88 HARM with only a HTS pod. Wish I could remember more but it was 7 years ago and I was working Strike Eagles at that time.

Now around 2005 they started to Fly SNIPER pods with 2 GBU-38s on a BRU-57 "Super rack" (sprue brothers had a few in 1/72, have not seen them any larger. I need one for my build for the time I spent in the 23rd. But may be able to modify a Navy duel rack to look like it) on side and 2 GBU-12s on TER on the other. They are not flying a HTS now sense there is no reason to fly SEAD (suppression of enemy air defence) missions over in OIF/OEF. Still with 3 AIM-120s mostly B and C models and one AIM-9LM (now they are flying AIM-9Xs. Just not sure if they are in the AOR, most units 15s, 16s just fly 120s and A-10 units fly no A-A missiles.

They are all F-16CJ Block 52 now also...

Hope this helps some

Edited by Burnout55th

What unit were you with when you worked with Strikes? Also, Shawn Hull (www.shull24.com) makes the BRU-57 in 1/48 scale. I've not seen one in 1/32...like you said, you'd have to mod a CVER for that. Shawn's wife is active-duty Air Force, and just got deployed last weekend for a year, so he closed down shop for a few weeks. Should be up and running some time in mid-to-late March. He's a great guy to deal with, and his stuff is excellent.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801
What unit were you with when you worked with Strikes? Also, Shawn Hull (www.shull24.com) makes the BRU-57 in 1/48 scale. I've not seen one in 1/32...like you said, you'd have to mod a CVER for that. Shawn's wife is active-duty Air Force, and just got deployed last weekend for a year, so he closed down shop for a few weeks. Should be up and running some time in mid-to-late March. He's a great guy to deal with, and his stuff is excellent.

Aaron

At that time the 336th